Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit 1.0) Version 6.0

Default Re: Grand Unit Addon Mod (for Retrofit) by Candelarius

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    The new units adds some badly needed balance for the muslim factions versus vanilla. The muslim armies were deficient in decent ground troops. The new units really help flesh out the game. Overall a much more enjoyable experience.

Well done!
    I agree. And thanks!

Along the same lines as the horseless Templar Knights for HRE, I noticed riderless horses for the Rebel Generals (though the general himself is present). Some pissed off thoroughbreds. However, if the new patch takes care of this, note I hadnt started a new campaign to see if that is needed for the changes to go into effect.

I don't know why Rebel Generals would lose their bodyguards....which unit? Can you show me a screenshot?

Are you sure you haven't modified the mod yourself at all?

EDIT: I researched this as much as I can think to do, and, I haven't a clue why you would see riderless rebel General's Bodyguards. The only unit in the game that that could be would be the NE_Bodyguard unit, and, I didn't change anything to do with it...I checked all the appropriate files. Are you sure it was a rebel general? A rebel for which faction?

Here is a pic of my rebel general, it appears to be working for me. Are you sure the unit you saw was a General unit and not some other horse unit?

Last edited by Candelarius; December 23, 2007 at 02:31 PM.

I guess it is possible, since I did change the mod to fit the large map, but I don't know why that would have happened, I didn't think I altered any of the units. I have no idea what to say, I guess if someone else reports it then take it seriously, in the meantime I guess its just me, hehe.

I think I saw it in Prague and Scandinavia too, though I cant recall if I saw it in Acre as well....if I stumble across more I will let you know, in the meantime I guess I flubbed some file somehow.

I'm guessing you must have fubbed something, because if the Rebel Bodyguard is missing in one area, it will be missing in all areas of the map....Did you change the EDU or modelsdb files? Sounds like it...for a unit to be missing from it's horse, the game is finding the unit in the EDU file, but, it's not find the model in the modelsdb file. If you've mixed two mods together, this can happen. If you see this again, take note of the exact unit, or, better yet, screenshot it, and let me see it.

I don't think it is my mod, I'd be surprised if it was, like you said, I didn't change any general units either...

EDIT: On a side note, here is a way to research a bug like this - In order for a faction to have a unit, the unit must have "ownership" assigned to it in EDU. The Rebels are another "faction" in the game files. In the EDU, all the units the Rebels have access to have "slave" in the ownership line of the unit. So, one need only verify that the General's Bodyguard unit in the EDU has Rebel ownership. Once you see that is correct, you then look and see what model is assigned to the unit. There is a "soldier" line that tells you this, and, for mounted units, a "mount" line as well. So, I verified that each mounted bodyguard unit has a model assigned. Then, I opened the modelsdb file, and did a search for that model name (ne_bodyguard, etc). As long as that model has a "slave" entry, you know there is an assigned texture to the model (if there were not, the game wouldn't even start, every ownership entry in the EDU must have a texture entry in modelsdb). Anyway, I thought this may be interesting to you since you're modifying your game.
    Last edited by Candelarius; December 23, 2007 at 07:54 PM.

I just checked the EDU and that seems to be it, no "slave" faction in any of the bodyguard units or timeperiods. I put slave on all the ones I found. Will the changes take effect without a campaign restart?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Stadler View Post
    I just checked the EDU and that seems to be it, no "slave" faction in any of the bodyguard units or timeperiods. I put slave on all the ones I found. Will the changes take effect without a campaign restart?
    Yes, it will take immediate effect.

Note that the only bodyguard that gets the slave faction ownership is the NE_bodyguard. All other bodyguards cannot be rebel generals. This is true in vanilla M2TW, too. If you give the ownership tag to other generals, you may create another problem.

For the record this problem is not in my mod. I can only imagine you have modified your EDU somehow...

--------------------------------------------------------

On another note.....

I just had this wicked awesome event in my French campaign tonight. I completed a mission ordered by my Council of Nobles, and check out what they gave me for my reward....in Paris! Sweet! This will definately help me out when I decide to take out Scotland next.

That is the problem. I can't find the launcher, the only thing I can find is the itt. file and obviously I can't get it to work with that file, right? So help would be appericiated.
    The law is reason free from passion - Aristotle.

The end does NOT justify the means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janissary View Post
    That is the problem. I can't find the launcher, the only thing I can find is the itt. file and obviously I can't get it to work with that file, right? So help would be appericiated.
    Well, as I said earlier, that itt file is not the launcher, it is only a file my installer uses...just ignore it.

The launcher for this mod is the Retrofit Mod's launcher. You must have the Retrofit Mod installed to install this mod. The Retrofit Mod's launcher is on your desktop, unless you deleted it...reinstall the Retrofit Mod if you deleted the launcher, and then re-install my mod on top of the Retrofit Mod again.

Let me know if you have any questions. Merry Christmas.

Tiro

Well...the pikemen formation fix is just nice...not so much overpowered but if flank it will rout...that is the best...

However, there is one small problem with musketeers. They tend to wheel left and right to shoot, and cannot remain stationary. WHen I place them in front of Tercio pikes, they tend to wheel and ended up being chopped by enemy. Any musket fix?
    Legionaries vs Dismounted Knights Who will win?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
    Well...the pikemen formation fix is just nice...not so much overpowered but if flank it will rout...that is the best...

However, there is one small problem with musketeers. They tend to wheel left and right to shoot, and cannot remain stationary. WHen I place them in front of Tercio pikes, they tend to wheel and ended up being chopped by enemy. Any musket fix?
    The formation fix for pikemen is just a unit spacing issue correction...to correct the CA-coded formation behavior your talking about is an entirely different matter. Note that I didn't change the musketeers, they are behaving the way CA designed them. I've personally never had the problem your talking about (or never noticed), but, maybe try changing them to skirmish mode or, remove them from skirmish mode? Maybe try position them farther behind your line of pikemen?

Let me also say this for the record. Although I appreciate your input, I really am not making a "bug fixer" mod here...this mod is mostly intended to just add Kingdoms units to the Grand Campaign. The few fixes I included are just a couple easy things to fix that annoyed me greatly. I really consider this mod to be "done". One could modify and tweak this game forever and one would still find something that could be changed a little bit more...that style of modding is exhausting to me and I really don't want to get to the point that I'm making a new "version 4.2", "version 4.3", etc, every other weekend.

I guess I'm trying to politely say "feel free to change the muskets yourself"!

Legionario's Avatar Semisalis

Good stuff again from you Candelarius.....I really enjoy Retrofit now!
    E fra chi lo ascoltò,alcuni erano buoni
    molti erano malvagi,
    e molti non erano niente,
    come tutti gli uomini...in qualsiasi luogo....

would anyone suggest an ai mod for this or is diplomacy and battle ai decent?

cheers and plus rep
    True bread is for True Romans

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK101 View Post
    would anyone suggest an ai mod for this or is diplomacy and battle ai decent?

cheers and plus rep

Well, of course the diplomacy and battle AI are decent, this mod is for the Retrofit mod, which features vastly improved AI. There are plenty of AI mods out there, though, for you to try out. I'm personally very happy with the Retrofit Mod's AI.

kk thanks
    ny future plans concerning the unit add on? (new units etc.)
    True bread is for True Romans

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK101 View Post
    kk thanks
    ny future plans concerning the unit add on? (new units etc.)

Nope, as I said in the FAQ, I have no plans to make additional changes, I consider this mod project "done". Besides, there are only a handfull of "free slots" left, and, I feel I added all the meaningful units from Kingdoms already....there's not much left to add.

Just wanted to say this is a fantastic mod Candelarius. I could not agree more with your approach to modding. I tried many Rome mods (including TE and your add-on for that, which was great) and ended up disliking them because they were far too far removed from the vanilla version and were never finished to be 99% bug free. This mod, and retrofit, make MTW2 so much better and people dont have to check the forums every day for months on end for ANOTHER patch or fix.

Anyway, enough of my gushing praise. Kudos to you and Unspoken Knight for a job very well done.

-----------------UPDATE-------------------

I noticed in my current campaign as the French (in which the Mongols are kicking my ass in the Holy Land) that I made one particular unit too high up on the tech tree, which resulted it in not being available until mid-game. This unit is one of my favorites from the Kingdoms Crusades Campaign, that unit being the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre. I finally was able to recruit the unit in 1358, which is silly, considering the unit is in a mail hauberk and has a 13th century helm, and, to add insult to injury, the Mongols have nearly kicked me out of Outremer, which would have resulted in me never getting a chance to recruit the unit.

So, I've released what I'm calling version 2 of my mod and I've also made available a small patch that will bring version 1 up to speed. This new version (which will probably be the last version, in line with my modding philosophy I mentioned in my FAQ) makes the following adjustments, which are things that I've noticed in my current campaign or that have been brought up by others:
    1. Revamps the Holy Land recruitment system. My design theory for the Holy Land recruitment was to have all Crusader States units available to all Christian factions (except Byzantium and Russia) from any city or castle in Jerusalem, Antioch, Acre, and Edessa (see FAQ), but to have cities suffer from a recruitment availability penalty and castles to get a recruitment experience bonus (to balance cities against castles, in line with the vanilla cities and castles system). Version 2 of the mod further emphasizes this concept.
    2. Canons of the Holy Sepulchre still only recruitable in Jerusalem, but, are now available earlier (and are still a "unique unit"). This rewards the player for capturing Jerusalem.
    3. Reorganized the Custom Battle Unit Selection Screen. In version 1 of my mod, the Crusader States units were all mixed in with the faction specific units. This looked confusing to me and made it difficult, when playing custom battles, to pick through the unit list, and it was really bothering me (I play a lot of custom battles). I've moved all Crusader States units (except templars and hospitallers) to the bottom of the unit selection panel. Now, the unit list in custom battles looks neater and more like the vanilla panel display.
    4. Modified the Templar, Hospitaller, and Teutonic Order guilds, slightly reducing the unit recruitment pools to take into consideration the units added by the mod.

So, thanks to everyone for their feedback. I feel version 2 is a slighly more balanced and a bit more neater looking mod. Download links are in the first post of the thread.
    Cheers,
    Yakaspat, aka, Candelarius
    Last edited by Candelarius; December 29, 2007 at 07:42 PM.

Currently downloading Saturday, December 29, 2007 09:45 PM, I’m currently using Retrofit mod 1.0 2.5 update & I’m in my 200 turns, I like this Add On! My question; I don’t like the Gun Powder unit’s I prefer Sword-Fights so I deleted the Gun Powder discovery movie in descrt_events, will there be any error when I play this mod? since I’m still in the early stage on my campaign using Retrofit 1.0 2.5 update I haven’t verified it yet.

Are you using the Retrofit 1.0 2.5 update I like this update cause the AI performance is really Awesome both on Campaign Map & Battle Map

Quote Originally Posted by michael01 View Post
    Currently downloading Saturday, December 29, 2007 09:45 PM, I’m currently using Retrofit mod 1.0 2.5 update & I’m in my 200 turns, I like this Add On! My question; I don’t like the Gun Powder unit’s I prefer Sword-Fights so I deleted the Gun Powder discovery movie in descrt_events, will there be any error when I play this mod? since I’m still in the early stage on my campaign using Retrofit 1.0 2.5 update I haven’t verified it yet.

Are you using the Retrofit 1.0 2.5 update I like this update cause the AI performance is really Awesome both on Campaign Map & Battle Map
    I can't possibly imagine why you'd want to delete gun powder from the game, it was a major technological innovation that had a profound impact on medieval warfare, and also introduces a fun and challenging gameplay development. I'd recommend not deleting the event for that reason alone.

As for will it negatively effect my mod (you deleting the event), I have no idea, but, I think it may, so, I again do not recommend it. Please note that I only support my mod itself, and no modifications to my mod, so, you're on your own with your changes. Good luck.

I'm not sure what you mean by "are you using the Retrofit 1.0 2.5 update", as far as I know, there is only one Retrofit Mod, that is the 1.0 version by Unspoken Knight, and that is the version that my mod requires.

Let me know if that makes sense. Thanks, and enjoy.

PS> If you are downloading now then you have the most updated version. The installer will say Grand_Unit_Addon_Modv2.exe.
    Last edited by Candelarius; December 29, 2007 at 09:16 PM.