Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Navies...Can they compete with the west?

Default Eastern Navies...Can they compete with the west?

This post is about Eastern Navies ie Ottomons, Persians, Indians and North Africans.

Were there vessels any different to that of the Western European countries?

How did they compare technologically?

Did these factions even invest alot of money in naval technology or did they concentrate on their land conquests?
    Know that you shall die like whores and the cries of your writhings shall rise to please their lord, so before the sword, side with me in the slaughter....

Default Re: Eastern Navies...Can they compete with the west?

Quote Originally Posted by NakedBarbarian View Post
    This post is about Eastern Navies ie Ottomons, Persians, Indians and North Africans.

Were there vessels any different to that of the Western European countries?

How did they compare technologically?

Did these factions even invest alot of money in naval technology or did they concentrate on their land conquests?
    I don't know about the Persians or the Indians, but the Ottomans were usually only about one generation behind the European powers, in terms of naval technology. They often updated their navy at great expense, but their naval leadership was never really improved, hence their poor performance. The Ottoman navy also tended to be the guinea pig for European navies during this time, with just about everybody testing new weapons and ships on them, which kind of made it hard to keep the navy functional, you know?

Oh, and the North Africans during this period would be the Ottomans. France only took Algeria in 1830, Britain took Egypt in the late 1880s (exact date escapes me at the moment), and Italy took Tripolitania (Libya) in 1912.
    Son of Sétanta
    Protected by the Legion of Rahl
    Proud corporal in the house of God Emperor Nicholas
    I am a spark, soon to become a flame, and grow into an inferno...

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

the Indians had a navy!?!?!?

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

China isn't included, but they had a huge navy at some point (I think the 15th or 16th century), which they discontinued. It had HUGE warships armed with cannon and some sort of missile rockets I think, but they would perhaps have been too big to be manoevrable and speedy.
    The Ottomans (and that includes the North Africans who usually made up the Ottoman navy) basically used the same types of ships as other mediterranean nations, but they had problems keeping it modern (both in types of ships and armanent and leadership). I don't really think any other Eastern nations had a war fleet, so there's not much to compare to.

Zheng-he's flagship compared to Colombus's ship. The Chinese aren't in the game, but if they were it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to reintroduce such ships. But I really think that in this game the Eastern nations would have to adopt European military naval vessels and naval tactics (as they didn't too much of their own)

Anyway only the most powerful countries would have a war fleet, because of the expense involved, and the expense involved would force them to relocate resources from someplace else (Britain for instance only had a total of some 100 000 British soldiers, plus some 50-100 000 Indian mercenaries employed by the East India Trading Company, later they were integrated into the Empire's army, though that may have been in the 19th century... anyway their land forces were really small compared to the size of their Empire and other European armies, which after the Napoleonic wars could reach national totals of maybe a million or millions of men)
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; December 04, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Randarkmaan ... waw... i had no idea that china had that huge ships...
    (+rep)

Also i think European navy in 18th century has no competition... (England, France, Spain... they have little to fear but eachother)
    Sitarus Originalus Pontifex Maximus -30+
    Gen. von Sitar
    also known as original-30+
    Slovenci kremeniti!

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Spain was also pretty much lagging behind in the 18th century (though they showed some signs of new prosperity under the Bourbons who, for an example, removed much of the complicated and immensibly slow bureacracy involved in running the Americas, everything had been very centralised under the Habsburgs and American possessions were viewed more as dominions of the King than as colonies), anyway I don't really think the Spanish ships were as good as the British (though that probably goes for the whole world, the Dutch were beaten at this time, weren't they?)
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Whilst the Royal Navy was dominant, the French generally had the best ships with the British going for quantity over quality generally. The Scandinavian navies tended to have good quality ships as well, and the Dutch had smaller sized ships of same types compared to other nations due to the shallow nature of the Dutch coastline.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Galleys have some advantages over wind-dependent European warships, at least in combat. But no, I don't think they will be able to really compete. I don't think the developers would want to challenge their players (at least not much), and probably will have these more primitive navies in the game just so that players can 'cut their teeth' on them, so-to-speak.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

The Spanish and French actually built better ships than Britain, who's ships were actually often notoriously poorly built by corrupt shipyards.

Britain's real advantage was it's superior sailors. First off they had the biggest merchant fleet, and when war broke out, they pressed all the merchant seamen into the navy, giving them a huge advantage in able seamen available. Also their officer corps was a lot more professional and merit based, where men could rise to the top from humble origins based on their ability. The continental navies' officer corps was more a playground for aristocrats, where social status and money rather than qualifications determined rank.

This advantage was magnified throughout the 18th century as France and Spain's merchant fleet was ravaged during wars with Britain, further reducing their recruiting pool. Also, since the Royal Navy was a lot more active at sea, they were usually the ones blockading French/Spanish ports all year long while those guys stayed in port, leading to British sailors' further improving their seamanship while their opponents' degraded.

THe Ottomans needless to say were both hopelessly corrupt, and poor leading to an inferior navy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Whilst the Royal Navy was dominant, the French generally had the best ships with the British going for quantity over quality generally. The Scandinavian navies tended to have good quality ships as well, and the Dutch had smaller sized ships of same types compared to other nations due to the shallow nature of the Dutch coastline.
    Your right the Spanish and French had better ships for the most part but the Royal navy were successful because the crews were well trained and disciplined.
    Note to self – Create an exciting signature

Yes, especially during the Napoleonic wars as a lot of time was spent blockading enemy ports so the Royal Navy got a lot of experience compared to the French and Spanish. But i was just talking about the ships, not the crews.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Praepositus

for the not so much advanced nations

i propose fire ships

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    for the not so much advanced nations

i propose fire ships

are you calling us English not advanced? we used them against the Spanish armada and they worked quite well but did anyone use them in this time period???:hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by english tyrant View Post
    are you calling us English not advanced? we used them against the Spanish armada and they worked quite well but did anyone use them in this time period???:hmmm:
    I am not sure, but I dont think you could consider England advanced in sea warfare before the Armada. I would say the miraculous victory taught the English a vital lesson that they couldnt depend on miracles forever and thus the Royal Navy had its true beginning then and there.

What about the Russian navy? Will Peter the Greats reconfiguration of the navy mean that Russia's naval forces are comparable with the West's? OR will Russians navy be similar to that of the Ottomans?

Following on from this, did the cossacks have navies? i just can't imagine it when i picture cossacks i imagine armies consisting completely of cavalry like the mongols or huns.

BTW i might add to this post the question: Should factions who historically hand no navy (ie landlocked or tribal factions) be able to recruit them in ETW? Because personally i think it would be ****ing stupid and its one thing i really don't want to see...
    Know that you shall die like whores and the cries of your writhings shall rise to please their lord, so before the sword, side with me in the slaughter....

What about the Russian navy? Will Peter the Greats reconfiguration of the navy mean that Russia's naval forces are comparable with the West's? OR will Russians navy be similar to that of the Ottomans?
    Whilst Peter the Great did build up a navy, the Russian fleet had a reputation for being quickly built from greenwood so their ships were not as good quality as other western navies.
    Creator of:

I would be interested to see how the chinese constructed such vessels. The Europeans encountered limits to the size of their ships due to the wood physically not taking the weight and sagging. Did the Chinese ships have double hulls? Are they myths?
    I too have heard of the massive chinese trading ships, just not their battleships. Judging by the size of that thing its bigger than the Queen Mary.

Would like to know more

EDIT: Lusted you forgot the Spanish, they had a rep for even better ships than the French.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

EDIT: Lusted you forgot the Spanish, they had a rep for even better ships than the French.
    Depends on the time period, but both of them tended to have better ships overall than the British who focused on quantity over quality.
    Creator of:

i totally agree with Lusted on that one!
    Sitarus Originalus Pontifex Maximus -30+
    Gen. von Sitar
    also known as original-30+
    Slovenci kremeniti!

Ottoman Sailors were mostly from the Levantine coast,the so called Levents
    (levent is a famous Male Name in Modern Turkey),
    Also ill give this Pic into this Thread:

The Mahmudiye , named after Sultan Mahmut II.
    Built by the imperial Navy Arsenal in Istanbul in 1829.
    128 Cannons on 3 Decks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast