Thread: A few annoying bugs...

Default A few annoying bugs...

I played RTR Gold edition and then I tried RTR Platinum edition.As far I encountered this:

- the battlefield in Platinum is not green as in Gold (the colors in Gold are more beautiful - Why is that ? Am I missing something here?)
    - the sky is not the same.I tried to get the realistic lanscape mod but without luck and even so I don't have a clue if that is supposed to work with platinum edition.I 've read the threads but it seems that no one knows so far...(The colors of the sky and all reflections of the sea are GONE in Platinum edition - Does anyone know why? )
    - An annoying bug is this: When you enter in battlemap and you have reinforcements (with a member of family/general) EVEN if you uncheck the box, WANTING to control both TROOPS ( yours default and the other one) when I arrive on the field ...OOPS...I can't controll them both! Why is that? In Gold edition I could...Did no one encounter this bug ?? Strange because I lost almost a day reading the threads hopping someone else noticed it...Tzzzz...
    - I 've noticed two more bugs (in Gold edition , I know you won't believe me, I NEVER encountered a BUG, EVER) when I sieged a city with four towers , one of them gave me trouble.Something there stopped me taking advantage of that cohort.They were running like Tom and Jerry but without hope of entering the tower and further,to the walls...I tried to rout them out and in but no luck, they were just hitting agains the tower...
    The second bug I encounterd it in a city siege working my way through to the "city hall plazza"....A principes cohort after finishing some enemies arrived in the plaza (the plaza was empty and the enemies encountered by this cohort were all put to sleep...I noticed the bug because the cohort was halt but the PANEL CARD announced me that the cohort is...fighting! When I looked closer (zoom) somewhere on the road, back...there was a SINGLE soldier from the cohort who seems to...like hitting over and over the enemy corps left there....Maybe some old grudge...llloollll
    I discovered something rather funny than useful...In a battle with reinforcements I waited for the nobil llooll... member of the family with his troops to enter the battlefield (I couldn't controll him , of course,as I've explained above).When he was close enough I challenged the enemy from the opposite flank (I had three PRINCIPES cohorts, the enemy had also three cohorts and three more were closing in...) in passive mode (they were just throwing pilla at the gauls hords).The enemy charged me and I entered the fight.It soon began a matter of life and death....(I was 3 vs 6 cohorts) and , guess what, the "general" I was expecting to join the fight was marching 200 yards of me and didn't give any sign that he would do so....
    I was left after battle with a quarter of each cohort alive...and they said the Platinum edition has a better AI....
    Well I presume, observing the manouvers of the general unit, that he was cautious....Maybe that is the improving they were speaking about.

Bottom line...Platinum sucks compared with the GOLD edition.Wasn't it supposed to be better ???

I would appreciate very much solving the colors (field and sky) problem and that AI uncheck button bug ! Thank you in advance.

One final question: How many "stars" must have a general to attack the enemy at night?

PS - A big thank you for the team behind all those mods and for the guys responsable with logistic and info (the forum I meant)!
    Last edited by Flavius Maccus Opium; December 20, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Default Re: A few annoying bugs...

- the battlefield in Platinum is not green as in Gold (the colors in Gold are more beautiful - Why is that ? Am I missing something here?)
    There wasn`t anything changed in that regard, but maybe it is because of the ingame light or the v1.5 engine.
    - the sky is not the same
    RTRPE (as it says in the Readme) uses the skymod by Horsearcher iirc. It also changes the way the ingame lightining works.
    - An annoying bug is this: When you enter in battlemap and you have reinforcements (with a member of family/general) EVEN if you uncheck the box, WANTING to control both TROOPS ( yours default and the other one) when I arrive on the field ...OOPS...I can't controll them both! Why is that? In Gold edition I could...
    I don`t remember if it was reported before...
    - I 've noticed two more bugs (in Gold edition , I know you won't believe me, I NEVER encountered a BUG, EVER) when I sieged a city with four towers , one of them gave me trouble.Something there stopped me taking advantage of that cohort.They were running like Tom and Jerry but without hope of entering the tower and further,to the walls...I tried to rout them out and in but no luck, they were just hitting agains the tower...
    It is a vanilla RTW bug. Has nothing to do with the mod. We`ve tried to fix it, but it wasn`t a 100% solution.
    The second bug I encounterd it in a city siege working my way through to the "city hall plazza"....A principes cohort after finishing some enemies arrived in the plaza (the plaza was empty and the enemies encountered by this cohort were all put to sleep...I noticed the bug because the cohort was halt but the PANEL CARD announced me that the cohort is...fighting! When I looked closer (zoom) somewhere on the road, back...there was a SINGLE soldier from the cohort who seems to...like hitting over and over the enemy corps left there....Maybe some old grudge...llloollll
    That is there ever since RTW was invented. Again, it is vanilla RTW and not RTR related. Try putting the unit in loose formation and moving them in more then one direction. Usually you should be able to break free. I know this from personal experience with RTW and not RTR.
    I discovered something rather funny than useful...In a battle with reinforcements I waited for the nobil llooll... .and they said the Platinum edition has a better AI....
    The ai has nothing to do with PE, but with the engine it uses. RTW v1.5 as opposed to RTW v1.2 for RTR 6 Gold. The ai itself is harcoded(can`t be moded in case you don`t know the concept).
    Bottom line...Platinum sucks compared with the GOLD edition.Wasn't it supposed to be better ???
    That`s left to each user`s appreaciation. As with every other mod. People are free to play it or leave it. I don`t think anyone else will get upset either way.
    Besides the changes listed in the FAQ, PE is just a port to a newer version of RTW.

Thank you for your solutions and explanations! Well..I don't wanna argue but I played a lot (years, maybe like you did) Roman Total War.I didn't encounter those bugs and they were not present in GOLD edition whatsoever.I understood that the ENGINE generates that sort of problems also ( It didn't cross my mind that ONLY the game's engine would do that,that's all).It's odd because I played it so many time and I didn't encounter those problems if you know what I mean.Also...you said that AI has nothing to do with the game's engine it but in the README file it states THAT the ENEMY AI is more intelligent in manouvers on the battlefiled (and in some respect IS, for instance the ENEMY general is not throwing himself in the battles;he is cercling around where the clash is and it fights from time to time.I watched him very closely occasionaly).Soooo...who is right in the end?
    So about the light effect there is nothing to do...It's a shame,I think I'll stick in the future only with GOLD edition...
    Just a few more questions for you if you please...

- What depends the NUMBER of the general bodyguards of ? I noticed some generals have 40 and some have 11 or 16 or 18 or 22 etc bodyguards? Is it the age or what ?
    - In connection with that , WHEN a member of the family (a general) is commanding on the field a INFANTERY unit? I don't remeber if I saw this situation but I'm asking because I read a general TRAIT where it was stated that "he receives +1 when commanding a infantery unit"!
    - Also I so a trait saying that "he receives +1 when ambushing".I know that only the AI can make ambushes,right? Am I missing something? How can I ambush the AI?...I don't include here ,for obvious reasons, the situation when I have troops and high grass and I stick them there.If THIS is the ambush they are talking in the TRAIT, then it doesn't make sense, does it? (the general doesn't "know" what my tactics are so he could "take" STARS before entering the battle,right? )

Please be kind and tell me WHERE can I post my suggestions for e BETTER Roman Total Realism? I think I have some good ideas.You just don't know yet that I am the one who will bring them out for you guys
    Last edited by Flavius Maccus Opium; December 23, 2007 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Maccus Opium View Post
    Also...you said that AI has nothing to do with the game's engine
    No, I said the other way around. Check my post again. The only things you can change are the formation the ai uses, some unit stats and other things that might influence it. But the ai itself is part of each version`s engine and can`t be changed.

So about the light effect there is nothing to do...It's a shame,I think
    Install another light mod or use the files from RTR Gold...

- In connection with that , WHEN a member of the family (a general) is commanding on the field a INFANTERY unit? I don't remeber if I saw this situation but I'm asking because I read a general TRAIT where it was stated that "he receives +1 when commanding a infantery unit"!
    What`s the question again? That trait I think refers to him comanding infantry in general, not a particular unit.

- Also I so a trait saying that "he receives +1 when ambushing".I know that only the AI can make ambushes,right?
    You can ambush the ai as well. What do you think the "ambush in place" line your strat map characters say is about? Put them in a forest...

Please be kind and tell me WHERE can I post my suggestions for e BETTER Roman Total Realism? I think I have some good ideas.You just don't know yet that I am the one who will bring them out for you guys
    In the main RTR sub-forum, not here. RTRPE is a done mod and it will not be developed further. Read the FAQ.

Thank you for your quick reply...

- Could you be more specific about HOW can I change or add a light mod (in platinum edition) and WHERE is that mod for downloading please?

- What depends the NUMBER of the general bodyguards of ? I noticed some generals have 40 and some have 11 or 16 or 18 or 22 etc bodyguards? Is it the age or what ?

PS - Are u from Ro ? Your name looks like it...I'm from Ro too.