Thread: greek cities

Default greek cities

I've just started playing Rome Total War because my family finally got a computer that wasn't ****, and i have been taking out the greeks pretty easily, ... but now im reading that certain factions will be tank later on, should i wipe them out now, early or wait and see?

Default Re: greek cities

I'm a newb who's been playing on Medium difficulty for two separate campaigns (Julii and Gaul, and I beat them both); I got by just fine by conquering anything I could, whenever I could. so I'd definitely suggest wiping them out. Don't let them rebuild their military.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord View Post
    I've just started playing Rome Total War because my family finally got a computer that wasn't ****, and i have been taking out the greeks pretty easily, ... but now im reading that certain factions will be tank later on, should i wipe them out now, early or wait and see?
    Egypt will tank almost every game. So If you don't feel like fighting a superpower late game then take them out. Which faction are you playing anyway?

Sometimes Pontus will get powerful but not too often because of Egypt.

Attack Egypt's three main cities, that should cripple their economy. If you can't hold them, exterminate them and destroy every building.
    End of an era

Egypt usually leaves those three cities pretty much undefended. Take the pyramid first if you intend on keeping the cities (removes any culture penalty for you).

Egypt pretty much owns the Eastern part of the map, and greece has one city left. should i help them rebuild and try to get an alliance or destroy them, and i think its to late to go against egypt, maybe i should just go by assasinating there family members. Can assassins sabotage like in Medieval 2:TW?

Yeah they can. But I don't think it'll be that effective, even the basic Egyptian are pretty good. How late is in the campaign and what faction are you? If you are playing as one of the Roman factions or Macedon then you might have a little advantage...
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

when I played as Julii, Egypt was pretty much the only faction left, it had all of East Asia and Africa. I still kicked its ass using nothing but full stacks of samnite gladiators (I was coming through asia; didnt traverse by sea at all), and I found out later that samnites arent even that good of a unit

when I played as Gaul, Pontus became the eastern superpower

Egypt pretty much owns the Eastern part of the map, and greece has one city left. should i help them rebuild and try to get an alliance or destroy them,
    the AI is stupid, you'll play far better using the greek cities yourself, than the greek AI would.
    Last edited by piranha45; December 05, 2007 at 09:11 AM.

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by piranha45
    ...the AI is stupid, you'll play far better using the greek cities yourself, than the greek AI would.
    Amen to that.

If you are Roman (as it appears you are) and have hit the Marius Reforms, then the Egyptians are not as scary as they could be to other factions. Remember that post-Marius Romans have the best infantry in the game, period. (Plain old Legionary Cohort are more cost effective than even the revered Spartans.) Also remember that, because of their global public opinion bonus, most Egyptian cities are extremely lightly garrisoned; and the Egyptians suck at siege warfare (especially when they are trying to take a city). So take cities, and when the Egyptians try to take them back, make sure you have lots of Legionary Cohort and Archer Auxilliary hanging around. It is fun crushing an Egytian siege of three full stacks, when you only have one stack (but it is the right kind of units).

One especially nasty trick I love is the "scorched earth" policy: Take a city, and exterminate it (gives you lots of money). Retrain if necessary. THEN raze every building in the city (gives you more money); and move on to repeat at the next city. One well positioned stack should take away 4 or more cities before the Egyptians catch up to you in force. If these were the cities where they built their best troops, then they are irrevocably screwed, regardless of whether or not they defeat your rogue stack (which they should not).

Even on the field (which is where the Egyptians do much better), you can counter their feared chariots by bringing lots of archers to the party. Their chariots get 2 or 3 hitpoints, but virtually no armor nor shield. So volleys of arrows peel off those hitpoints and then the chariots start dropping like flies. Also, if a chariot gets stalled or stuck next to Legionary Cohort, it is toast.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by NobleNick; December 06, 2007 at 02:32 PM.