Thread: HELP! Calvary charges willy nilly wherever

Default HELP! Calvary charges willy nilly wherever

Looking to see if this is just me or everyone and whether there is a solution.
    First I'm not playing vanilla but Roma Surrectum or SPQR generally.
    Problem is: Calvary often, very often will not attack the unit I direct them to attack. I will click on them to go attack the enemy archers for example; a charge which has them with a clear line of sight to get to them; yet they will ignore the order and charge into the line of spearmen/phalanx.
    I want them to attack northeast they decide to attack southeast type of thing.
    Usually its at least in the general direction I want them to go but sometimes they will even go in the exact opposite direction I want them to attack.
    Basically my horsies really seem to have a mind of their own. And unfortunately usually that little voice tells them to charge the spears as fast as they can.
    Again I'm not talking about a situation where they are charging the right enemy unit and accidentally clip a different enemy unit on the way which impedes their charge. I'm saying they clearly disobey orders and simply charge the closest enemy in any direction not the direction I want them to.
    Also of note I can get them to go in the right direction if it is a spot on the map not an enemy unit but that is retarded and difficult to mange. Its just when it is attacking units they decide which unit they will attack. It is like they can't tell the enemy units apart all they hear is charge they enemy and they go beserk.
    Why won't they listen to their glorious general? And yes applies even to the general's bodyguard unit.
    Thanks in advance

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP! Calvary charges willy nilly wherever

Moved to Battle Planning.

Primicerius

Well, this is just bad pathfinding. I've only ever had it happen in city battles near the centre plaza (where it happen about every charge), but its really unfixable. Just stop your horses before they charge the spearmen, maybe walk them closer to your real target, and then charge.

this is due to the 'undisciplined' trait, i.e. may not always follow orders.

With any melee attack, made by undisciplined units, which in RTW the cav is 90% just that, they will be ordered to charge and just charge, regardless of what it is they are charging.

Thus, to avoid this, micro manage them. Order them to teh place just in front of the enemy you want them to attack, then at the last second order the charge. 9/10 of the time this solves it.

Just remember who you are dealing with; most of the time in the ancient world the horsemen were barbarians who were as brave as they were impetuous. When ordered to charge-they would just go for whoever was closest in the heat of the moment, and RS at least has done a good job of portraying it like it was.
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.