Page 3 of 504 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Default Re: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash View Post
    Does anyone know "realistic" anime movies or series similiar to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade or Grave of the Fireflies? Also well written, hand drawn anime movies are welcome as long as they are not this new generation, people with elephant size eyes and kid heroes movies like Naruto and the rest.
    Patlabor
    Patlabor 2
    Wings of Honneamise
    Anything by Studio Ghibli
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Castle in the Sky
    My Neighbour Totoro
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Only Yesterday
    Porco Rosso
    Whisper of the Heart
    Princess Mononoke
    My Neighbours the Yamadas
    Spirited Away
    Howl's Moving Castle

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword of Cao Cao View Post
    I may hate anime, but I'm still willing to give some a chance.

Something that has not been what I call "Otaku'd." If a headband or entire clothing line exists for this anime, and it's popular, it's out the question. The fanbase for this **** seriously makes me cringe while watching it, to the point of not being able to enjoy it.

Historical, or historicaly inspired. I know I'm a samurai nut, but I've had enough samurai for awhile, ninja are still accepted (If you say Naruto, Mehrab consider this friendship over ;p) so I obviously mean something that isnt insanely immature and idiotic, like "ninjas" screaming thier heads off and running around in orange jumpsuits.

Actually I'd love to see history from other time periods/countries, especially ancient China or Korea. But not that terrible cheap looking ROTK anime form the early 90's. No sir.

Asides from historical, a "scary" anime, as in something actually creepy would be awesome. I've always wanted to be creeped out by a cartoon.

And of course military type based/warfare ones would be awesome too.
    Try the Ghibli films. Or try some wuxia series (not films). Try the 2003 adaptation of She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan (Eagle shooting Hero), 42 episodes long, whose early parts contain a interesting look at the Mongol way of life. In short, don't judge until you've seen the better examples of the culture - Miyazaki himself said that 90+% of all anime is pure garbage, but it'll be silly to lump him in with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    What did you like about Kenshin and Champloo? The fights and their exposition and tension? The historical setting or allusions? The characterization? The storyline or pacing?

Do you want another samurai anime, or would you like one that's in the same feel as the other two but not necessarily involving katanas?
    I like everything. I just hate animes with magical power and stuff.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Is there any anime along the lines of Texhnolyze or .hack//sign

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    I like everything. I just hate animes with magical power and stuff.

Oh geez. That's a pretty tall order, and vague too! Let's see...

So you're saying any genre will do? Not another samurai anime, or maybe a giant robot show?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanized Spartain
    Is there any anime along the lines of Texhnolyze or .hack//sign
    Are you interested in the drama of these shows, or the general feel of its science fiction? As in, do you want something imaginative and strange for a setting and plot, or are you more interested in the directing and acting style of these shows, and where it doesn't matter if its sci-fi or not?

Only acceptable Anime of all times:
    Berserk.

(dragonball too.Such a great story.No extremely female Men.)

I just watched Graves of the Fireflies and Im so embarassed to admit that I cried like a baby watching it. I guess Im just too sensitive.
    Oh geez. That's a pretty tall order, and vague too! Let's see...
    Actually just give me a nice anime with historical background. Samurai is preferable but others are okay, too.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto, a show set in the Bakumatsu, the civil war mentioned in Rurouni Kenshin.

Zipang is also a novel historical anime, based around a Japanese Self Defense Naval ship named the Mirai. Through some strange phenomenon out at sea, it is trasported back in time to World War II's Pacific Theater, and is inevitably drawn into the conflict.

My favorite 'nice anime with historical background' is definitely Steamboy. Solid story, and the attention to detail is magnificent. I'm sure you'll love it, and it's a bit more uplifting to watch than Grave of the Fireflies, lol.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

w/out magic stuff...got it

Honey And Clover

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Dismounted H@Xx0rZ's Avatar Centenarius

Mobile Suit Gundam, MS Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, MS Gundam: The 08th MS Team, MS Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, MS Zeta Gundam, MS ZZ Gundam, MS Gundam: Char's Counterattack, MS Victory Gundam.

Everything else is crap. MS Gundam SEED.
    Current Threat Level:

Also, join the CLC!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=223

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Roy Mustang View Post
    w/out magic stuff...got it

Honey And Clover
    Lol, I actually checked that anime out on Youtube and I was like, "Goddamn you Roy Mustang!"

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto, a show set in the Bakumatsu, the civil war mentioned in Rurouni Kenshin.

Zipang is also a novel historical anime, based around a Japanese Self Defense Naval ship named the Mirai. Through some strange phenomenon out at sea, it is trasported back in time to World War II's Pacific Theater, and is inevitably drawn into the conflict.

My favorite 'nice anime with historical background' is definitely Steamboy. Solid story, and the attention to detail is magnificent. I'm sure you'll love it, and it's a bit more uplifting to watch than Grave of the Fireflies, lol.
    I will check them out. Thanks.

Update: Those animes sound fantastic and I just found out they are all available on the ****ing Youtube! God be praised for its invention. LOL
    Last edited by jankren; December 25, 2007 at 06:02 AM.

hey you ask for a non magic stuff!!

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

Are you interested in the drama of these shows, or the general feel of its science fiction? As in, do you want something imaginative and strange for a setting and plot, or are you more interested in the directing and acting style of these shows, and where it doesn't matter if its sci-fi or not?
    I like the drama and acting of these shows and setting isn't important to me.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

An MV based on Patlabor 2.

A Japanese UN peacekeeping force, patrolling in labors (armoured vehicles/mechas) is ambushed by insurgents. The leader seeks permission to fire, but the mission denies this. One by one, the labors are taken out by RPGs. The only survivor climbs out of his wrecked labor.

Cut to a time some years later. Life has been uneventful in Japan. An off-duty police officer joins the commuter traffic returning home from work. The queue at a bridge is seemingly endless, as a suspicious car left abandoned on the bridge is investigated. Suddenly there is a huge explosion, shocking all onlookers. In the aftermath of this explosion, the Japanese state breaks down, as different branches of the government blame each other for the incident.

A dark look at the effects of terrorism on society, Patlabor 2 precedes 9/11 by a decade, and the film looks at many of the themes that would eventually become key concepts in the theory of 4th generation warfare. Other than some widely separated patches, the film is distinctly lacking in action, with far more time dedicated to setting mood and exploring plot, themes, and character.

saw steam boy.......wow it was 2d right.......right?!

i think i'll check Zipang coz ohhh an aegis type destroyer in the middle of the pacific........DIZ I GOTTA SEE

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Chevalier D'Eon, which I don't think he mentioned but I found, looks like a great historical one. Set in the French Revolution, about a great swordsman.
    Team Member <3

saw it...not impressed.......well coz the main character looks like his sister

a lotta historical figures are well plying a role like

Madame de Pompadour
    Empress of Russia
    King of France and his mother

its more like resident evil meets.....i dunnoh just lots of zombies and the "Glory of France" blah blah...........it was great though that i can see a good sword fight with this time NOT a samurai...and oh yeah did i mention those really nice costumes??...............with all this ETW hype........maybe i'll be watching this

I really like the Gundam series, I've only seen a few episodes of each one (on TV) because I can't seem to find anywhere that has all the episodes. I'm looking into Pumpkin Scissors and FMP tomorrow.

I did watch Ghost in the Shell last night and enjoyed it a lot.
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword of Cao Cao View Post
    Chevalier D'Eon, which I don't think he mentioned but I found, looks like a great historical one. Set in the French Revolution, about a great swordsman.
    It's 50 years before the French Revolution occured

Quote Originally Posted by Romanized Spartan
    I like the drama and acting of these shows and setting isn't important to me.
    I would definitely check out shows like Air, Clannad, Blue Gender, Blood+, Chobits, Code Geass, and Fate/Stay Night.

That type of serious acting and introversion is very popular in all genres of anime, so the list is quite expansive.
    Last edited by Sher Khan; December 25, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Macross Plus - For those who like Gundam but want something else. Kind of a nonsensical in parts but very good if watched with a light heart. It's sort of like Star Wars meets Top Gun.

Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade has already been mentioned by some, but I would like to add some weight to others' words by saying that this is the kind of movie that changed my opinion on anime. It isn't just the "I will now destroy you with my super death kill powers!" anime; it's a good movie.

Bio Hunters is an adult-themed anime but makes for a good watch in the same sense that 300 was a fun flick.

Ghost in the Shell has also been mentioned before, but I would like to point out that I didn't care for the various spin-offs and sequel(s ?). It is a pseudo-realistic anime, spoiled only by the tendency for the main character to shed her clothes in gunfights, presumably so that she can turn invisible. Why this wouldn't work with her clothes and armor on was never explained and frankly makes no sense.

Akira is another movie classic. Get it. Watch it now. I wouldn't recommend watching it under the influence of any psychedelics, however.

That's all I've got for now.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken