• Advanced than RTW

349 80.79%
  • Not Advanced

17 3.94%
  • Same

66 15.28%
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: ALEXANDER EB

Default Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by konny View Post
    sounds like you do not have the "-noalexander" command in your shortcut
    Thx a lot,my problem is solved, and also want to thx maksumus who trying to help me!!

maksimus's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon12 Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

Good to hear it

And I was just in the middle of all linky *txt
    check's ..

Enjoy !
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Quote Originally Posted by keet View Post
    Sorry for the confusion but my question is "Where can I get a working copy of Alexander"?

All I know is I was told from the TRY MEDIA company from where I purchased Alex that it is incompatible with my version of Rome.
    So if anyone can help me, PLEASE!!!
    So far, this is the only sitr that seems to help/be active with this issue.
    You're not crazy...I purchased Alex from TRY MEDIA last night and I'm having the exact same problem. I have a fresh, clean, unmodded, patched RTW/BI, retail version, and every time I double click the installer for Alex it says "no prior installation of Rome Total War found", and then exits. I emailed Sega last night, no response yet. I emailed TRY MEDIA, no response either. They have a 48 hour return policy, so, I emailed them and asked for my money back....yet again, I'm burned on a download-only PC game. Last time.

dito

"FORWARD FROM THE SEA"

Icon11 Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

I just cant belive that you guys cant rum it..

I don't know what could be the problem really, but I guess something will be done about it.. Have you tried Tech-Help here on TWC? I am sure there is a solution

whats the -noalexander line do?
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Icon10 Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

It allows the engine to load default EB files without the need of massive *txt changes like before (to note here, before, we had to mod the descr_start, text files, world/folders and some other)

Anyway, Lgk scaned the ALX.exe and made this much more silmpler tweak

Just one question I have both BI ann Alex. I'am Playing with BI.exe.. RTW 1.5 AI is terribly easy. Will the factions be more difficult to play with alex. to be more simple r they better balanced ?

Icon7 Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

The balance will be addressed in ALEM (Alexander EB Team Lite Alex-EB Mod - shortly - ALEM!) that is going to be out very soon .)

And, ALX exe has far more advanced AI gamplay - It is much much harder.. I see you havent read the whole thread...
    Anyways, just to illustrate it - ALX.exe - IS RETRAINING THE TROOPS all the time !
    Last edited by maksimus; January 01, 2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: :D

This is Romani peace offering every time they are defeated. Every time they try to take messana, I attack their invading army. Every time they lost the battle their diplomat will come and propose ceasefire! Ceasefire! I need money for my Egypt invasion, so I always agree in exchange for money.
    History has been rewrite. They have been financing my east african campaign around 60,000mnai (5 times defeated). Finally, I got the carthaginian avenged on the Romans (in the game). Hahaha

I invade Ptolemaioi by surprise, cancelled our alliance, trade rights and military access and started besieging their capital with Hanno leading libyan army, Mago with liby-poenician army, with two armada. Ptolemaioi are traitors, they convicted carthaginian with transgression, but the same year of carthaginian invasion at alexandria, they have army marching to the settement of syrthim province. So I just make the first move. (Just in time, I did prepare for that invasion for 15 years, coz mnai is short) Within one year, I got three major settements, then Hanno's two brothers are starting to attack from the west by land too.

Seleucid sees the situation and send diplomat to:

Maksimus, the free people at messana doesn't retrain, coz they have no money?

Icon12 Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

Well, I hope that you have fun! I think that the Diplomatic section is working much better with ALX.exe..

Anyways, The free people of Messana are 'rebels' right?
    Well, If they are 'rebels' than they don't retrain because of this:
    }
    building barracks
    {
    levels muster_field militia_barracks city_barracks army_barracks royal_barracks
    {
    muster_field requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    construction 3
    cost 900
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    militia_barracks
    }
    }
    militia_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    construction 6
    cost 3000
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    city_barracks
    }
    }
    city_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    construction 9
    cost 7500
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    army_barracks
    }
    }
    army_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    construction 12
    cost 12000
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    royal_barracks
    }
    }
    royal_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    construction 15
    cost 15000
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    This is EDU section - for slave barracks, so, they can build them but they can not train any troops (this is EB vanilla) so they cant retrain neither

BUT! Alexander EB team will do a step forward in the Alexande EB Mod - That is we will make rebels to be able to 'train' units - but we will add 'hidden resaources' (for regions - such as Hellenic or Celtic.. etc) so that the AI would not train Hoplites in Ireland - see the point?! - We will make hellenic units available only in hellenic regions for slaves and that goes for celtic units in Celtic regions .. (I have already tested that in RTW vanilla - and let me tell you that Athens stood for 100 turns!)

AND Happy New Year to ALL (I wish you all happines and good health!)!

thanks for the great news!

konny's Avatar Artifex

Rebells allready can train units in EB and I can confirm that they do so in ALX. I haven't jet seen any evidences for them re-training units in ALX, but it must be possible.

The diplomacy is way better in ALX. For example I am playing Karthago and had been ad war with the Ptolemaioi. After winning two major battles and taking Kyrene from them, they accepted peace&trade (unconditional! That is without paying them money, leave alone tribute), even though we are still bordering each other with two provinces. I never had such a thing with the RTW or BI exe.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America

What I am 100% sure is that Rebels do not retrain any units because they don't have enabled option to do so,

And this is my guess by now - I belive that script is spawning new rebel units to some point not the EDB

Anyway, I will test it eventually

I think konny is saying Rebels can "TRAIN", and Maksimus is saying "RETRAIN".

Although ALX.EXE AI is better but no AI know about using their ships, even RTW brutii use ships to cross the sea from italy to sicily, and to Africa. May be EB script can help that?
    Last edited by chenkai11; January 02, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Maksimus,

This all sounds very exciting (EB for RTW.exe is fun, but I am dying to have a challenge from the AI!)

But as I know very little about modding, could you please provide a very brief beginner summary about what ALEX.exe actually is?

My guess is that you will get a lot more people playing it if there is a simple 1 or 2-step process to installing all the necessary files, plus an overview of how the AI is superior to RTW/EB.

Apologies if you have already explained this in a much more detailed fashion, but I haven't completely understood the whole picture.

Thanks!!

MM

Quote Originally Posted by chenkai11 View Post
    I think konny is saying Rebels can "TRAIN", and Maksimus is saying "RETRAIN".
    Well yes actually .. See, I am now more sure that Rebels 'get' 'spawned' troops into their towns and regions.. so that is causing the rebel army increase.. BUT, rebels can not retrain any units so that they have more expirience after (also, some spawned AI units are really not of any use to AI in the game - for example - in AsiaMinor, most of spawned units are Archers only.. when you compare that to phalanx.. well, let's just say archers are very less likely to kill phalanx compared to some other infanrty rebels might use )

Quote Originally Posted by chenkai11 View Post
    Although ALX.EXE AI is better but no AI know about using their ships, even RTW brutii use ships to cross the sea from italy to sicily, and to Africa. May be EB script can help that?
    See the main post ! I have uploaded some pictures of AI NAVAL in ALX.exe!

Icon6 Re: The best AI for EB is on ALEX.exe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    Maksimus,

This all sounds very exciting (EB for RTW.exe is fun, but I am dying to have a challenge from the AI!)

But as I know very little about modding, could you please provide a very brief beginner summary about what ALEX.exe actually is?

My guess is that you will get a lot more people playing it if there is a simple 1 or 2-step process to installing all the necessary files, plus an overview of how the AI is superior to RTW/EB.

Apologies if you have already explained this in a much more detailed fashion, but I haven't completely understood the whole picture.

Thanks!!

MM
    Well, I can be short now (still you will have to go through some posts to know some 'more' )

Anyway, let me put it this way: ALX.exe is the result of the finall CA mark on RTW game series (it is know also as 1.9 RTW patch), It has much more advanced AI compared to RTW.exe and/or BI.exe, It uses resources and armies much better on battle and campaign field (that means he does not spare you )

A good overview of how the AI is superior to RTW/BI.exe on EB is most of the time very hard to handle because there are numerous parts of the game that are better and more faster (like, on ALX.exe I can play EB on my old PC with Celeron, but that is pure fantasy with RTW.exe ).
    Also, you can find examples of retraining and naval on the main post.. for any further info we need all the players with their separate remarks and observations.. LIKE THE ONE's chenkai11 and Konny made about Diplomacy!

Also ALX.exe enables advanced AI features that you can find more about in the ''ALEX EB MOD'' thread in my signature linky

Quote Originally Posted by maksimus View Post
    Well, I can be short now (still you will have to go through some posts to know some 'more' )

Thanks a lot...I originally thought ALX.exe and ALEX.exe were two different EXE files, one replacing the other, which is what I didn't understand...but having read through your original post a couple of times, I see they are one and the same.

Is it absolutely necessary to make all the copy & pastes to the txt files in order to play, or do they just regard night fighting?

I have never modded a text file before (other than preferences) so I am not quite sure what to expect.

Thanks again.

konny's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by maksimus View Post
    See, I am now more sure that Rebels 'get' 'spawned' troops into their towns and regions.. so that is causing the rebel army increase.. BUT, rebels can not retrain any units so that they have more expirience after (also, some spawned AI units are really not of any use to AI in the game - for example - in AsiaMinor, most of spawned units are Archers only..)
    That is the reason why I think that they are trained by the AI and not scripted. For example, in Rhegion I now (239 BC) have two additional units of inexperinced Hoplitai Haploi - typical AI-deployment. Even though I can't see how they raise units because there is no valid entry in the EDB for them; on the other hand I haven't found a script command for spawning rebells either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    Is it absolutely necessary to make all the copy & pastes to the txt files in order to play, or do they just regard night fighting?
    You need the "immortal"-fix, otherwise your characters won't die of age. Everything related to night battles is not needed to play.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America