Thread: Hard faction to play

Default Hard faction to play

Hi,

I played RIO v6 last night, the game runs good so far, no CTD's. I selected the Imperial Romans(western), I believe, and it the game played very well untill my faction leader died. sorry I don't remember his name, anyways, the successor Servius has somehow managed to crash the whole econemy in 2 seasons. I went from having around 3000 profit to -3000 profit. I was wondering if this is historically accurate or a glitch in the game. I browsed his charcter traits and they are all awefull, one of the traits is that he spends money fruitfully.The other is that he has poor people skills. Nothing out of the ordinary there. My concern is that perhaps he is a little more cash hungry than he should be. Can one man crush an econemy, if so what could he spend a nations cash on at such a high rate that he crashes the econemy. After this happened I emmedietly sent the Emperor into the feild(not in city) and it still does not seems to help. This game is all but over for me as 2 of my cities have revolted and I do not have the manpower to re-establish order, or the cash to build any improvemments.

My first thoughts are that maybe this campaign is vvvvh and not winnable.
    I also wanted to say that I love the Roman Imperial German bodyguard, great touch of realism. There power is exactly what I pictured a generals Guard to be, and the sheild on there backs is very historically accurate for the dark ages and time frame.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Hard faction to play

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_horse_spirit View Post
    Hi,

I played RIO v6 last night, the game runs good so far, no CTD's. I selected the Imperial Romans(western), I believe, and it the game played very well untill my faction leader died. sorry I don't remember his name, anyways, the successor Servius has somehow managed to crash the whole econemy in 2 seasons. I went from having around 3000 profit to -3000 profit.

My first thoughts are that maybe this campaign is vvvvh and not winnable.
    DHS
    Hi Dark_horse_spirit,

There's a few things here that can hurt the economy real fast while playing the Roman factions. The first is the armies cost, especially the Generals. Accepting adopted family members or family members coming of age can put a burden on the empire very quickly. The second would be playing on very hard. I think the harder the play level, the harder it is on the economy. The situation in The Western Empire was dire to say the least in 463AD. To turn around the mess was unfortunately nearly impossible because of the emaciated economy and the control Recimer wielded over the western emperors. Many of them were also not competent or some were just very unlucky. Its set up for very difficult play.

The rulers traits and ancillaries does have a broad range effct on many aspects of the factions empire including the economy.

I also wanted to say that I love the Roman Imperial German bodyguard, great touch of realism. There power is exactly what I pictured a generals Guard to be, and the sheild on there backs is very historically accurate for the dark ages and time frame.
    DHS
    This is from having the privilege to use Ramon Gonzales y Garcia and IBFD teams textures that are dedicated to historical realism.
    Last edited by Riothamus; December 12, 2007 at 11:14 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Imperial Fist's Avatar Libertus

You can rescue your eco, but its a hard pice of work. I had to restart 4 or 5 times yesterday. You have troops in ravenna as far as i remember. Some of the troops in ravenna you will need to defend your cities in in the east against the ostrogoths, but some of them you should send either to corsica and sardinia or sicilly to conquer the islands. This stabilises the eco a little bit and gives some money from exterminating. Also disband troops where they arent needed, mediolanium for eg.. If you are unlucky like i was, you will have trouble with visi and ostrogoths and with the burgundii.
    Good and ,compared to others, cheap troops are auxillia palatina, so try to rely on those guys. Dont know whether this helps, but u can try it out and tell me. Im still trying to survive myself.

Forget what i wrote! Its impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Fist View Post
    Forget what i wrote! Its impossible.
    Its extremely difficult...as it was for the Romans. Remember, the Empire in the West 463AD -476AD was just a Germanic general away from bieng dismantled and dominated by a Germanic people.

Tips:
    Play Med campaign level not hard at first.
    Do not accept Adopted Generals until econ is stable(generals upkeep are very high)
    Careful chosen army composition as Imperial Fist noted
    Choose carefully whom to ally with and attack one faction
    Understand how the mods econ works.

Changes are being made in the next release to create more stability at the start of the game For the Roman factions but this will not mean it will be easier for poor choices will quickly crumble the empire.

Maybe i am kust having bad luck.
    I had 2 promising campaigne starts. One of them was on m/m i think( by the way whats the best battle difficaulty Rio? It differs in every mod. In eb i play on h/m). I was even able to defend the eastern provinces against the goths, but then a plague killed off roma and that was the begining of the end. The money was vital for retraining troops and keep peace.
    Ill keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Fist View Post
    Maybe i am kust having bad luck.
    I had 2 promising campaigne starts. One of them was on m/m i think( by the way whats the best battle difficaulty Rio? It differs in every mod. In eb i play on h/m). I was even able to defend the eastern provinces against the goths, but then a plague killed off roma and that was the begining of the end. The money was vital for retraining troops and keep peace.
    Ill keep trying.

I would keep the battles on at least hard. H/M. Oh yes the plague would definitely hurt.
    Other factions are easier to play so it may require some testing out.

But I realize its more historical and gratifying to create more of the belief that the players choices and not other overwhelming outside factors should dictate failure or success.
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 24, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

I tried a few times and eventually gave up. It was just to frustrating. I would however like to see, hear about some success stories. I think that it will take a stroke of luck to win this campaign.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I tried a few times and eventually gave up. It was just to frustrating. I would however like to see, hear about some success stories. I think that it will take a stroke of luck to win this campaign.

DHS
    Heres Marku Empire
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114785

He played on M/H

He carefully made up an army composition and cut through the Ostrogoths AS A main task. I don't want to give up too many hints for I know the game too well but taking out the Ostrogoths and linking back up or even taking over lands in the Empire East is a smart objective(lands there or wealthy)

Back then the game I admit was easier but He had a good plan. The next version will have more stability for the WRE at the start of a game(but this could be deceiving) thus giving the player successes or failure due more to his decisions.

Thanks for the imput Dark_horse_spirit...its vital for the mods betterment.
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 01, 2008 at 09:08 AM.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

If it could be helpful (even based on RIO VI - and left for a long, too much time... ... ayeaye Rio ...) I managed WRE from 463AD to 469AD focusing only on building markets, roads, ports... whatever useful to improve economy, with the exception of Ravenna and Rome, where I built for troops training and then for economy. Meanwhile slowly enlisting lowest cost units to garrison towns. Only in 469AD I attacked Mariana, captured it and exterminated population, that gave money and avoid unhappy people. On 469AD I had 40.084 coins and all town with minimum 1.000 income. I know that from 463 to 469AD it was not an exciting campaign, but allowed me to get moeny, improve economy and happiness, and to look cobfident to the future to conquest again the Roman Empire. Somewhere there is a WRE AAR...

ayeaye Rio ...

Quote Originally Posted by margio View Post
    If it could be helpful (even based on RIO VI - and left for a long, too much time... ... ayeaye Rio ...) I managed WRE from 463AD to 469AD focusing only on building markets, roads, ports... whatever useful to improve economy, with the exception of Ravenna and Rome, where I built for troops training and then for economy. Meanwhile slowly enlisting lowest cost units to garrison towns. Only in 469AD I attacked Mariana, captured it and exterminated population, that gave money and avoid unhappy people. On 469AD I had 40.084 coins and all town with minimum 1.000 income. I know that from 463 to 469AD it was not an exciting campaign, but allowed me to get moeny, improve economy and happiness, and to look cobfident to the future to conquest again the Roman Empire. Somewhere there is a WRE AAR...

ayeaye Rio ...
    Hey Margio. Try the Flagellum VII with the patch when you get a chance.
    One major improvement is certain elite units in the Kings early halls can be recruited. This helps factions early on to face or use some quality units. Also some new palaces and units

Good to see ya Margio...Don't be a stranger
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 01, 2008 at 12:18 PM.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Hi Rio,
    stranger...? I don't understand ...
    I had a look on units, buildings, EDU & EDB. Awesome work ... as usual!!! ...and as usual I'm undecided about faction to play :hmmm:...
    By the way Ostrogoths looks interesting... a young heir to train about the secret ways of leadership... do you know who is ...?
    See you soon

ayeaye Rio

Quote Originally Posted by margio View Post
    Hi Rio,
    stranger...? I don't understand ...
    I had a look on units, buildings, EDU & EDB. Awesome work ... as usual!!! ...and as usual I'm undecided about faction to play :hmmm:...
    By the way Ostrogoths looks interesting... a young heir to train about the secret ways of leadership... do you know who is ...?
    See you soon

ayeaye Rio
    Don't be a stranger is just an American term for stay in touch.
    Looking forward to any suggestions you might have