Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heirs of Alexander: An XGM AAR

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Default Heirs of Alexander: An XGM AAR

Heirs of Alexander

Part 1: The Gallic Horde

BC 280
    Antigonos, leader of the Macedonians receives Thracian envoys in his court. They tell Antigonos, his Generals and sons of an extremely large barbarian army from the north. They have taken Sardica and are heading south raping and pillaging as they march, through the pass to Macedonian lands, the birthplace of Alexander and Phillip.
    Antigonos quickly sends spies north to Dardania in search of the barbarian horde.

While the spies are away, Antigonos, his ancillaries and Generals decide on a strategy. It wasn’t without long hours and much debate that the strategy was agreed upon. Antigonos would ride North with all available levies within the kingdom, with him he will take his son and General Euenos. This large Macedonian army will meet the barbarians in the pass between Thrace and Macedon to make a stand. Gyras would stay behind and look to the defense of Pella. Their forefathers would be proud…for it was just south of Pella where Leonidas made his stand just two centuries ago.

BC 279
    The spies return with devastating news, there is not one but three Gallic armies being led by Adcobrovatus of Lemonum. The spies report a total of 5200 Gauls, roughly the population of Larissa, Macedonia’s second city. ”A vast sea of men” they said, “more Gauls, than Persians at Thermopylae”…
    With this latest news, Antigonos knew he was marching his men, himself and his son to certain death.

In the spring of 279, Antigonos left Pella. Not in grandeur, not with spectacle but with consternation and a calm sense of foreboding.
    Pella, Amphipolis, Larissa, Thebes and Corinth had virtually emptied their garrisons to lend soldiers for the defense of Macedon.
    The Greek City States of Athens and Sparta took note.

As Antigonos’ army makes its way north, all along the road are the frightened and displaced Macedonian farmers and traders, heading South to Pella. Antigonos force marches his men to the pass to stop, or at least slow down the advancement of the Gallic armies into Macedonian lands.
    Antigonos gets to the southern end of the pass, sets camp and sends his scouts north. The scouts return a day later and inform Antigonos that the Gallic armies are only a one-day-ride away.

On the morning of the next day, Antigonos arrayed his men on the battlefield, on a slight incline where the Gauls would have to run uphill and hopefully tire. The Macedonian army was deployed with pike levies in the middle, skirmishers and archers in the front, hoplites and thureophoroi on the flanks and cavalry stationed in the rear flanks.
    They waited…all day, till it started raining and the Gauls started cresting the far hill.

The Battle of the Dardanian Pass

The first Gallic army charges down the hill, the Macedonians wait.

The Gallic cavalry deploys on the Macedonian right flank preparing to charge. Antigonos deploys his cavalry to match the Gauls.

A standoff between the two nations’ cavalry ensues.

The Gallic cavalry charges and Antigonos responds.

After defeating the Gallic cavalry with heavy losses Antigonos wheels to the left to attack the rear of the Gauls, and defeats them.

The second Gallic army arrives at the Macedonian left flank, they are beginning to route.
    General Euenos responds quickly and attacks the second Gallic army.

The Gallic center breaks through the levy phalanx and makes a stand. Antigonos, trying to rally his men charges into the Gallic spearmen, where he meets Hades.

Euenos, seeing his father fall, calls for a full retreat and the day is lost. Gyras is now the Macedonian leader, his brother Euenos and their beaten and bedraggled men make their way back to Pella, joining the rest of the fleeing populace.
    Adcobrovatus of Lemonum called for his men not to pursue the fleeing Macedonians. He knows where they are going, to Pella.
    (hope you all don't mind a slow-paced AAR, should have ~2 updates a week)
    End of Part 1
    Next: The Defense of Pella

Last edited by Balikedes; January 08, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Default Re: Heirs of Alexander: An XGM AAR

Nice job liked it alot especially the battle.

Amazing start. I like how you describe the Macedonians thinking that Leonidas and Thermopylae were part of their past as well, as they were the uniters of Greece eventually. Very atmospheric! Take your time with part 2, although I am sure we will all be looking forward to it.

I wish battles were so active in my campaign. Somehow my enemies nearly always wait for me to attack them.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Deiphobos - which side are you playing as? If you are attacked (i.e. you are the defender) the AI will always come at you otherwise the AI will automatically lose if time runs out.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

I usually end up being the attacker. So that is the reason the only sit and wait...

Besides, the time limit is switched off. Does that affect the AI?

Quote Originally Posted by Deiphobos View Post
    Besides, the time limit is switched off. Does that affect the AI?
    no, they only care about who is attacking and who is defending. they'll come to you if you're defending and vice versa.

however, there are some cases where the AI will come to you even when you are on the attacking side. for example, if you attack TWO stacks. the AI stack that is farthest away from the battle will rush to the other stack's aid and attack you.

as to the AAR: amazing start, with the faction leader dead, i wonder how much incentive that's going to provide to the former faction heir to kick some barbarian behind?
    Last edited by snuggans; December 10, 2007 at 02:47 PM.

This campaign got me riled up from the very beginning. I couldn't stand the fact that I lost my faction leader and only standing army in the first two turns. There are some definite surprises coming up!

OOPS...also, I forgot to add that I am playing on M/H for those who are interested.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

BAlikedes: eyyy good start!! nice of you to keep it real, as your faction leader died in battle....i've never played a campaign as ther Macedonians...but who knows, you might inspire me to start one...

Part 2: The Defense of Pella

BC 278
    Polyneikes of Thebai sat in his chair staring at the messenger from Pella. Ten minutes ago he was talking with his wife about what they were going to eat for lunch, five minutes ago the messenger arrived…out of breath and with much anxiety.
    After the death of Antigonos and defeat of his army in the Dardanian pass, Euenos rushed back to Pella to assist his brother Gyras, the faction leader in the defense of Pella. After two days preparation the Gallic Horde arrived and laid siege, the Gauls had enough men to attack three of the city’s walls at once and make their battering rams very quickly. No citizen was allowed to leave, except this messenger, sent to Polyneikes personally from Euenos. The messenger recounted the battle: Gyras attempted to keep the main Gallic army at the gate…he was overrun and killed almost immediately. Euenos, now the faction leader called all available men to the city center to make a last stand, despite his valiant effort, he too was cut down. Pella was lost, enslaved by the Gallic barbarians. The Royal family had but one survivor, young Anakreon the last son of Antigonos and now faction heir. The messenger gave the Royal signet ring to Polyneikes, which was given to him by Euenos, which was pried off the dead hand of Gyras.

Macedon had lost her capitol, its citizens enslaved and three of the four Royal family members.

Polyneikes of Thebai was now the Macedonian faction leader.

After the capture of Pella, the Gauls did not intrude further into Macedonian lands. Adcobrovatus of Lemonum thought it unwise to provoke the Greeks more than he already had. He was an informed man and knew that if the Greeks were pushed far enough they would overcome their petty squabbles and unite under a single banner.
    So under these auspices, Polyneikes of Thebai began recreating the financial infrastructure that was destroyed when Pella was sacked. Larissa would be the new capitol and center for Macedonian politics and business. He also made sure to train young Anakreon in the art of war and how to hone his anger to a fine point, to be concentrated on a single goal.

End of Part 2
    Next: The Betrayal

3 times? ... .. well this is very unorthodox....

No kidding ...This is my first attempt at playing the Macs, I was a bit surprised by the intensity that the campaign starts off with. I didn't think I could be beaten and I started off 0-2 .
    But the Macs are fierce, their ancient blood flows rich with vengeance .

Oh yeah, I also suck at taking screenshots...I always end up not taking enough and have to fill in with text...hope no one minds my writing .
    Last edited by Balikedes; January 08, 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Part 3: The Betrayal

BC 272
    The Greek City States of Athens and Sparta, always trying to gain the upper hand on Macedon saw an opportunity now. The Athenians would disrupt Macedonian leadership through assassination and espionage while the Spartans would start training an army to take back the whole of the Peloponnese.

The Athenians were at first successful, they assassinated the Governor of Amphipolis, Ikaros.

This they thought would cause unrest in the city, it did not, Ikaros was a beloved Governor and man of the people. The assassin was caught and under only the most severe torture did he name “Athens…the Athenians…” as his employer. The Athenians moved too quickly though, the Spartans had not created a large enough army to face the Macedonians yet.

Polyneikes, ever a politician used the people’s anger to create new levies and increase taxes to prepare for war with the Greek City States. By the end of 272 Polyneikes had given Anakreon, now seventeen, the new Macedonian army. He was given the office of Strategos and also given carte-blanche to use the army as he sees fit.

The Greek Cities, attempting to surprise the Macedonians laid siege to Corinth.
    Anakreon responded quickly to Damasos, the Governor of Corinth’s request for aid and began marching his men out of Larissa immediately. They would march down to the Gulf of Corinth and take boats across to Arcadia.

The Relief of Corinth

The Greek City’s men were waiting for Anakreon next to a small out-cropping of rocks at the bottom of a hill, half their line up the hill and half down. Anakreon let his men walk into position; he didn’t rush them but let them take their time, he had a plan.

When the Macedonians were directly across from the GCS he ordered his men to double-time the rest of the way up the hill to take a position above the GCS.
    It worked like a charm; the GCS attempted to take the higher position but were outflanked.

Anakreon, seeing the Captain of the GCS left alone while his men charged the hill, ordered his Light Lancers to charge him.
    They were successful despite their heavy losses.

As the day wore on, the GCS troops tried to force their way up the hill, this gave the Macedonians good target practice.

In the end it was quite an easy victory for young Anakreon due to his strategic prowess, his first of many.

The Second Battle of Arcadia

The Greek City State of Athens, angry at the demise of the army they paid for; sent one of their own at the head of the next army facing Anakreon. The young general, Demosthenes of Athenai was brash and arrogant, he thought of the Macedonian general as “a child, to be spanked and beaten so he will run home to his mother and cry in her bosom”.
    Anakreon did not have a mother though…so we join the battle at the top of a hill in Arcadia, where Anakreon attempted to outmaneuver Demosthenes to no avail.
    Their armies meet at the top, on even ground overlooking the Gulf of Corinth.

The GCS hoplites charge the Macedonian levy and attempt to break their formation, the Macedonian hoplites charge their right flank in shield wall.

The GCS levy attempts to break through the Macedonian left flank, but the Thracians are there.

The Macedonian Phalanx regulars come to the aid of the levy phalanx and beat back the GCS hoplites.

Anakreon sees a GCS levy all alone and orders his Thureophoroi and Thracians to surround and attack. Also, Demosthenes seeing his men falter attempts to rally them by charging the Macedonian line.

He meets Hades at the end of a Macedonian sarissa.

The GCS reinforcements arrive too late, Anakreon reforms his line at the top of the hill and lets his archers have their way. The Peloponnesians are made into pin cushions for Macedonian arrows.

Another victory for Anakreon, though his men carried this day.

End of Part 3
    Next: The Annexation of Patras
    Last edited by Balikedes; December 19, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

ahh, finally the macedonians are triumphing, but where is the gallic horde?.

For some reason they just totally backed off. They started attacking Thrace and the Indie Greeks in Illyria. An update soon though...
    Last edited by Balikedes; December 15, 2007 at 10:19 AM.

eyyy Balikedes!!! seems like we are both up late!!

yup...up late watching "That 70's Show", out here in California ...bra.

after what they did to you, i would've definitely hunted them down just for revenge

Nice AAR thus far. I am also currently playing a Macedon campaign. Mine started similar to yours. The Gauls sent a stack of 2300 down to attack me. I also decided to stop them at the pass, but I used the faction heir Gyras instead. I actually managed to win using a variation of Alexander the Great's oblique formation.
    I also like the writing/storyline in the AAR too. Keep it up.

Nothing is impossible, to him who will try.
    -Μέγας Ἀλέξανδρος
    HERO_331

Thank You! I should have an update tomorrow when we will find out how Anakreon will decide how to pick apart the GCS...:hmmm: .

I just blitzkreiged the GCS in my campaign. Long story not for this thread. Looking forward to the next update.

Nothing is impossible, to him who will try.
    -Μέγας Ἀλέξανδρος
    HERO_331

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast