Thread: 1 region 2 settlements

Default 1 region 2 settlements

i read this on the thread about the Basileia total war mod, but they plan on integrating towns and castles in the same province. as they picture it - cant test it yet since it isn't out yet - holding the town means holding the province, but to completely control it you also need the castle, otherwise you lose half your revenues.

so basically that allows another faction to incapacitate your economy by taking the castle, or you keeping a foot between the door upon losing the town by retreating your army in the well-defended castle.

this feature - if it truly can be done - sounds like one of the most awesome ones i've ever heard. just imagine, depending on region they could be located closer or further away from the town. like in italy they would be close while in other farther off/bigger region they could be located more strategically near river crossings, mountain passes, etc.

even cooler it would enable you to attack and incapacitate foes without having to actually conquer settlements. just handicap them military and economically by taking the castle.

wonder if its really possible though... :hmmm:
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Hereward's Avatar Civis

Default Re: 1 region 2 settlements

I'll second this. That would be a great new feature. Kind of like the permanent stone forts in kingdoms brittania campaign, only more significant and developed.

It always seemed a little unrealistic that once you take the major city of the region, you're automatically in complete control of an area many thousands of square miles large.

maybe forts like kingdoms, not castles i'm afraid this ill never work ...
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

It sounds like they are using Kingdoms permenant forts and removing castles all together.

EB has ideas for permentant forts, so stay tuned...

Doctor Faustus's Avatar Miles

MarcusAureliusAntonius has it right; we are going to remove the currently existing difference between towns and castles - all settlements will only ever be towns, and these towns are going to have most of the building features of castles in addition to those of towns. Our new "castles", in the sense of the issue raised by gaius valerius above, will basically be permanent forts. For more info, look to our subforum.

Assistant Mod Leader
    Historical Consultant

i think the permanent forts should still have a function to demolish them just incase you put it in the wrong way or you are leaving a area and dont want the enemy to take it and it can stop the map being cluttered.
    Last edited by lord_IRNBRU; February 22, 2008 at 06:30 PM.

Doctor Faustus's Avatar Miles

If I addressed this concern here, I would be hijacking this thread, so I won't. If you are interested in the answer, please pose your question again in the Basileia-subforum:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503

Assistant Mod Leader
    Historical Consultant

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

Weren't some people experimenting with having a 'secoondary' settlement within a region. I remember paticularly a picture of a 'farming village' within a region that already had a city.. Mind you this was for RTW... I wonder if the code is similar???
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Imperator View Post
    Weren't some people experimenting with having a 'secoondary' settlement within a region. I remember paticularly a picture of a 'farming village' within a region that already had a city.. Mind you this was for RTW... I wonder if the code is similar???
    im not sure, but i think someone took the grain resource and replaced it with the village icon. so its just their for looks, but it is available for merchants to stand on.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I recall something years ago where someone took the mines from RTW and made them look like villages, which you could upgrade in appearance and income. The problem is that there were no longer any mines.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow, people have all kinds of ideas... Great. Can't wait to see what EB2 comes up with.

Personally I didn't like the forced Castle/City dichotomy in M2TW.

As is well known, many cities grew out of castle-towns in the Middle Ages, and the castles evolved into fortresses which protected the city. Having to develop one over the other was always artificial.

I am very curious to see how this feature will be used for EBII. Judging by some of the ingenious implementations in EB1, I am confident that EBII will follow suit...in fact, along with role playing family members, this will be a "make or break" for me.

Can't wait!!

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Any additional cities would be fantastic! Especcially all around the mediteranian!!!!!

That would be fantastic!
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Has anyone resolved that the AI doesn't attack forts? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    Personally I didn't like the forced Castle/City dichotomy in M2TW.
    Same here. IMO one of the solutions would be to somehow merge the two. You would be able to build all buildings in both types. And I mean ALL, including city/castle walls.

For city defences the game would always take castle walls to allow multiple wall layers.

The city wall upgrading could be transformed into city size upgrading (meaning the settlement surrounding the castle). The enlargement of the city would give you the opportunity to build more happiness, trade buildings and free militia units.

Such a system would give you the opportunity to build both types of settlements at the same time but still force you into specialization if you want to end up with a great citadel or a huge city.

Well, would this at least be possible to mod? And does anybody find this interesting?

i believe this idea could be possible since i read somewhere that permanent forts could be turned into small cities....i think it was in the SS forum. Can't remember if they worked at all but
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels