Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look at these cool videos i found!!!!

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: Look at these cool videos i found!!!!

I kinda flipped through the first one without watching it.
    Does it actually use a screenshot from this mod???

Hmmm What does this have to do with Broken Crescent ?? Isn't it kinda political propaganda video (not the nice pictures but all the rest) ?

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

realy no offence levon but watching these movies are getting bored after a while,so i restrict myself watching the armenian faction thread.
    i saw a few (coincidentaly armenian?) units from M2TW:are they from BC or from an other mod?
    with respect

ROFL check out the comments!

Reminds me of my WoW guild, we had Greeks and Turks fighting in the guild Warlock channel, it used to be hilarious!
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

yes lol armenians and turks dont get on, but im open minded i dont mind any turks as long as they are nice thats about it lol

In the first video you see units from BC lol.

Shadibadoo's Avatar Tiro

It's funny how we call them "Greeks" when in fact it was the Turks who first named them that! they called them "Greks" that's what I heard anyway.
    The same goes for the Hindus. Hindu is just a term for Indian that the Muslims made when they arrived in India.
    ~Shadibadoooo

No, the Romans definitely called them Greeks...

I'm pretty sure the Latin word for greek person = graecus.

Not to mention "Magna Graecia", aka Greek southern Italy, or Augustus calling the Greeks of Asia Minor "Graeculi" (Little Greeks...derogatory)

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

I wonder when the term "Greek" first showed up. As a Greek, i am really interested in getting a definitive answer. We call ourselves "'Ελληνες"(Hellenes), for those who don't know, so i am interested in finding out both when the term appeared and what does it actually mean.

Another bit of info, irrelevant to the term "Greek" is how Greeks call the French. We call them "Galloi"(phonetically "ggallee") which comes directly from the word Gaul. Everyones else seems to call them names similar to "French". How do you call them in your language people?

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgos View Post
    I wonder when the term "Greek" first showed up. As a Greek, i am really interested in getting a definitive answer. We call ourselves "'Ελληνες"(Hellenes), for those who don't know, so i am interested in finding out both when the term appeared and what does it actually mean.

Another bit of info, irrelevant to the term "Greek" is how Greeks call the French. We call them "Galloi"(phonetically "ggallee") which comes directly from the word Gaul. Everyones else seems to call them names similar to "French". How do you call them in your language people?
    It all started in Neapolis (Napoli in italian, Naples for you Engrish ), colony of Kyme (Cumae in latin speak). Another colony or suburb was called Graea (Γραια) = "old lady", maybe in relation to the "new city" that Neapolis means. Latins encountered that city and called its inhabitants, Grae-ci. "citizens of graea". Another term would be "old hags". Well, latins have done their level best to make us look bad over the years...

Another word which was suggested was Grex/Grecis. = drove. And if that wasn't derogatory enough, Augustus would call us even "lesser" than Greeks, Graeculi.

It seems almost divine intervention, (not to say vengeance), that to save what remained of their empire they fled to the eastern lands the lands were those "Graeci" and "Graeculi" and their language ruled supreme.

Or that their own descendants would be called "Greeks" by the Germans who concquered their native lands.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by Keravnos View Post
    It all started in Neapolis (Napoli in italian, Naples for you Engrish ), colony of Kyme (Cumae in latin speak). Another colony or suburb was called Graea (Γραια) = "old lady", maybe in relation to the "new city" that Neapolis means. Latins encountered that city and called its inhabitants, Grae-ci. "citizens of graea". Another term would be "old hags". Well, latins have done their level best to make us look bad over the years...

Another word which was suggested was Grex/Grecis. = drove. And if that wasn't derogatory enough, Augustus would call us even "lesser" than Greeks, Graeculi.

It seems almost divine intervention, (not to say vengeance), that to save what remained of their empire they fled to the eastern lands the lands were those "Graeci" and "Graeculi" and their language ruled supreme.

Or that their own descendants would be called "Greeks" by the Germans who concquered their native lands.
    Oh nice one. Σ'ευχαριστώ φίλε(thank you friend). +rep

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    I kinda flipped through the first one without watching it.
    Does it actually use a screenshot from this mod???

I suppose they saw it from Arsen's slide show video of an Armenian-Ghazni AAR.

I, for one, would like to see this thread closed.
    1. It appears to be more propaganda than of interest to the BC Mod.
    2. The use of the BC art was not cited or credited by the video maker.
    3. If kept open, it will encourage others to post equally propagandaish material in these forums. BC is NOT a political Mod. TWCenter has threads/forums more suited for such matter.
    4. Did I mention the first video did not give props to AD??!!!!
    Of course this is up to Mirage (due back on my Mom's B-Day), AD and Ahiga. No offense to Levos. He, as far as I know, had nothing to do with the making of these vids, and honestly thought they would be good for BC.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

IrAr's Avatar Senator

I agree with Celtic!

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

I only watched the first video, but I dont see the problem.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

**Retired**

I started to watch it but then I went for video about drunk chicks doing shots...ahhh, my type of party.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    I only watched the first video, but I dont see the problem.
    AD, the second has the issue of modern politics. It's pretty much a recuitment film.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast