Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit 1.0) Version 6.0

Default Re: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit) by Candelarius

Fair points, I think I'll just be happy with what has been provided. Thanks for your good work.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi Candelarius, just a suggestion: maybe consider making the General's Bodyguard units recruitable? I liked this feature of LTC and SS when I played those mods. But I think the best thing that could come of this is help to the AI... in my experience, a crippling flaw in the AI was that it would usually attack you with stacks led by captains and not generals. These stacks could almost always be defeated with a vastly inferior army led by a good general.
    So I was thinking that if we made them recruitable at high cost and input a very high value for recruit_priority_offset, the AI could perhaps become more formidable?

I actually strongly considered making generals recruitable, you're not the first person to suggest that. I ultimately decided against adding them in, mostly in keeping with my mod's "theme" of just being an "unofficial patch" for the Grand Campaign. I was peeved that CA released an expansion pack that didn't "expand" the base game, so, I decided to make the expansion that I was expecting to get with Kingdoms. There are all sorts of great features that I could add from all the best mods. I could easily spend the next year doing weekly updates with all sorts of changes. But, at some point, I feel, one needs to really identify what your mod's objectives are, accomplish those objectives, and then just play the game. For that reason, I haven't continued to add, add, and then add some more stuff like many modders do. If I do that, my mod will end up being a bloated hodgepodge of features and become more prone to random crashes. Anybody is welcome to key in new features on their own, but, for now, I consider this mod to be "done". Great suggestion though, I appreciate the input.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

Well that's why I play this mod; because I think the core game is fine and I just want the Kingdoms features. I do see what you're saying in that once you start adding in little fixes, they can pile up and we have a different game. But since vanilla AI provides no challenge to me, I will always look for ways to improve it. Xeryx's XAI has taken a huge step in doing so; it's so close to beating me, it's scary. I think if it learns to use generals it could steamroll me.

So after Xeryx puts out a public version of XAI, I would like your permission to post an add-on to your mod, which includes the AI and recruitable generals, that should provide a significant challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Annes Revenge View Post
    Well that's why I play this mod; because I think the core game is fine and I just want the Kingdoms features. I do see what you're saying in that once you start adding in little fixes, they can pile up and we have a different game. But since vanilla AI provides no challenge to me, I will always look for ways to improve it. Xeryx's XAI has taken a huge step in doing so; it's so close to beating me, it's scary. I think if it learns to use generals it could steamroll me.

So after Xeryx puts out a public version of XAI, I would like your permission to post an add-on to your mod, which includes the AI and recruitable generals, that should provide a significant challenge.

You can post whatever mods of my mod you wish, as long as you credit my mod and myself. Afterall, my mod is just a mod for Unspoken Knight's mod.

Hi Candelarius
    I like your mod its gooood but i have noticed that there are some units created in vanilla but never added to the rooster...i dont know why...i havent found them in your mod neither...what i have found in export_descr_unit.txt in your mod and what is unused:
    Wagon fort - crossbowmen for Hungary and Poland
    Dismounted Lithuanian Cavalry - archers for Poland
    Mounted Longbowmen - mounted longbowmen for England
    Dismounted French Archers - archers for France

I have added them to the rooster of those factions...that was all because icons, models and descriptions were already made in vanilla so I have only modified export_descr_buildings.txt in your mod and now we have another 4 more units
    If i will find anything else i will let you know...
    btw this is the link for changed file
    http://files.filefront.com/export+de.../fileinfo.html

If you want you can use it in your mod
    cheers
    Last edited by smiechu; February 26, 2008 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks Smiechu!

My EDU file is now "full" (499 units), so, I cannot add anymore units, but, I really appreciate your suggestions. I did consider adding the English Mounted Longbowmen (although the unit is a historical absurdity, but, who cares!) but I decided not to as it would take away from one of France's unique units.

Again, thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius View Post
    My EDU file is now "full" (499 units), so, I cannot add anymore units, but, I really appreciate your suggestions.
    :hmmm:...tell me because i think i dont get it...what does EDU file do?
    because i am playing on your 5.2 version of your mod plus those 4 units that i have found and everything is working properly please explain it for me
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by smiechu View Post
    :hmmm:...tell me because i think i dont get it...what does EDU file do?
    because i am playing on your 5.2 version of your mod plus those 4 units that i have found and everything is working properly please explain it for me
    thx
    The EDU is the export_descr_units.txt file. There is a hardcode limit (so I've read here in the forum) of 500 units in that file. If you count the number of times the word "dictionary" appears in that file (to determine the number of units in that file) you'll find out how many you have. If you have more than 500, the game will not load.

But, nevermind, I just figured out how you did this...you didn't add new units to EDU you just changed the faction ownership so that England can recruit Mounted Longbowmen, etc you just added them to the building file (like you said originally). So, it wasn't necessary for you to increase the EDU count at all. That's really funny, I never knew these units were in the EDU and not in the EDB, thanks for the cool info.

Also, if anybody else is using smiechu's EDB file, please be aware that he has also increased the recruitment pool of all non-gunpower seige weapons. That's fine, but, I intentionally downgraded their pools due to the addition of the mangonels.
    Last edited by Candelarius; February 25, 2008 at 07:33 PM.

Also, if anybody else is using smiechu's EDB file, please be aware that he has also increased the recruitment pool of all non-gunpower seige weapons. That's fine, but, I intentionally downgraded their pools due to the addition of the mangonels.
    :hmmm:I havent changed the recruitment pool of all non-gunpowder siege weapons...As I wrote originally I have used Your mod version 5.2 and I have just added those 4 units to the recruitment pool. That was all I have changed So if You have downgraded those siege weapons recruitment pool plz send me EDB so I can put a good one on FileFront

cheers

Ahhhh. Yes, I probably changed that in version 5.3 or 5.4. I recommend updating to the latest version, and then use the latest version to base your modified files on.

Ahhhh. Yes, I probably changed that in version 5.3 or 5.4. I recommend updating to the latest version, and then use the latest version to base your modified files on.
    heh thx i will do that

EDIT: I have already added those 4 units to Your EDB from Your latest 5.4 version
    you can find this file here-> http://files.filefront.com/export+de.../fileinfo.html

btw
    There is a hardcode limit (so I've read here in the forum) of 500 units in that file. If you count the number of times the word "dictionary" appears in that file (to determine the number of units in that file) you'll find out how many you have. If you have more than 500, the game will not load.
    have You read this? -> http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...s+limit+in+EDU
    read what SquidSK wrote
    Last edited by smiechu; February 26, 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks smiechu. That's actually referring to Rome Total War, but, still, their is a limit of 500 units in the EDU. He is just saying that multiple factions can use the same unit, so you actually can have many hundreds of units....but, that isn't really the point, you can still only have 500 entries in the EDU.

Regardless, though, I don't plan on adding any more new units anyway to my own mod, I'm quite content with the mod as it is for now. You can mod this game all day till your fingers are numb, and still think of something new and fun to add...but, I prefer to actually finish a mod and then play it rather than modding it forever.

I know that its reffering to RTW but its all the same (almost) in M2TW the same rules ok i suppose you are right with the limit but i will try to put more then 500 units and i will see what happened unless you have done that already so just tell me so i wont have to loose time trying to do that

Btw i have made a compilation...i have used your mod with Regnum Dei - All factions and now you can play as Mongols, Timurids, Papal States or Aztecs with all those units from your mod i have just changed couple of things...Elephants and Elephants Artillery comes with gunpowder, i have added imams to recruitment pool for timurids and mongols and changed the turns : 1 turn = 1 year i have just left your mercenary file cause Regnum Dei changes it but it would be pointless to loose all those mercenary units
    Can i use your mod as official part of this compilation? cause i would like to create a "smiechu's compilation" i am going to ask Regnum Dei team for their permission as well

cheers
    Last edited by smiechu; February 27, 2008 at 09:50 AM.

Yes, you are more than welcome to make a mod based on my mod. Just please put me someplace in your credits and/or readme. Also please start a new topic about your mod, so my topic can just be about my mod. ;-)

Have fun!

Thank You very much

Hey smiechu, I downloaded your file and replaced the original retrofit mod export_exec etc. with it but just how does it work? Does it just mean you can build those units in campaign mode? Cause they aren't in custom battle mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelip View Post
    Hey smiechu, I downloaded your file and replaced the original retrofit mod export_exec etc. with it but just how does it work? Does it just mean you can build those units in campaign mode? Cause they aren't in custom battle mode.
    yes you can build them in campaign mode i havent done anything with custom battle just because i dont use it

Candelarius - maybe you know how to change loading screen? cause under M2TW sign there is a RETROFIT MOD sign...do you know maybe how to change this sign?
    Last edited by smiechu; February 28, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Does this mod work for the 1.3 version of kingdoms ?

Quote Originally Posted by saitosama View Post
    Does this mod work for the 1.3 version of kingdoms ?
    Yes, of course, as the readme states, this mod requires Kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by smiechu View Post
    yes you can build them in campaign mode i havent done anything with custom battle just because i dont use it

Candelarius - maybe you know how to change loading screen? cause under M2TW sign there is a RETROFIT MOD sign...do you know maybe how to change this sign?
    I left the Retrofit Mod splash.tga screen intentionally. If you don't like it, delete it from C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\retrofit\data\menu. The game will automatically revert back to the vanilla loading screen.