Thread: A question about names and how they appear in various files

Default A question about names and how they appear in various files

I'm confused about some of the names files and hoping you all can give me some aid.

Which files have which restrictions? In other words:

In the names.txt file, no special/international characters or spaces are allowed between the {} brackets, correct?

What about the other files? Are there restrictions like that for the names in descr_names_lookup.txt and descr_names and descr_strat?

The reason I'm confused is because the files in CNP 3.0 have differences in the same file.

As an example from the names.txt (and thus the .bin too):

In the CNP names.txt, there is an entry for {al_Andalusi}al-Andalusi and also an entry for {al-Andalusi}al-Andalusi and they can't both be correct, can they?

And there are entries for {af_Aebelholt}af Æbelholt and {af_Birkerod}af Birkerød which suggest non-standard letters need to be converted but not too far after that are entries for {af_Åkirkeby}af Åkirkeby and more with the Å inside the brackets.

Another example is names with spaces. The CNP names.txt has an entry for {Mael Muire}Máel Muire with a space inside the bracket, but the next entry is {Mael_Bricin}Máel Bricín which seems to indicate a space must be shown as a _ when inside the brackets.

And I don't get at all what is going on with the names.txt entry of {Zver_}Zver_

Won't that show in the game as "Zver_"?

And then there are differences in the other files, such as the descr_names.txt file.

In the CNP descr_names.txt file, some of the names use an underscore _ for spaces and - but some don't. So, in the list for Egypt in that file, for example, all the spaces are changed to the _ such as in Abu_Bakr. But in the most of the other factions, the spaces are left in, like in the locatives such as de Bigod in the English list.

Likewise in the descr_strat names, the same thing. Abu_Bakr for Egypt but von Hohenstaufen for the HRE.

I was trying to fix some bugs in the TLR names list, but now I'm just seriously confused. :hmmm:

Help!

And thanks, in advance.
    Last edited by Averroës; November 29, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Default Re: A question about names and how they appear in various files

Basically you found the mistakes in CNP 3.0 that I have planned to fix whenever I get time.

In the CNP names.txt, there is an entry for {al_Andalusi}al-Andalusi and also an entry for {al-Andalusi}al-Andalusi and they can't both be correct, can they?
    Actually _ or - is fine, that doesn't matter.

And there are entries for {af_Aebelholt}af Æbelholt and {af_Birkerod}af Birkerød which suggest non-standard letters need to be converted but not too far after that are entries for {af_Åkirkeby}af Åkirkeby and more with the Å inside the brackets.
    A mistake, it should be af_Akirkeby inside the brackets, and also af_Akirkeby in descr_names and descr_strat.

It should be {Mael_Muire}Máel Muire and {Zver_}Zver'.

Interestingly enough, the _ doesn't seem to be needed for double barred surnames, like von Hohenstaufen, but you have to use it for double barrelled forenames or you get blank names.

Hopefully this weekend, I will fix the problem myself, so leave to me until Monday.

Thanks for the response Finneys13!

It wasn't a complaint about the CNP files, it just had me totally confused. I'm trying to update The Long Road names to CNP 3.0. TLR was using an older version from before some of the name lists were finished by you guys. It's been months since I helped a bit with the Moor names; but they weren't in the TLR files either.

So, the only file which requires the _ is the names.txt file, inside the brackets?

I need the underscore _ for all spaces and ` accent type characters inside the brackets in names.txt and only normal Latin letters in there as well.

What about descr_names.txt, descr_names_lookup.txt and descr_strat text?

Which of those requires an underscore _ or use of only Latin letters? I'm still a bit confused about that as well.

If you want, once I'm clear on what can go in each file, I'd be happy to go through and correct the files for you. I have them all up in a spreadsheet already for comparison with the old TLR files.

Edit: reading it again, you seem to be saying with "A mistake, it should be af_Akirkeby inside the brackets, and also af_Akirkeby in descr_names and descr_strat" that the underscore _ for spaces and ' accent marks and only standard Latin letters should appear in the descr_names and descr_strat. Or am I reading it wrong? What about descr_names_lookup?

If that is the case, then for the sake of consistency is it reasonable for all names in the files, except the part after the {} in names.txt, to always use _ for spaces and non-letters like - and ' as well as using only Latin letters instead of things like Ö and Å?

That way is it always consistent, and the Ø and Ñ type characters can then be safely used, just after the {} in names.txt and nowhere else. The same for spaces in all names and things like the - in al-Andalusi.
    Last edited by Averroës; November 30, 2007 at 04:06 PM.

Pretty much, the only non-Latin letters, ie. no accents, etc., I use inside the brackets is _ and -.

What is inside the brackets should also be the versions inside descr_names.txt, and descr_strat. The name_lookup file is useless, it does nothing, but when you use this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90433 , it makes the lookup file for you using the inside bracket version.

I'm not doing much this weekend, so I will work on the files, expect it by Sunday evening.

Thanks, Finney13. You've removed my confusion.

I think that explains many of the CTDs people have been experiencing in TLR. The TLR names files had non-standard characters inside the brackets and spread throughout the other files. So, whenever the game tried to create a rebel unit using one of those names in the descr-names.txt, the game crashed when it hit the bugged ones in the names.txt file.

About half done, will upload it tomorrow.

This is more or less finished, it's just the Spanish queen doesn't want to work for me

I will keep working on it.

Okay done, please let me if you have any more problems, this is v3.99, if in a week or so, there is no more problems, I will release v4.00, hopefully the final version for CNP, with vanilla and Kingdoms files.

Wondeful, thanks!