Page 1 of 504 12345678910112651101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Default Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Some of you like it, some of you hate it, some have no real clue what it really is.

So let's discuss. Take some time and check out something new, expand your horizons, and all that jazz.

Hi. I'm Sher Khan. I've seen a lot of anime, read a lot of manga, and I believe I can help you guys with questions and concerns about anime and manga. To put it simply, most of it is crap. That's just how everything is nowadays, from Hollywood to Bollywood. You have 10% of awesome mixed in and hidden within 90% of utter crap.

And, with a medium as diverse as Japanese animation, you might be overwhelmed to find just what is 'good' and 'must watch.' And instead of regurgitating the same names over and over, you may just want to find a show that speaks to you. A show that you will enjoy depending on what you want from it.

This is where I come in. I'm your intermediary, your go-to guy. If you have no idea where to begin, let's discuss where to begin. If you're not well caught up with the newer shows out there, and the extent of your knowledge is whatever they aired on Cartoon Network when you were younger, I'm here to help.

And if you just don't care for anime in general, but are open enough to see a show that you might actually like, let's get talking.

This will be a personal, hands-on approach, rather than us listing what we thought were the greatest anime shows ever. Because that never gets anything done, does it?

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Default Re: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!

Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post

This will be a personal, hands-on approach, rather than us listing what we thought were the greatest anime shows ever. Because that never gets anything done, does it?
    Mainly Because it's No argument, NGE Obviously

My Fanboyism aside, Is there Any other Good Mech Based shows that aren't gundam (Which is to milked out) Or RahXephon ? (Because I've already seen RahXephon)

And where do i start with Ghost in the shell ? Since there's like 3 movies and 2 series on it.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Last Exile. Watch the Japanese voice/English subtile version, quite funny to hear Japanese speak English name.

Emma. I am not sure the anime but the manga version is quite good. The background is set at 18th (??) or 19th Century of Great Britain, and according to author it was actually followed the actual environment of Great Britain in that time.

Ok, that is a few I can think about now, there are others that I don't recall the names.

Edit: Recently I try to watch a sequel of NGE manga, and surprising it is quite Ecchi...

By the way, Sher Khan you recommanded nothing on your post...

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

You Mean angelic days ? That was pretty PG......

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus View Post
    You Mean angelic days ? That was pretty PG......
    Ya I guess so, there are three sequels in manga by the way.

Lucky I am adult...

Like I said, this will be hands on. I won't recommend from the get go, I'll listen to what the person needs and answer back accordingly.

My Fanboyism aside, Is there Any other Good Mech Based shows that aren't gundam (Which is to milked out) Or RahXephon ? (Because I've already seen RahXephon)

And where do i start with Ghost in the shell ? Since there's like 3 movies and 2 series on it.
    What do you like about mecha? Are you open to all types, or is there a set 'feel' to the mecha show you're looking for? Kiddy? Realistic? Hot-blooded? Political? Introspective? Mindless action?

There are mecha shows of all types, as varied as anime itself really. There are some Gundam shows that are absolutely brilliant, by the way. Unless you've seen them all, I'm sure you'll like one or two depending on the type of show you want to watch.

As for Ghost in the Shell, where to begin depends on what you like about the series. There are the original Masamune Shirow inspired movies. Here, the emphasis is on the singular storyline and the 'how' and 'wow' of the setting. The newer series based Ghost in the Shell has a more modern art style more suitable for a serialized television show. The focus is now more on Section 9, the heroes, themselves, and on the philosophy of their future world.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

No Full Metal Alchemist, case solves.

NOOOOO!!!!!!

ok then waht??

naruto...........*doozes off.................*

although that Advent Children was kinda cool

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

Berserk anime and manga. The anime's only 25 episodes. It's a classic though so you've probably watched it already.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Tell me, Roy, what kind of anime have you seen so far?

Yukikaze (i ask a lot of people no obody ever heard of it)
    COOLEST DOG FIGHTS YOU can ever imagine shame it only last less than a dozen episodes
    Naruto i got bored when it ran 250 episode ifigured this wont stop till Naruto becomes Hokage
    Fullmetal Alchemist ok im not your die har fan as every one sees I just like these guys to adopt that name (Roy)
    Final Fantasy ever wonder why they call it FINAL, coz the developers back then were so desperate for there last game Final Fantasy I they are ready to go back selling ...............matches
    some dozen or so not worth mentioning wait........Black Cat (BAHH), Ghost in a shell (shame i didnt start it), Gunsword,

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Roy Mustang View Post
    naruto...........*doozes off.................*
    That one is out too. I am currently interesting about Blood+ and planing to watch it.

Sorry not I against Full Metal Alchemist, but I really dislike Mustang's eyes.

Edit: Black Cat is quite interesting in manga, and surprisingly it is not an Ecchi series.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; December 24, 2007 at 01:31 AM.

So Roy. Based on what you've seen of these shows, what did you like best about them? Guessing FMA is your favorite, what do you like about them? What does it do well, or what do you look for in these shows?

Is there any other good animes like Samurai X and Samurai Champloo?

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

What did you like about Kenshin and Champloo? The fights and their exposition and tension? The historical setting or allusions? The characterization? The storyline or pacing?

Do you want another samurai anime, or would you like one that's in the same feel as the other two but not necessarily involving katanas?

i liek an anime fused with politics, military, and of course good ol humour

then oh yeah..................Megas XLR i recommend it to EVERYBODY

anyone who loves thoe robot things that is..........plus dont watch subtitles iwatched eng. dubbed, if not forget t i might as well read.

Well, the no subbed only dubbed demand does limit what I can recommend, but there's still a good number for you to try. These recommendations are ranked according to the best matches with your criteria.

For politics, military, and humor, I'm guessing you want something that mimicks the grand conspiracies, WWI-style military organization, and some amount of random humor and fun we see in FullMetal Alchemist.

For this, the perfect match would be Pumpkin Scissors.

Now don't let the name get you down, the premise is actually something alike to FullMetal Alchemist. The politics and storylines are all there, and it does a WWI-German-Army-esque military like FMA with the main characters all functioning within said military, and has light-hearted humor in between the serious moments.

You're also in luck, because the manga has been licensed and translated by Del Ray in America, and there are English DVDs out for the actual anime. I don't have too much personal experience with this show, but I hear the manga is quite good.

From here on the list thins a bit, and we lose some matching percentages.

Next, for you, I would recommend the Full Metal Panic! series. That is:
    Full Metal Panic!
    Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid
    Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu?

This series is also localized in English, and would be the closest match after Pumpkin Scissors to what, I think, you'd want from an anime.

What this show does not have is the WWI-style military organization. Instead, it is set in the near future and concerns an advanced mercenary military group. However, the storyline is solid, and there are plenty of good military themed jokes, gags, and references.

Full Metal Panic! is basically season one. The Second Raid is obviously season 2. Fumoffu? is actually not a season in itself, but a collection of pure comedy episodes - episodes that have little to no story importance or seriousness to them. By far one of the funniest things to watch. The actual series does have humor, however.

Along the same lines as FMP, there is Last Exile. This one does have great political action and drama and excellent military presence (although more airship/flight based). It's military is reminiscent of Napoleonic, WWI, and WWII influences.
    However, the series does lack the light-hearted humor you see in FullMetal Alchemist or Full Metal Panic!. It's much more subdued and serious in its presentation.

Finally, along the same lines as Last Exile, we have the Gundam series. They all specialize in great political storylines, lots of military action and politics, but rather little to no humor. Original Gundam shows revolve around the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon, both heavy on military tradition and honor. Later ones are more lax in their approach, but never skimp out on the politics of the story.

So, which one of these shows piques your interest? I could explain whichever in greater detail if need be. My personal recommendation from this list would definitely be the Full Metal Panic! series.

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

I need help on tracking down the name of the opening song for Cowboy Bebop the movie.

EDIT: Never mind. Found it myself. It was Ask DNA.
    Last edited by kev-o; December 24, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

Silo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What about Death Note?
    Anyone who hasn't seen that yet should watch it.
    It's one of the best animes I've seen so far imho.
    Ok it isn't as good as the manga but still excellent.
    Are there any other similar, less known (because I've seen most well-known animes), animes that you could recommend?
    Last edited by Silo; December 24, 2007 at 08:15 AM.