Thread: Roman AAR (again :))

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Default Roman AAR (again :))

Hello everybody
    another roman AAR who would guess...well cause I love this game and original is just as too much easy with BI being just as too much hard as red-dressed man, i have decided to download and try some mods. While RS offers lotsa legion with names, I personally do not like it much for too strong missile units and fast battles.
    Thus I stick with the SPQR mod, ill be playing Roman empire, with difficulty on Hard / Hard (its first time after all).
    additional rules :

no retraining, just filling with men from other units
    using old roman system -Deployment for battle- the "triple line" triplex acies¨
    army will be consisting of heavy inf mainly, with less focus on cavalry forces and missile troops, and will contain auxilia.
    Use of generals as a legion commanders

I will try to make it as more IC as possible with all the writing and I hope you will like it when it comes. so much for now, lets start the game

Default Re: Roman AAR (again :))

Expectations have risen and the crowd is awaiting the sign of the heavens!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Apparently my RTW copies start to hate me, thus im forced to reinstall them all and see then, hopefully it wont delay much. And I realized that loading times for SPQR are awfully long, maybe ill stick with the RS instead
    can someone mix these two mods?

Well that would include putting the watchamacallit in the cazu and from there you have to add the wacagawa. Hope that helped!!

Prologue

Year 279 BC, Italy...
    Once small hilltop city, Rome influence has now secured its dominion over most of the italian peninsula. Having supressed the neighbours and push back initial Gaul invasions, citizens of Rome now seek to expand...Their eyes are set to the south, in order to become a supreme and only ruling body over the Italy.

Chapter I - Securing the southern border

In the spring of 278 BC, decision has been made by the Republic. Southern territories must be absorbed into the growing Roman Empire. Senate gave authority of this mission to young general, Numerius Curius, who has been promoted from the equite class to this rank and has been given command of one republican legion - Legio I, raised in Rome and it´s vicinity. Task was simple. Move towards the south and crush any opposition in order to secure Roman supremacy in the region.
    Legio I left Rome in summer of 278 BC, and after being briefly reinforced by couple auxilia units on the southern Roman border, Numerius gave the order to advance into the enemy territory.

First target - the city of Cannae...

1.1 First Blood
    from the diary of Numerius Curius, General of Legio I

Two days ago we crossed our border and headed south. My legion in march formation, eager and battle-hungry, and me, in a nervous but excited state. I had no idea what can I expect, but soon I have learned who will our enemies be, the southern tribes of Samnati and other rebels in the area.
    Throughout winter we camped several days march from city of Cannae, and as soon as the snow was gone, I ordered the men to move forward and besiege the city. In early spring, our siege engines we´re ready and city had been cut off by us.
    We´ve besieged the city for about a week or so, when we got attacked by what we think was an enemy raiding party from the city. I knew this is the moment of battle. I´ve hastily gave orders to rally the men and prepare for clash that will come...
    Very soon, my soldiers have taken their places in the triple acies, cavalry formed up on wings and we waited for the enemy to come at us. A first blood to be drawn in my conquest of southern Italy...

Back in Rome...
    Messenger arrives, bringing news about the campaign.

Flavius Julius steps up and starts reading :
    We have defeated the samnite forces and brought Roman order to the city of Cannae. I will establish garrison and head towards south once again.
    Roma victor!
    Numerius Curius

Two weeks march from Cannae, Roman military camp
    Numerius walks in his tent and thinks his next strategy...
    Tribunus laticlavius walks into the tent

Ah there you are Optimo! Since its summer, give out orders to camp near the city for winter to secure the order and refill some of our ranks. We will again head out in next year spring...

Next spring, Roman - Epiros border
    Numerius walks near the river marking the border, and thinks for himself...
    Well, this is how war starts.... and then walks over it as first man of the Legio I

More to come - 1.2 Invasion of Epiros - war begins

1.2 Invasion of Epeiros - war begins

276 BC, Southeast Italy
    After spending winter near Cannae, Numerius headed out over the border of the Epeiros kingdom. Knowing that previously king Pyrrhus defeated Roman army on several occasions, his movement was very cautios.
    On the 35th day of march, Legio I reached the sea. Now all that was left to do was turn east and head towards city of Tarentum. But scouts reported enemy activity in the nearby area, and Numerius, aware of potential ambushes, ordered camp construction and sent out patrols in every direction, in attempt to find and determine enemy strength and troop type. However, his scouts were ultimately unsuccesful, and in August 276, army was on the move again. Next target - Tarentum.

1.3 Siege of Tarentum - Fall of Pyrrhus

In the early days of September, Legio I laid siege to Epeiros city of Tarentum. King himself was organizing the defense, but having lost his army in previous conflicts with Roman republic, his units were depleted and couldn´t resist much. Hoping for rescue from his son, Pyrrhus stay within the walls and waited...

On the other side of the siege however, Roman general Numerius Curius was not really eager to lay siege for long time. He was well aware of the fact, that enemy army is somewhere to his back and could strike when he least expected. Thus he decided to move. Rams were constructed as fast as humanly possible, and attack began.

However, Numerius sent only his hastati maniples with only one unit of principes to attack the city walls, and kept rest of his units in half-circle formation around the camp to protect it from enemies. Luckily, nearly all city stationed troops were out with the raiding army, and Legio I made easy entrance and began to move in. It was in this moment when large group of heavy cavalry, commanded by great king Pyrrhus himself, charged incoming infantry in narrow city street, and with their warfare mastery, they nearly wiped out several units. Only fast arrival of equites, whom did Numerius sent to sweep the city streets, prevented a pull back and in the fierce clash that followed, Pyrrhus was killed.

The siege was over, and city accepted Roman rulers as their own...

1.4 Son of Pyrrhus - They are out there...

With king dead and city secured, only one thing remained to solve. Epeiros army somewhere in Roman territory. A bold move occured in the city of Tarentum. Numerius picked his doplnit and went after the enemy. After a month of chasing each other, both armies finally met on the hilly plain on what was used to be a border before.

Two generals closed with their bodyguards...then they dismounted and met in the middle...

Kreon of Epeiros (K) broke the silence...
    K : You should not have started war with us. Nor should you DARE to invade and plunder one of our cities!
    N : This land is Roman. I am now giving your army chance to peacefully return to what might be left of your homeland someplace. IF you will not turn back, you will all be slaughtered!
    K : *in angry voice* How dare you threaten me?!
    N : See for yourself...*Numerius calls his guard with a bag, then pulls out something and throws it before Kreon* This is how I dare to do so.
    K : Oooohhh!! *watches in terror the cut off head of his father* We shall rather die then bow to you Romans!!!
    *with these words, Kreon grabs the head and heads back to his horse and rides to his men*
    N : Order the men to prepare for battle!

Forces of Epeiros fought bravely, but their depleted ranks could not stand the power of the Roman republic. While their units have been pretty much wiped out in last wars with Romans, the capability of Rome to field army after army proved to be the key and they´ve all fell, including Kreon, son of Pyrrhus.

soon to come 1.5 Border is secured ...

1.5 Border is secured

With Epeiros driven from Italy, Numerius knew there is only one last city to take. In autumn 275 BC, his forces left Tarentum definitely and moved south for the very last time. Encountering no resistance, they´ve reached the walls of their final task to come. Also knowing that there is nothing else threatening them, Legio I set up a siege in bit of lazy manner, not paying attention to several horseman who broke through their lines. City remained under siege for year and in November 274 BC, when Numerius was just about to launch his attack, a massive force appeared behind his camp.
    Final battle for the southern areas was about to begin...
    Facing two separate armies, Numerius deployed in rather careful manner, in a long, three line deep lines, with his velites covering left and cavalry right flank. This move proved to be crucial in upcoming battle. As enemy forces advanced on Legio I position, large group of cavalry attempted to flank the Roman line, but their attempts to throw javelins at tight ranks of hastati were bravely repelled by velites.
    Seeing the strategy not working, enemies started a full scale frontal attack, however their line was very dense and two ranks deep. Few meters before they hit the Roman lines, hastati scattered their formation to loose, giving themselves more room in which to defend against enemy phalanxes. What followed was a pure massacre, as principes broke their formation and encircled enemy army, killing everybody without mercy. Cavalry chased down whomever running away, and last sign of oposition on Italian peninsula was crushed under the iron feet of the Roman Republic.

*Numerius walks on the battlefield, over all the corpses of man who died in the fierce clash to save the city*
    See Lucius? Here lies whatever was separating us from task given by Senate. Now with our duty done and peace brought to these lands, we should retire ourselves in one of the cities we´ve conquered. After all, we´ve won them from all those barbarians, so we should hold them as prize as well.
    Gather our dead and wounded and order march to the city. Time has come to end this bloody struggle...
    *then Numerius turns his face towards the sun, covers his eyes with one hand and gave a long look to his new homeland...*

South has been secured, but while Numerius has been campaigning here, unrest broke in the north...

to come

Chapter II - Northern menace