Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OLDER PATCH: FATW - The New Shadow v2.5 Patch Released!

ljuboja's Avatar Civis

Default Re: FATW - The New Shadow v2.5 Patch Released!

very nice, i've been weaned off rtw and its mods by my wii, but now back on the pc thx to u guys
    Bad luck Jerry, third time lucky, eh?

Kanzler_Andreas's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: LATEST PATCH: FATW - The New Shadow v2.5 Patch Released!

Hello all,
    I apologize if this is the wrong section to place a problem, but I don't see any help areas or anything to here goes.

I downloaded the Sampler Mod and loved the units in this mod (as well as several other mods) so as a fan of the books (not so much the movies) I downloaded this mod and the patch. Whenever I try running it, the following appears:

If anyone here could help me figure out a fix for this problem that would be awesome! This mod looks great, and I would hate to see so much hard work and time spent to all be wasted by a (hopefully) simple error that I probably made during installation.

Thank you in advance!
    -Kanzler Andreas

You have simply forgotten to patch your BI to 1.6 before installing the mod. No big deal. Just delete the "ci" folder that lies in your "bi" folder, apply the official BI 1.6 patch and then reinstall.

Palantir/MasterOfNone will be delighted to know that MMS spurred you to try FATW out.

I actually thought of that last night. I installed the patch, though I didn't delete any files, like 'ci' as you mentioned. I will try that and post here the results. Thank you!

And if you happen to talk to any of the MMS people give them a pat on the back for me. It's a simple yet very effective piece of work.

Update: Okay, the game loads and has the custom menu and all that jazz, but when I went to custom battle, the unit cards were mostly nonexistent. In their place was a fancy cursive like writing that said something like "The Forth Age" though a few units, like 3 elven cards, did appear. Also, the faction shields were normal BI ones- Rohan was the Huns, and so forth. Is that normal?

When I try to start a campaign or custom battle, the game just shuts down, sends me to the desktop. No error message, nothing at all. Am I just an idiot? Does this mod hate me? What am I doing wrong???? Does this mod not work while other mods are installed? I have EB, MMS, and Chivalry TW all installed (and all work fine).
    Last edited by Kanzler_Andreas; March 10, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” - Voltaire
    "Faust complains of having two souls in his breast. I have a whole squabbling crowd. It goes on as in a republic."- Otto von Bismarck
    “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” - Douglas Adams
    “Please note that we have added a consequence for failure: any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck.” - GLaDOS, in Portal

Did you do all these in that order?

1) Install RTW
    2) Install BI
    3) Apply BI 1.6 patch (will also automatically update your RTW to 1.5)
    4) Install TNS 2.0b
    5) Install TNS patch 2.5
    6) Install TNS Musicpack (Optional, but very highly recommended)

The concept of MMS and the early stages of development were done by MasterOfNone who was FATW's Coding Manager (he has actually done a bit of everything, except modelling and skinning), so I'm sure he'll pat himself on the back as soon as he reads this and also let Makanyane know (she did most of the actual coding after the first stages). The rest of the MMS people that did minor stuff are me (unit balance) and Arakorn (installer bits), who are also part of the FATW Team. So, thanks for the patting!

The only thing on your list I have not done is the music pack. I think I remember seeing it on the TW wiki page for FATW, so I'll go download that. Maybe that is the solution I seek?

If not, I will uninstall EVERYTHING and redo this. I really would like to play a good LOTR game based on the books and not the movies! Thank you for all of your help, Aradan!
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” - Voltaire
    "Faust complains of having two souls in his breast. I have a whole squabbling crowd. It goes on as in a republic."- Otto von Bismarck
    “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” - Douglas Adams
    “Please note that we have added a consequence for failure: any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck.” - GLaDOS, in Portal

You're welcome and let us know how it goes and if you have any other issues. if you do, there is the possibility that your OS is incompatible with our installer software. For users that have this problem, there is also a .rar version of the mod.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

It is indeed good to see that MMS is leading new blood to play top mods

Thx for the kind words.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

I'm just hoping that FATW will work for me. This and a Warhammer mod would be totally awesome (a Warhammer mod with a campaign map, that is).

Assuming the MMS is good grounds to base this judgment on, keep up the good work! The units from FATW in MMS were totally awesome, which (as I said) is why I want to play the full thing. Very well detailed!

Edit- Okay, I have no idea how to make this work. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it, and now I get the error that I posted above. I don't know what I screwed up on, but I screwed up. Unless anyone else has a trick up their sleeve, I've got nothing left and I am close to calling it quits. Thanks for your time and efforts.
    Last edited by Kanzler_Andreas; March 10, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Tell us exactly what you did in your own words - and in detail.

As long as you make sure the installer is pointed to the right folder (the one with the RTW and BI exes in it) there really is nothing that can go wrong unless the download gets corrupted or you have some incompatability problems. In these cases a redownload and use of the RAR version will fix it.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Well okay. I'll do my best but keep in mind I am not a big "techie" kind of person so I may use my own... *ahem* creative descriptions for want of a technical term.

Okay, so I downloaded TNS from filefront -EDIT- I just checked your website so maybe I got it from there, I don't recall- I believe (I've downloaded abotu a dozen Dawn of War mods from them and they all work so I figure RTW mods should too). I have done the following steps about half a dozen times.

Rome Total War- insert the discs (I have the Gold Edition with RTW/BI on 4 discs) as the installer says, same for BI. Download the patch and install. Pretty basic stuff.

The mod- double click the "fatw_tns_2_0_basic_full_b" thing that starts the install. Keep clicking next or whatever the tab is, agree to terms, you know the drill. I choose the area for it to go in as C drive, program files, The Creative Assembly, Rome Total War and next. It does its thing, bam the install is done.

Rinse and repeat for the patch and music pack (each having been downloaded already). Once that is all done (tell me if you want the specifics of that, too!) I double click "The New Shadow" shortcut on my desktop to run the program. Before my previous post edit, it took me to the modded main menu with the normal Rome music/sound effects. I click the provincial campaign or whatever it was and 6 faction shields from BI are there, but with TNS names (Rohan is the Huns for example). If I click any of them and start campaign the game just shuts down, no error message, nichts ("nothing" in German). I uninstalled RTW/BI and redid ^^^ again and now I get the error message that I posted above.

I know nothing about this "RAR" of which you speak. But I'll give it a shot. Assuming I need some program for it, where would I find it? My apologies for this long rant.

EDIT (Again)- Okay, I feel incredibly stupid. Please do not shoot me as I believe I may figured out at least one of my errors (assuming there may be more). I just found your instructions in your forums and they include that DOS window. I never figured out what it was, so after leaving it open for a few minutes (it seemed to stop doing anything) I would close it. I will try this again and NOT close it.
    Last edited by Kanzler_Andreas; March 11, 2008 at 04:35 PM.

It's good that we finally know what's the problem. If after the proper installation ends you still can't launch the game, then please use the .rar version of the mod. It exists exactly in order to help people who have system's that are incompatible with our installer and a specific command included in the .bat file (the DOS window you see). The .rar version includes some manual copying and pasting (that is done by the .bat file in the auto-installer version), so if you follow the instructions, nothing can go wrong.

Let us know!

Okay! The DOS is running! I will NOT close it (unless, of course, a terrible, stupid catastrophe should occur, such as the Earth being destroyed to make room for a new hyperspatial express route... *pauses and waits for someone to shout the Ultimate Answer*) until it closes itself, which technically I would not close it. So I suppose what I am saying is that I will not close it.

Sorry, just ignore my unimportant ramblings. Results coming... hopefully positive... okay, the DOS is closed. Good sign (I hope)!

*A few minutes later* To the lords and ladies that created this mod, please do not take this following comment in any negative ways, but I feel inclined to say to you all: I LOVE YOU!!! YOUR MOD IS TRULY BEAUTIFUL!!!

That is all. Thank you for your help and thank you for putting up with my complaining and Took-like foolishness.

It works? Awesome! Welcome to The New Shadow - Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12