Thread: 'The Tale of Henry and Edward' CTW AAR

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Default 'The Tale of Henry and Edward' CTW AAR

“Its dusty, very dusty”
    Edward Pole looked about the courtyard – alongside him Henry Fitzneale, a senior member of the Hospitilers.
    “Much removed from Newbury I suspect?”
    Edward looked up sharply to meet Henry's eyes; he grimaced as he scraped his finger along an oak table.
    “Much”
    Edward Pole was son to a rich baron, he had been educated in Newbury, when the First Crusade was called by Pope Urban his elderly father willingly joined the English contingent, he had died however on the crusaders arrival at Cyprus.
    Fitzneale leaned towards a court aid, a man native to Jerusalem.
    “Where is King Richard de Beauchamp?”
    The aid spoke back in his heavily accented Latin.
    “He will be with you in a minute, you must understand Tripoli has disheartened our Liege – tell me were your knights of St. John at the battle?”
    Henry Fitzneale filled with pride
    “They were”
    “I trust you did not suffer to much?”
    Henry rebutted,
    “You can never suffer too much in the willing service of our Lord God”
    The aid smiled and turned to Edward Pole, who was still eying suspiciously his surroundings.
    “May I ask you the same question?” he smiled towards Edward.
    “No. I was in Cyprus – my father was taken ill.”
    All were quiet.
    “Let us not be sad.”
    Richard de Beauchamp, King of Jerusalem, entered the courtyard.
    “Which one of you, wish to court my daughter?”
    Henry and Edward looked each other up and down, and then looked Richard in the eye.
    “I do.” They both said, in stereo.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Well, who is more deserving? I can not hand over my beloved Edith on a whim – go on, tell me if your tales of valor!” Richard de Beauchamp looked eagerly at them both.
    Edward began to start;
    “In 1193, I was present at the battle of Risby.”
    Henry looked shocked and turned to meet Edwards smug gaze.
    Richard looked most pleased and eagerly pushed for more of the story with an over enthusiastic hand movement.
    “It was April…”
    “…the Danish had landed and marched inland to a village called Risby, when the Duke of York – Robert of Normandy – learned of this he immediately levied his troops, my father sent me with his levied troops to join the army. The Danish invaders had rallied support in the region, their numbers swelled and now all of Northumberland threatened to revolt in support of the Vikings!”
    “Such an Infamous battle” said Richard, the King of Jerusalem.
    “And where might you of been Henry?”
    Henry looked to his feet.
    “I sir was in education in Paris.”
    Richard looked disapprovingly at Henry, then returned to Edwards eyes.
    “Continue.”
    “We marched out to the village and set up camp out of vision of the village, so not to be caught unaware.

Viking scouts, raiding the surrounding farms emerged from thick forest on the camps flanks, our longbows drove them off but it wasn't long before the main force came upon us.

The center engaged - and I tell you me they engaged. It was bloody and sadistic. Although we were out numbered the Danish troops were mainly composed of woodsmen and peasants, ours of Saxon Frydmen, Huscarles and men at arms giving us the advantage in the quality of our men.
    After an hour of bitter fighting, with neither side making any ground, Robert of Normandy sounded the cavalry charge - me and my knights charged into the thick of the fighting, all along the line we charged and cut down the poorly armored troops, I felled close to twenty that day.

The length of the battle however took its toll. I was wounded, hacked at."
    Edward Pole removed the glove on his right hand, showing all what he had suffered -a large dent on the top of his hand showed where the Axe had struck, the stumps of what were his ring and fore-finger the result of the strike.
    "My knights suffered heavily, it was not just the men at arms, many knights were pulled from their horses and set upon with Viking war axes.
    The grass was saturated with blood, but alas, we were victorious - and we had saved the crown."
    Richard de Beauchamp was impressed, he smiled and spoke quietly, focusing in on Edward.
    "That victory was indeed a hard fought one - I did not expect to hear you had been involved in that fight, I was in Rouen at the time. Even I had my doubts that Northumberland would remain Norman!" he clasped his hands together and settled his eyes on Henry.
    "And you? What can you tell me noble knight of St. John?"

Henry replied “Thank you my Liege” he stopped,
    Henry Fitzneale had no story to tell, this was disastrous, and it was beginning to show.
    Edward scoffed, but just before he could get a words end in, Henry begun.
    “You could not tell a peasant how bitterly cold the desert is at night and have him believe your words, for once the padding and armour were a bonus on the sandy desert coast of Beirut.”
    Richards’s eyes lit up
    “The Assault on Beirut?” he said smile wide like a Cheshire cat.
    “Yes, the Assault on Beirut”
    “My brother, Phillip de Beauchamp, he fought along side you then! Ha! And to think I thought you anxious of blood! Ha! Do continue…”
    Henry gave Edward a smile that said ‘One nil’, upon hearing the latter part of Richards sentence Edward gave an equal smile that said ‘One One’.
    “The village had recently been captured by a small band of 2000 Muslims, of course my order could not allow this, we pleasantly requested the town be handed over for the safer passage of pilgrims…of course our request was denied – be it down to the unsavory reputation we Christian crusaders have of pillaging or be it down to war games – the leader of the Order, Sir Stanley Cromwell, mustered close to 1600 men – crusader mercenaries made up a large section of our forces, 300 dismounted knights along with 100 mounted knights also joined – and of course the 175 Knights of St. John.”
    “This battle was were you gained your prestige was it not?” said a much more calmer Richard de Beauchamp
    “Yes it was my Lord. Sir Cromwell marched us out of camp at sunset; we arrived at Beirut at midnight or their abouts.
    The Saracen army was grossly disproportionate to the size of the village, they gathered in the center, and the battle, like most, began in earnest with a short skirmish between the archers.

Of course, Sir Cromwell committed the crusaders and dismounted Norman Knights first, wanting to save his cavalry for a final decisive blow.

Although outnumbered we thought nothing of it, and clawed our way into the heart of the village, our Christian Saracen archers fired into the thick of the enemy, their volleys deadly and precise.

The infantry battle was bloody and extremely demoralizing, I tended to some of the wounded as they were took out of the mêlée.

Many of them had been wounded in the neck and stomach, where the armour was weakest - I am not proud to say the combination of the cries from grown men, blood, organs and sand made me ill.
    Before I could question the battle Sir Cromwell ordered us to our horses, for a decisive charge. I grabbed my lance; I felt for my sword, I looked to my enemy.
    Sir Cromwell raised his sword, and as he fell it, he shouted, for all to hear
    ‘To Christendom and good service willing, we will fight in our Lords name, God wills it!’

And with that a ferocious roar cried out among our ranks, I found myself shouting at the top of my lungs words I had never intended nor thought to say.
    The charge was glorious; we crashed into the back of them, when our lances splintered we drew our swords and with righteous fury we struck them down.

We had turned the tide of the battle, our infantry, close to defeat and wavering had been invigorated by the charge.
    They fought to the last the Saracens, brave and skillful as they are in the skills of war, they underestimated our spirit.

I had the prestige of dueling with the Saracen Captain, Ibu-Ahlm, and taking his head – Im sorry King de Beauchamp, unlike Edward I have no battle scars to show, nor do I have the head of Ibu-Ahlm with me.”
    Richard chuckled, and glanced at Edward to check his reception to the joke – Edward was less then happy.
    King Richard of Jerusalem looked up to the clear blue sky.
    “It’s a beautiful country, spoiled only by the wars that have torn this Kingdom of Heaven apart…you would do well to look for peace with my daughter at your side. I have made no decision yet, Edith will remain by herself for the time being – it is getting dark, please my mind is not yet made, and you are both chivalrous men. Ha! Such trivial matters, I do hope it shows no reflection on my life.”
    Henry laughed, Edward seeing Richard had intended for this reaction began laughing with him.
    Edward rose from his seat.
    “Thank you for accepting us into your court noble Liege, I will take my leave from your presence as you request.”
    Henry heartily jumped up
    “As will I King Richard.”
    They bowed and left the courtyard, leaving an aging King Richard to ponder his decision, and the fall of Tripoli.

Richard sat in his study, before him a map of the Levant. A knock at the door
    “You may enter.”
    It was Edith, Richard de Beauchamp had always been shocked at the sheer beauty of her, it was not generic beauty, it was unique beauty. Her attractiveness was a curse apparently; the priest said she had been burdened with her face – as a test of will and faith.
    “I do wonder Edith were you get your beauty from”
    His daughter laughed
    “Clearly not from my father, tell me what are you doing?”
    “I am deciding Edith, whether or not Jerusalem is worth it.”
    Edith nodded her head slowly, she understood why, she understood and knew more then the men and women of the court.
    “Are the lives of the people who life here worth it?”
    Richard smiled slowly.
    “Yes they are, the Muslims, the Jews and those damn Christians-”
    Edith laughed.
    “All worth it?” she said
    “All worth it” he replied.
    She turned sombre and serious all of a sudden
    “Was Tripoli worth it Father?”
    The King of Jerusalem looked defeated, he spoke softly
    “No, Tripoli was not worth it.”
    “What did happen at Tripoli?”
    Richard debated it in his head, whether to tell her, he chose to spare her the details of the battle.

“All you need know is this, the city was lost and a great deal of heroic fighting was done.”
    Edith looked to her feet
    “And of my suitor, Lord Tostig, what of him?”

Richard hugged his daughter
    “He died in the service of his people, not God, but for his people.”
    Edith did not cry a great deal, her tears rolled down her pale face, but she did not weep, such was the integrity she had.
    “Am I to die a spinster?”
    Richard smiled at what his daughter just said.
    “Let me tell you about Henry Fitzneale and Edward Pole”
    Edith rolled her eyes, her cheeks still wet with tears she smiled
    “Oh please do noble King of Jerusalem!”
    they laughed together as father and daughter. For a brief moment in time, they were back in Yorkshire - away from the threats and war of the Levant.
    Last edited by sanada; December 18, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Default Re: 'The Tale of Henry and Edward' CTW AAR

nice

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Updated, and thank you

Fun to read an AAR like this! Keep it up.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

sanada's Avatar Decanus

"Where is Edward Pole? Haste, quickly!" Richard de Beauchamp barked orders in his chain mail armour, he was outside the walls of Jerusalem all around him pavilions and tents, and a mass of men - or as many as he could muster in a week.
    "Is this it? Where is Lord Rodriguez?"
    "Sire, most of the standing crusaders are in Acre or Cyprus, after Tripoli you must understand we are short on the ground."
    Richard turned, furious he grabbed his aid by the scruff of the neck and lifted him a foot of the sandy ground.
    "Thank you, now answer my question. Where Is Edward!"
    "He is in Beaufort, he is trying to rally members of the Templars for you my liege." the aid was perfectly calm, if he was scared he never showed it.
    Richard loosened his grip, his grimace turned into an embarrassed smile.
    "Forgive me, I am not often caught unaware by my enemies - I am sorry, if you would be so kind could you get Henry Fitzneale - and where is Lord Rodriguez?"
    Out of the corner of his eye, Richard saw Henry approaching, his helmet tucked in beneath his arm.
    "Lord Rodriguez is not coming noble King."
    "And how do you know?"
    "One of my knights has told me of the fall of Acre."
    Richard de Beauchamp grabbed his helmet off a table and throw it to the ground in anger, although near 70 he was still an intimidating man.
    "How did Acre fall?"
    he screamed into the face of Henry, Henry slightly worried bowed his head
    "Lord Rodriguez-"
    "Look at me when you speak child!"
    Henry stopped, and stuttered slightly.
    "Lord Rodriguez deserted Sire, he left Acre unattended and its gates open, he has fled back to Bari."
    "That Norman mongrel bastard! That coward! How many knights did you bring?"
    Henry looked up, he was starting to regain his courage.
    "We have 400 sire, all mounted of course. I wish there were more of us, we have however brought with us some 60 Templars, my scout found them near Hattin."
    Richard de Beauchamp smiled and patted Henry on the back.
    "Very good, my apologies for my temper, I am starting to think I am to old for this. Tell me Henry how old are you?"
    "I am 24 my Liege."
    "Your to old as well." Richard had the cheek of a child, and the charm of an older man.

---------------------------------

Edward Pole, with his personal knights, arrived at Beaufort, after a day of hard riding.
    He arrived at the gates of the castle - atop the battlements stood a crusader, his spear had no metal type and was little more then a pole-arm.
    "Who goes their?"
    "Edward Pole, your Lord."
    He stood outside the gates of the Fort, waiting for the iron gates to open.
    And when they did he was shocked. Inside where over 5000 men.
    "God all mighty - their must be half the army of Tripoli in here." said one of Edwards personal body guard.
    They stood to attention, although they had routed from a bloody battle, all seemed in relatively good shape.
    "Where is your Lord?"
    A German man, covered in a long hauberk, pointed him to the keep.
    "Tostig, Tostig is in there."
    Edward got off his horse immediately, and ran to the keep. If Tostig is still alive how would he marry Edith?
    He ran along the dusty stone hall to Tostigs bedside, a group of surgeons and doctors surrounded him, shouting things about black bile and the four humors.
    "Leave this mans bedside, I wish to speak with Tostig alone."
    They stopped chattering and collected their tools, they left.
    Tostig was pale and white, beneath his arm was a large wound, infected and bloody. Edward Pole felt the wounded mans fore head, as he did Tostig suddenly flickered to life.
    "Edward? Edward? Have you come from Jerusalem?"
    Edward grabbed the mans hand, it was filthy but he did not care - as much as he was jealous of Tostig he admired him.
    "Yes I have, I heard you had died, always disappointing me Tostig!"
    Edwards smile was met with a dead look of seriousness.
    "Did you see Edith?" Tostigs voice was weak and frail, not at all as he remembered it.
    "Yes I did, she is waiting for you." Edward felt tears welling up in his eyes.
    "My Princess, I love her so, when I recover I will marry her Edward, and we will have a family and we will make this country prosperous again."
    Edward nodded, so upset he was he could only manage to nod and say
    "Yes."
    "Do you think I will recover Edward?"
    Edward cried freely now.
    "You will, and I will not leave your side for war or for love until you do."
    Tostig looked up and him and smiled, his lips dry and flaky.
    "Good Edward, good."

-------------------------------------------

The longbow men fired, in the distance the dust cloud started to rise as the Saracen army started to run towards the Christian line.

As the vibrations of a 1000 feet got louder, Richard de Beauchamp began to speak.
    "You have all been here before, all of you." his speech was interrupted briefly by the command to fire from the archers.
    "You have all stared in the face of fear and adversity. You have all grasped the spear and sword. Why not two weeks ago half of you were fighting these foul infadels! And I ask you, do they not die like us? I tell you, they do! I know they do! I have defeated these people, I have took their land and claimed it as ours, I have took their children and conquered their wifes, and I am an old man! Now think what you can do, with your sword and your shield and with me at your command, nothing is impossible, nothing! God wills it!"
    No one could stir up a crowd like Richard could, he turned to his aid.
    "Good speech?"
    "Very good speech sire."
    "You do know It was utter tripe."
    "I do sire."
    Richard looked ahead to the gathering mass of bodies.
    "Lovely."
    The Crusader army marched forward to meet the Saracen army, although outnumbered the shock of charge is often a decisive part of battle.

The Templars were the first to hit the enemy, Henry and Richard looked on as the infantry charged in and the Templars fought on.

Henry Fitzneale wiped his forehead, he gripped his spear, he felt his sword and he looked to his enemy, and he knew everything would be okay.

Richard de Beauchamp gave the order to ready for a charge, he fought of Edith, Rodriguez the coward and Edward, who would never get the hand of Edith now.

The battle was savage, infantry started to fight with rocks and helmets after their main weapons had been blunted beyond use.
    Henry had been dismounted and had taken up the battle on foot, his original sword was stuck in the chest of a Saracen and he was now using an Arabic sword, curved bladed, he was not used to slashing instead of parrying - but still he fought on.

Richard de Beauchamp was riding, taking his time hacking with his sword through the ranks of Muslim infantry.
    For hours the battle raged on, and the loses on each side took their toll.
    "King Richard! King Richard! We cannot continue the fight with this many losses!"
    Richard turned to Henry, his face splattered with blood and his chest bleeding badly, he had fought his way to the center from the right flank.
    "You should be on the right flank Fitzneale!"
    Henry screamed at the top of his voice.
    "Their is no right flank Richard, we are un-done!"
    Henry moved to his left and hacked at the knees of a Muslim soldier, he fell to the floor, and with military discipline Henry beheaded him.
    "We will be engulfed!" he shouted again.
    "So be it!" Richard replied.
    Before Henry could rebut the Muslim horn sounded, the troops started to disengage.
    "Crusaders we are victorious"
    his aid leaned towards, looking at the carnage before him.
    "But at what cost?"

The remaining troops said nothing, some cheered, some preyed, nearly all slumped to the floor in exhaustion, lying amongst the bleeding corpses of Muslim and Christian soldiers alike.
    Henry dropped the Arabic sword and walked back to the right flank, looking for his old sword.
    Richards aid looked towards him.
    "What now my Liege?"
    "Gather up the wounded and the dead, we will march back to Jerusalem - if I know the Turks there will be many more armies coming for us."
    "And the Saracen dead?"
    Richard de Beauchamp stopped, the last battle he had fought he had left the Saracen dead, and killed the wounded.
    "Send a message to the Sejuk Turks, they may collect their dead and wounded."
    "Who will stay behind and care for the Turkish wounded?"
    Richard looked into the distance, Henry had found his sword and was extracting it from a corpse.
    "Arhar! Got you, you bastard!"
    Richard laughed at the young man.
    "Not the knights of St. John, they have done more then enough."
    The aid nodded and smiled, and turned to organize the men.

------------------------

thank you for the encouragement