Page 2 of 504 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Default Re: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Like I said, this will be hands on. I won't recommend from the get go, I'll listen to what the person needs and answer back accordingly.

What do you like about mecha? Are you open to all types, or is there a set 'feel' to the mecha show you're looking for? Kiddy? Realistic? Hot-blooded? Political? Introspective? Mindless action?

There are mecha shows of all types, as varied as anime itself really. There are some Gundam shows that are absolutely brilliant, by the way. Unless you've seen them all, I'm sure you'll like one or two depending on the type of show you want to watch.

Anything that isn't bolded, Preferably something that will make me think too.

Anyways, Gundam was really good but the franchise is just too milked out, But the 8th Ms team was brilliant though.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

OMG i think i;ll watch this one Pumpkin Scissors

expect to me change y account and avatar

thanks ..............anyway anyone heard yukikaze?? or Megas XLR

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Yes Death Note was soooooooooooo goood best anime ive seen in a long time!!!! I watched the subs btw.... L's dub voice is really crappy
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Silo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar4 View Post
    Yes Death Note was soooooooooooo goood best anime ive seen in a long time!!!! I watched the subs btw.... L's dub voice is really crappy
    watched subbed too, so I don't know about the english voices, but the japanese were very good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silo View Post
    What about Death Note?
    Anyone who hasn't seen that yet should watch it.
    It's one of the best animes I've seen so far imho.
    Ok it isn't as good as the manga but still excellent.
    Are there any other similar, less known (because I've seen most well-known animes), animes that you could recommend?

So what was it about Death Note that you would want to see in another show? I ask because DN is a pretty original in some aspects, and would be hard to compare in a general sense. If you could break down what you feel you liked about the show, then I could start comparing of what I know.

Did you like the atmosphere? The art direction and style? Did you like the main-character being 'evil'? Did you like the genius vs. genius thing they had going? The complicated but satisfying and dramatic plans L and Kira hatched against each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Roy Mustang
    OMG i think i;ll watch this one Pumpkin Scissors

expect to me change y account and avatar

thanks ..............anyway anyone heard yukikaze?? or Megas XLR
    Ah, my first satisfied customer! I hope you find the show to your liking (and if not, or when done, please consider checking out Full Metal Panic!).

I saw Yukikaze, and I know Megas XLR. GONZO didn't mess it up as bad as they could have, being GONZO, so it was pretty good in its own right. Megas might be your kind of thing, but I don't really like that kind of American-anime show, and probably not that style of mecha.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus
    Anything that isn't bolded, Preferably something that will make me think too.

Anyways, Gundam was really good but the franchise is just too milked out, But the 8th Ms team was brilliant though.
    Well, I could help you zero in on a few other good Gundam series if you'd like. What Gundam shows have you seen thus far? Are you watching the currently airing Gundam 00? It's quite good so far.

Aside from Gundam, you might want to check out a bit of Full Metal Panic! like I recommended to Roy. It's normal storyline is a basic, intelligent mecha anime that's tries to be very mature in its approach.

Eureka Seven is also a similar show, but the emphasis is sometimes lost on the mecha in favor of the characters and their importance within the storyline.

Code Geass is an excellent show, in my opinion. I would recommend it solely for its political action, but it does have great realistic-robot action as well.

For a more dated or rustic approach to mecha, try The Vision of Escaflowne. Perhaps you've already seen this very famous series, but I'm sure you would like it if you have not.

So which above have you seen already/have not seen/would like to know more about? And as an aside, have you seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

Yuki has the raddest dog fights concievable and they have this really cool airplanes that at first look unrealistic but once you thinl it over it actually makes a nice plane...............TOO BAD IT WAS SO SHOOOOOOOOOORT

naruto appealed to me at first because of the intersting heirarchy involved but it evetually turned into an emo fest an flash back scenes dominating

plus i hate japanese coz of this SASUKE-KUN!!! ARU!!! EDU!!! OH C'MON !!!

TAISU ROYAI MAAAHSTAAANG

SHEESH......................I puke with that plus the fact that Edward Elrics voice is similar to Naruto............tebayuuuuuuuuu

and oh yeah one more thing

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    IF YOU WANT TO GO ENJOYING YOUR ANIME, NEVER EVER SEARCH FOR THERE VOICE ACTORS COZ THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE THAT ANIME AND HEAR THE VOICE, A DIFFERENT IMAGE APPEARS, when i saw Eds eng voice actor, i think something inside of died oooooooooook enought emo crap

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

Well, you could just search for their Japanese voice actors. They, usually, are decent looking.

nahhh..too busy...tebayuuuuuuuuuu

why the hell naruto kept saying that all the time when he speaks

It's a speech mannerism. The Japanese language has some end-sentence modifiers that speakers can use to denote 'speaking style' or 'personalized tics'.

Naruto is using a form of 'dattebayo' which doesn't mean anything, really. It's sort of tagged on to make his speech a bit more brash or self-important. Like an accent or dialect.

Other characters in anime use things like this if you pay close attention. The most common one is ~desu, which is basically the more formal form of ~ttebayo that Naruto uses.

Something like:
    "I will defeat you, dattebayo!"
    -->
    "I will defeat you. I said it/that's how it is/BELIEVE IT."

Some don't really make any sense, and are just used as a speech modifier to make some characters more unique or recognizable, like Tsuruya's ~nyoron from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

wow they have there own dialect...................

but nothing beats a good Yaoi fan girl wrting a fanfiction

i;ve read some and some are actually quite good enough to be well made an episode or its just the emptiness in me now that Fullmetal Alchemist is...............over

Actually, the manga is still running in Japan.

Also, here's a more detailed description of what I was going for:

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    だってばよ itself doesn’t mean much. It is just another way to end a sentence. Many people thinks this means “I said”. It is true to some extent, but not exactly true.

Japanese sentences can be ended with variety of ways. Even you use same set of words, depends on the ending you use it can be formal, masculine or feminine. You cannot translate those endings into English. No matter which endings you use, the english translation would be exactly the same. However, in Japanese, the endings gives the characters to the sentence, gives the impression of who the person is, what the person really wants to emphasize etc. You can make same old sentence to your own character.

だってばよ, the ending Naruto uses gives an image of a strong-will kid who is trying to get his point/opinion accross. It is truly Naruto-ish, because he’s been struggling to get attentions from others and to have them recognize him. When he ends sentences with this ending, it gives the power to whatever he said, make it a bit aggressive.

People don’t use this ending normally, unless they’re Naruto fan. Also, using this ending makes it sound somewhat childish.

In Naruto, there’re so many ways characters end the sentences. For example, when you ask “What is your favorite Ramen taste?”, each of them answers:

Naruto: 味噌ラーメンだってばよ (Miso Ramen Dattebayo)
    Kakashi: 味噌ラーメン (Miso Ramen)
    Sasuke: 味噌ラーメンだ (Miso Ramen Da)
    Saukura: 味噌ラーメンよ (Miso Ramen Yo)
    Lee; Miso 味噌ラーメンです (Ramen Desu)
    Kankuro: 味噌ラーメンじゃん (Miso Ramen Jan)
    Konohamaru: 味噌ラーメンだこれ (Miso Ramen Da-Kore)

Everybody’s answer is Miso ramen, which is actually Naruto’s favorite. But everybody ends their answer with different endings. When translating this to English, all are translated to “It’s Miso Ramen”. But in Japanese, you can tell who are those people just with those endings.

Naruto, of course ends with “Dattebayo”. He does want to make sure you hear it, and shows his strong will.

Then, Kakashi. He doesn’t add any extra endings. He’s cool and doesn’t like anything extra. Just a simple answer.

Sasuke ends with a very short ending, “da”. This is a masculine ending. This also gives you an impression that he isn’t interested in this conversation and he can care less.

Sakura ends with “yo”, which is normally a girly ending. It makes the sentence soft. You hear Orochimaru ends some of his sentences with “yo”. It makes an impression of him being feminine, the reason why many people things he’s gay : )

Lee’s answer ends with “desu”. This ending makes the sentence formal. It’s polite, like Lee is. Lee always speaks in very polite matter, no matter who the opponent is. He respects everybody, and never underestimate them. He speaks politely even to people younger than him gives you the idea who he is.

The ending Kankuro uses, “jan” was once considered to be trendy. This is a young people’s way of talking. People still use this ending these days, too. This ending was first used in city of Yokohama, now spread all over Japan. This ending also gives a toughness to the character. It’s like a young rough people’s way.

Finally, the Konohamaru. This is the ending that no other japanese people use. The ending gives an impression of a little boy trying to be a grown up. It’s similar to Dattebayo, but more like a trying to be smart, rather than just trying to make his point across.

Anyway, one thing to remember is the Japanese language is a language of “feeling”. People use some words because it “sounds cool”, it conveys the feeling. Also, a beautiful sentence is not a sentence with correct grammar. It’s a sentence that sounds beautiful, gives a beautiful image.

Which word you chose for the subject (I, You, etc) and ending is the key to make your sentence friendly, polite or totally rude.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus View Post
    Mainly Because it's No argument, NGE Obviously

My Fanboyism aside, Is there Any other Good Mech Based shows that aren't gundam (Which is to milked out) Or RahXephon ? (Because I've already seen RahXephon)
    Patlabor. Get the movies.

Hellsing, the OVA in particulair. The TV-series just lost it's point and strayed too far from the manga. The TV series also looked a little too kiddy compared to the OVA.

And LovaHina, which was fun for a while.

And of course, GTO! I've never fully seen a movie/episode but my friends highly recommend it and the short clips I see crack me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Well, I could help you zero in on a few other good Gundam series if you'd like. What Gundam shows have you seen thus far? Are you watching the currently airing Gundam 00? It's quite good so far.

Aside from Gundam, you might want to check out a bit of Full Metal Panic! like I recommended to Roy. It's normal storyline is a basic, intelligent mecha anime that's tries to be very mature in its approach.

Eureka Seven is also a similar show, but the emphasis is sometimes lost on the mecha in favor of the characters and their importance within the storyline.

Code Geass is an excellent show, in my opinion. I would recommend it solely for its political action, but it does have great realistic-robot action as well.

For a more dated or rustic approach to mecha, try The Vision of Escaflowne. Perhaps you've already seen this very famous series, but I'm sure you would like it if you have not.

So which above have you seen already/have not seen/would like to know more about? And as an aside, have you seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
    I've seen the 008th MS team, As well as Gundam wing and the Original series. I saw a bit of SEED to, which i didn't like.

Other then that thank's for your suggestions, I've watched the first two episodes of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and i really enjoyed it. I've also been looking for Escaflowne on the Net, But all i can find are German and French dub's without subtitles which i found odd.

And i've never seen Tengen Toppa, Have heard of it though.

Well, search on isohunt.com if you must, but nothing beats a good show on DVD played on a large screen.

For Gundam, I recommend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket and Gundam 0083: Stardust memory. These are older than Wing and 08th MS Team, but are very excellent Gundam shows. Turn A Gundam is also excellent, although slightly different in feel and direction than a normal Gundam show (a beautiful anime in its own right, rather than just another Gundam anime).

As for Gurren Lagann, I highly recommend you check it out and see what you think of it. It's a mix of realistic robot anime and the more ridiculous giant-robo anime genre. The show is no where near as tech-savvy as other robot anime, and it has almost ridiculous robot action, but the story and characters are masterfully presented and developed.

It's a big change of pace from what you normally see in mecha anime, but it's extremely popular and well-liked by fans of all kinds. I really recommend checking it out if you have the time, you may find it worth your time even if it doesn't fit the exact type of mecha you're looking for.

Silo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So what was it about Death Note that you would want to see in another show? I ask because DN is a pretty original in some aspects, and would be hard to compare in a general sense. If you could break down what you feel you liked about the show, then I could start comparing of what I know.

Did you like the atmosphere? The art direction and style? Did you like the main-character being 'evil'? Did you like the genius vs. genius thing they had going? The complicated but satisfying and dramatic plans L and Kira hatched against each other?
    That's the problem exactly. I've seen a lot of animes but Death Note is just different. Maybe I am just looking for another anime that stands outside of the crowd you could say. I liked all of those factors you named being put together. I know that there probably isn't any other anime that is comparable with DN, and I don't think I can base my liking of this anime on one factor only.

Well, search on isohunt.com if you must, but nothing beats a good show on DVD played on a large screen.

For Gundam, I recommend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket and Gundam 0083: Stardust memory. These are older than Wing and 08th MS Team, but are very excellent Gundam shows. Turn A Gundam is also excellent, although slightly different in feel and direction than a normal Gundam show (a beautiful anime in its own right, rather than just another Gundam anime).

As for Gurren Lagann, I highly recommend you check it out and see what you think of it. It's a mix of realistic robot anime and the more ridiculous giant-robo anime genre. The show is no where near as tech-savvy as other robot anime, and it has almost ridiculous robot action, but the story and characters are masterfully presented and developed.

It's a big change of pace from what you normally see in mecha anime, but it's extremely popular and well-liked by fans of all kinds. I really recommend checking it out if you have the time, you may find it worth your time even if it doesn't fit the exact type of mecha you're looking for.

Thank's, I would by the DVD's but Holidays leave me a bit strapped for cash.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Does anyone know "realistic" anime movies or series similiar to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade or Grave of the Fireflies? Also well written, hand drawn anime movies are welcome as long as they are not this new generation, people with elephant size eyes and kid heroes movies like Naruto and the rest.
    Last edited by Ragabash; December 24, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I may hate anime, but I'm still willing to give some a chance.

So my longtime good friend, (I'm the one who introduced him to the site btw, his real name is Mehrab ;p) Mehrab, I have a few stipulations.

Something that has not been what I call "Otaku'd." If a headband or entire clothing line exists for this anime, and it's popular, it's out the question. The fanbase for this **** seriously makes me cringe while watching it, to the point of not being able to enjoy it.

No dubs, only subs.

Something that isn't 18 ****ing years long man. I prefer movies, or a series thats short and to the point, like Basilisk. I liked Basilisk.

Mature and possibly even dark, as opposed to childish and cutesy ****.

I'll admit I love the new, really epic looking animation, the kind of pretty animation you see in Samurai 7, Trinity Blood, that kinda stuff, so while not limited to that, I love it.

Now these aren't stipulations, these are just stuff I like.

Historical, or historicaly inspired. I know I'm a samurai nut, but I've had enough samurai for awhile, ninja are still accepted (If you say Naruto, Mehrab consider this friendship over ;p) so I obviously mean something that isnt insanely immature and idiotic, like "ninjas" screaming thier heads off and running around in orange jumpsuits.

Actually I'd love to see history from other time periods/countries, especially ancient China or Korea. But not that terrible cheap looking ROTK anime form the early 90's. No sir.

Asides from historical, a "scary" anime, as in something actually creepy would be awesome. I've always wanted to be creeped out by a cartoon.

And of course military type based/warfare ones would be awesome too.
    Team Member <3

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword of Cao Cao View Post

Something that has not been what I call "Otaku'd." If a headband or entire clothing line exists for this anime, and it's popular, it's out the question. The fanbase for this **** seriously makes me cringe while watching it, to the point of not being able to enjoy it.
    That is a problem, but rest assured this only really exists for Naruto and the like.

No dubs, only subs.
    Even better!

Something that isn't 18 ****ing years long man. I prefer movies, or a series thats short and to the point, like Basilisk. I liked Basilisk.
    Again, even better. Most shows do not go beyond 26 episodes, and only the popular 'milk for all its worth' shows ever go beyond 40 episodes.

Mature and possibly even dark, as opposed to childish and cutesy ****.

I'll admit I love the new, really epic looking animation, the kind of pretty animation you see in Samurai 7, Trinity Blood, that kinda stuff, so while not limited to that, I love it.
    Noted.

Now these aren't stipulations, these are just stuff I like.

Historical, or historicaly inspired. I know I'm a samurai nut, but I've had enough samurai for awhile, ninja are still accepted (If you say Naruto, Mehrab consider this friendship over ;p) so I obviously mean something that isnt insanely immature and idiotic, like "ninjas" screaming thier heads off and running around in orange jumpsuits.

Actually I'd love to see history from other time periods/countries, especially ancient China or Korea. But not that terrible cheap looking ROTK anime form the early 90's. No sir.
    As per our ongoing chat:

Baccano! - 1930s America, involves mafia, professional thieves, immortal alchemists, and insane assassins and murderers.

Steamboy - Romantic science steampunk historical fantasy set in 19th century England about a family of famous steam-engineers and their fantastic inventions, and the company looking to exploit it during the World Fair in London. Made by the critically acclaimed Katsuhiro Otomo who made the famous movie Akira.

Victorian Romance Emma - Victorian Era romance between a maid of all works in a governess's home and the eldest son of a parvenu merchant family trying to climb the ranks of society.

Vinland Saga - Currently only a manga, it involves the Viking-Danish invasions of England around the year 1000 AD. Very well done.

Asides from historical, a "scary" anime, as in something actually creepy would be awesome. I've always wanted to be creeped out by a cartoon.
    Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. You will **** in your pants. You will **** bricks.

And of course military type based/warfare ones would be awesome too.

Several of the ones I've already mentioned, such as Pumpkin Scissors, Full Metal Panic!, and the Gundam series, although these are mostly mecha.