Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Sabinus/Lepidus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Sabinus/Lepidus

We should pursue the declared war and no more. Until the Calabrians attack us, I will use every power of my office to prevent an attack on a peaceful nation. That is, unless the senate mandates an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    We should pursue the declared war and no more. Until the Calabrians attack us, I will use every power of my office to prevent an attack on a peaceful nation. That is, unless the senate mandates an attack.
    WE shall see the outcome of this, but pacifism won't take us anywhere in a world where WAR is the way of all peoples, and where diplomacy fails frequently, and where two gigantic wills conflict. Pacifism, petty diplomatic negotiations, THAT won't change anything! We can only have safety to our children and supremacy in the Peninsula if we force all our potential foes to join us, either by diplomacy, or by the sword, and the sword shall prevail. That's how we've reached our current position, Consul, and that's how we'll reach our future greatness.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

The noble Censor speaks:

<<Consul,by threatening your veto you discourage the senate from mandating a war action in the future;Also,I am disappointed by the action as a whole;Roman courage seems to fail in your situation,I am afraid...>>
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would only veto a war that was unjust, as is my right and obligation as consul. However, should the senate see fit to pursue such a war, only the Tribune of the People could stand in its way.

ooc My god voltaire, you are relentless!

ooc My god voltaire, you are relentless!
    ooc: It is for the greater good of Rome, afterall .
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

the Censor speaks;

<<Honorable Consul,I am at odds when you imply that the Tribunes could or more specifically should,veto the proposal; Is war against the interest of the Plebeians? I thought that war is the single way a Plebeian can rise through the ranks of society,make riches,acquire farmlands,female slaves to serve his every wit() and finally join this august body.I also know that many of the honorable nobiles here,today,made it in the senate by war - as you did noble Consul;Or am I wrong?>>

I do not wholly disagree with the idea that war is the way of the world, but let us then have a strong basis for any attack. Should we attack without cause we may find ourselves in a war with no allies. Also let us have a strong base to operate efficiently from; roads, ports, and walls are essential to this end.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Consul, Senators. Thank you for your patience.
    I have with me the findings you require however I have not even made mention of my motions yet.

Quaestor - I have the financial report which I am sure you require for further proof of our abundance of capital at this point.

Second I have the current strength of our military. In Etruria, umbria, Latium and Asculania we have current governers plus the following troops.

In Campania, Samnium and Lucania we have the same legionaires except no governors. From this you can tally the numbers we have at our disposal.

Currently Enlisted

840 Equites
    3388 Hastati
    2822 Principes
    2268 Triarii
    1680 Velites

One legion would roughly estimate to 2500 excluding auxilliaries. Based on the figure above we barely make four full legions.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCharles View Post
    I do not wholly disagree with the idea that war is the way of the world, but let us then have a strong basis for any attack. Should we attack without cause we may find ourselves in a war with no allies. Also let us have a strong base to operate efficiently from; roads, ports, and walls are essential to this end.
    Senator, everything that might be considered crucial for our future war efforts will be a part of our economic plans. And we will build a solid base, don't worry.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

(@Gaius Graccus)

I mean that I would not have any authority to stop a war once the senate votes for it, and only the Tribune of the Plebs could.

It is true that war is the only way for plebians to join this body, and that is a completely unfair notion. An injustice, in my opinion, to block plebians from entering this senate only after risking their lives, while most Patricians are simply elected in.

It would be a good thing to gain more Plebeian comrades here in the senate, and also more wealthy Plebeians, but it should be done through social reform, not war and conquest.

@ the consuls report

This army is not nearly enough to unite Italy, and therefore should not be squandered. We should strike at Pyrrhus, our original, our standing enemy. Fortunately, our economic situation is growing. Perhaps we can institute agricultural reforms while fighting.
    Last edited by Winter; December 21, 2007 at 03:01 PM.

Is 0 turn recruitment enabled, Consul?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I thought it was to be one turn recruitment, to avoid the inevitable army spam the AI does with 0 turn? If you need an example, I suggest you see executor's AAR in the RTR AAR forum.
    Last edited by Winter; December 21, 2007 at 03:05 PM.

Censor Claudius replies to Praetor Drusus;

<<That is exactly what we say,noble Praetor;Clarity of vision before rashness of action... Declaring war on all fronts will lead us exactly where you said,alone against the world.But we cannot oversee that Italy must be Roman;Not for the Riches - Not for the Glory - Not for War's shake as Lepidus says - For Security in our back yard! If we let to our opposition the opportunity to claim these lands for themselves,we fail to secure the Republic against a threat; That we should not or cannot allow to happen!>>

ooc:You have the units at huge haven't you?Hope that it won't lag as hell for some when in 2vs2 or more armies in the future...Also is it on VH\VH right?Army recruitment time?0 or 1 turn?
    Last edited by Kritias; December 21, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

ooc: there was no context in which we discussed this however I recall the request for 0 turn to adopt one of our constitution clauses.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Winter's Avatar Civitate

So you shall play on our fears to get us to follow you? I will not see this happen. Not one of these states nor any in coalition has an army that can match the legions. They are scattered and disorganized. There is no foreseeable circumstance in which they could possible present a serious, life threatening hurdle to us.

There's nothing in the constitution about 0 or 1 turn recruitment. Therefore I propose that we use one turn recruitment.

If we use 0 turn recruitment, armies will be spammed all over the map and rammed down our throats. No one will want to be consul. 1 turn is better suited to our purposes.
    Last edited by Winter; December 21, 2007 at 03:11 PM.

I completely disagree with you there co-consul. From the outlying provinces reports come in that the italians have armies camped on our borders. Not intruding I might add but definately camping.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would like to see these reports, as soon as possible. Until then they are as good as hearsay.
    Last edited by Winter; December 21, 2007 at 03:19 PM.

So you shall play on our fears to get us to follow you? I will not see this happen. Not one of these states nor any in coalition has an army that can match the legions. They are scattered and disorganized. There is no foreseeable circumstance in which they could possible present a serious, life threatening hurdle to us.
    For how long, noble Senator, I ask? How long...? What if Pyrrhus takes his toll on our legions and our strenght is greatly reduced? How will we protect ourselves from THEIR immediate threat? A Romanized Southern Italy would erase any concerns on the South for now.

The reply was for me winter?If yes read down,if not scrap the whole thing!

Censor Claudius raises in anger;

<<Consul,while I respect your august position I do not respect the lies slipping from your tongue; Have I played with your fears,Consul?I only state a simple fact: what ever we do we must first of all consider our security in the Peninsula;The only way to succeed is to persuade them to join,by will or force no matter,and fast unless you want an enemy so close to home...>>

Winter's Avatar Civitate

When you say we must consider security you imply we will be attacked. The only way we will be attacked is if we start annexing independent states with no cause. They will rise against us like we rose against our Etruscan overlords or like we rose to oust the kings.