Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Descr_Strat tutorial

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Descr_Strat tutorial

Thanks for your help and suggestion on this HoM. If anyone is able test this before midnight tonight I would be very grateful for the feedback.

I have a feeling that the never_a_leader thing is part of it, which you have just shown that it was true. Because why would they need the never_a_leader leader line if not to separate it from someone who was once a leader? But it could be old coding that was never implemented.

PS: Out of curiosity, how do you read the .exe?
    Last edited by Ramashan; November 03, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Ok, here is as much as I've been able to figure out:

- You can create dead wives and children (either under-age boys or daughters of any age), but the results look rather strange. For example, I gave a character a dead 20-year old daughter, then the family scroll said "Born: 300 BC, Died peacefully: 0 AD". Campaign starts at 280 BC.
    - past_leader doesn't seem to do anything
    - dead adult males = CTD

I think dead males cause a null pointer exception when the game tries to plug values into data/ui/%s/portraits/portraits/dead/%03d.tga and/or data/ui/%s/portraits/cards/dead/%03d.tga to build the path to the dead character portrait.

It'd be interesting to unpack the portraits from ui_0.pak and copy one of them to data/ui/romans/portraits/portraits/dead/null.tga or (null).tga and data/ui/romans/portraits/cards/dead/null.tga files to see if that might work.

You can use the strings command, which you can download from microsoft's site, to pull out all the hard-coded text messages, formattting strings, and likewise from the .exe:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War>strings RomeTW-BI.exe > strings.txt
    Edit Gigantus: link to "strings" download
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 10, 2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added link
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Thank you for your continued information on this.

I'll check out that strings command you speak of and try some testing of my own with the portraits you mention.

I did notice the odd obituary that the game plugs in. It has the wife dying at the age of 12, well before her two sons were even born.

RTW Settlement (Coordinate) Locator Tool:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2429
    Last edited by HouseOfHam; June 26, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
    RTR website/SVN admin

So, I've been making a family tree recently and I thought I knew what I was doing, but I'm kind of stuck.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this?

Code:
    character_record        Tezcatlan,     female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 68, dead 5, never_a_leader
    character_record        Miyahuaxiuhtzin,     female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 48, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record        Eloxochitl,     female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 35, alive, never_a_leader
    Character_record        Matlalcihuatzin,    female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 21, alive, never_a_leader 
    character_record        Tezozomoc,    male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 13, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record        Nopalxochitl,    female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record        Teuctl_Ehauc,    male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 2, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record        Nezahualcoyotl,    male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 2, alive, never_a_leader

relative     Acamapichtli Culhua,        Tezcatlan,        Huitzilhuitl,        Itzcoatl,    end
    relative     Huitzilhuitl Culhua,        Miyahuaxiuhtzin,    Chimalpopoca,    Matlalcihuatzin,  Tlacaelel,    Moctezuma,    end
    relative     Itzcoatl Culhua,        Eloxochitl,        Tezozomoc,    end
    relative    Chimalpopoca Culhua,        Nopalxochitl,    Teuctl_Ehauc,    end
    relative    Ixtlilxochitl Ome_Tochtli,    Matlalcihuatzin,    Nezahualcoyotl Ome_Tochtli,    end
    I have listed as a named_character coded into a position on the map as well and it will load if I make him a general. But as soon as I add Matlalcihuatzin in any way, even as a child, it crashes.

and is it me, or can you not have a daughter and marry her to an unrelated character? I just keep getting an errorless CTD when I try it.

It's possible to do what you say, there's probably a formatting error, that section can be very sensitive to tabs and spaces... Maybe even the capital "c" of characters_record is throwing it off...

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quinn Inuit had some problems with some problems with names that weren't in the text/names.txt file, so you might want to check if the names you're using are in there.

If it was a names problem, it would CTD even when he was a simple captain (not a family member), I believe.

Hmm, put it in the wrong post, was meant to go here; Thank you Aradan, that capital C was the problem. Thanks for pointing it out, its always the little things.

Oh, and for an update to the OP.

Regarding creating inter-family marriages.

If you want to marry a daughter from a family with a last name into another family name, you must put the daughters family birth family name in the relatives line, like so;

relative Julius Caesar, Camilla, Octavius, Ceasarian, Ophilia, end
    relative Marcus Antony, Ophilia Caesar, end

Or the game will KTM at start up.

I have recently discovered 2 new commands usable in the settlement definition inside the descr_strat. I'm not sure if they were know, but I have not found any reference to them being used in DS, and I think they can be really useful for people creating custom cities:

1) The creator of each building in the city. This allows to create buildings of different cultures from the beginning. For example a roman stone wall in a barbarian town:
    Code:
    	building
    	{
    		type barracks muster_field
    		creator gauls
    	}
    2) The location of the city model in the battle map:
    (not sure, but they seems coordinates from center of the tile: x, y, height, rotation, unknown)
    Code:
    battle_pos -480.000 1214.038 224.000	rotation_90	0

The source comes from the code automatically generated by the battle editor:
    Code:
    settlement
    {
    	level huge_city
    	tile 149 80

year_founded 1
    	fortification 4 carthaginian, walls 0 towers 0 gates 2 gate_defences 0
    	population 24000
    	battle_pos -480.000 1214.038 224.000	rotation_90	0
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator carthage
    	building
    	{
    		type barracks muster_field
    		creator gauls
    	}
    }
    I have tested both commands with AlexanderTW and they work as expected.

NOTE: the line "fortification 4 carthaginian, walls 0 towers 0 gates 2 gate_defences 0" can be used without errors nor CTDs, but I'm afraid it has no effect at all.
    It is a shame because it could be used to remove the oil or ballista defences...

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Great additions, Bardo.

The boiling oil can still be turned off universally (as you should know as Wlesmana discovered how to do it) and for tower ballistas you could place hidden resource conditionals on the "tower_level 2" capability so as to at least limit it to certain regions I guess.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Great job Bardo !

Testing out the "creator" code, I found that if the building is not assigned to that faction in EDB, it is ignored but causes no apparent problems.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

i have question for faction relationship, can this be triggered via time period?

i want to make a scenario for Trojan War, where all greek's nation become allies and attack only Troy. and if i refuse the alliance, all the greek's nation will also attack me.
    the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

The 'options bi' etc,what does it do,and are there anymore 'options'?

There is some nice information about the descr_strat file in here, but looking at all the ways it can be edited to mod the game makes me curious. Can you edit the file to change which towns and provinces each faction starts with? I tried to change a couple of towns to belong to another faction a while back, but it didn't seem to work. It just prevented the game from starting a new campaign and instead jumped back a screen from the faction select screen.

You can. But you'll have to change the positions of the armies and characters (if any) in that region, if i remember correctly. Atleast, you can't have a brutii army in a julii city and so on.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Incidentally, there's a small problem with the garrisons being coded in the way HoH discovered. They work perfectly for all non-rebel factions, and also work for the rebels, but with the drawback of the rebel faction (the bit that goes in brackets) doesn't show up. A small thing, but if you want it, you have to code it in the normal way.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Well, yeah, since you can't specify sub-faction...
    RTR website/SVN admin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast