Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC: Multiplayer Campaign

Default BC: Multiplayer Campaign

UPDATE (01-14-08) BC TWC MULTIPLAYER CAMPAIGN SIGN UP!!! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141035

==================================================================================================
    Original Post
    ==================================================================================================

This may be a little premature, but I just wanted to see the interest there would be for Broken Crescent Multiplayer campaign games. After doing a search I found no such topic relating to this and while we already have a show of hands for BC multiplayer battles, I would like to see specifically who would be interested in playing the campaign together.

TWC is a great way to share your turns, through use of the upload tool. Using the forums will prevent any hold up or loss of data over email and as well as provide a place for everyone to talk about the campaign in progress. I assume once the mod is released new threads could be formed for a particular campaign group forming or a game underway.

So what are you choice for factions I'm having a hard time deciding and need to do more research. Also feel free to post your contact info as this thread could be used as a contact list. To contact me simply PM, I'm usually here on a daily basis unless really busy.
    Last edited by Armatus; January 14, 2008 at 07:27 AM.

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Default Re: BC: Multiplayer Campaign

A cooler way would be too play it as one of the "multiple player interactive histories" at The Guild (totalwar.org) and fight the battles that occur as multiplayer battles.
    If you want an example of this, you could check out the 17th century interactive (at totalwar.org), I'm sure IrAr knows what I'm talking about, assuming he is the same as "IrishArmenian" from The Guild.

Only downside is that it would be a lot of work to run it, but it could be a more fun and realistic way to fight online battles. And the guy running it would be saved some hassle in figuring out who won a battle, he could simply watch the replay.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Sinan's Avatar Senator

IMO the org is better for this. I don;t about .net's Game Masters, but org's got great one, particularly econ21. I'd like to join naturally, time permitting.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

It wouldn't matter that much if we did it here or at the .org (if we do it), it could be fun none the less.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Yes, it is me, Randarkmaan.
    You mean play a BC campaign in the Throne Room, yes? The Chapterhouse is for forum based interactive histories.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

This is the best idea, ever.
    Last edited by zznɟ ǝɥʇ; November 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM.

I'm interested in all forms of multiplayer and if someone wanted to GM this interactive history thing which I've not heard of count me in!

The Chapterhouse is for forum based interactive histories.
    What I was thinking was that we'd play it like 17th century interactive, except we'd fight the battles that occur as multiplayer games, then we'd save the replay and post it in the thread (or to the guy running it, so he can make an AAR). The campaign portion could be made a lot more "realistic" by doing so, and we could also have the fun diplomacy that 17th century had, like me supporting IrishArmenian as a dethroned tsar. And also more realistic raising of troops and we could incorporate a rough attrition system (for an example by editing the EU to make units smaller, before the battle)

Hmm sounds cool, I'm still a little confused how you would play the campaign, but does sound like a lot of work for somebody

Hmm yeah, I'm a bit worried at how much work this would involve for all players, with having to battle online and all. It would be unquestionably better, but I wonder we there's enough interest to do this as well as a regular hotseat campaign.

Regular hotseat is easy, I'm currently involved in a vanilla campaign with 5 players and I'm waiting for my next turn. We agreed to each take 1 turn per day.

Ofcourse it would be hard, but if we shomehow managed it, it would be fun, otherwise I'd rather just play the campaign singleplayer, or play normal multiplayer games, you can't fight battles (at least the ones where you're not attacking) in Hotseat.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

I have a question: how would you reflect the outcome of the multiplayer battles on the campaign map ? i.e how do you make the changes to the armies on the campmap after the multiplayer battles. And has that method of making those changes been successfully tried before ?

Apologies for my ignorance on this matter.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

I have a question: how would you reflect the outcome of the multiplayer battles on the campaign map ? i.e how do you make the changes to the armies on the campmap after the multiplayer battles. And has that method of making those changes been successfully tried before ?
    Well, if we took our time and perhaps discussed how (and if) we are going to do this, then we would find a way.
    Though I would suggest if we did such a campaign, we do it on a selected region of the map, for an example India and Afghanistan, and everyone could for an example be a character in their respective state (for an example use the starting available characters for the factions as choices)

Also, I've been reading part of the 17th century post on totalwar.org, pretty cool looking at it, my guy, the Sultan, had quite the double morals; talking of peace and tolerance, yet attempting to conquer Austria, get influence in Russia and break Poland and I cursed ("may Allah's curse be upon him" in the style of Usamah ibn Munqidh) every Christian ruler who opposed me. And I don't think I ever was able to properly aid Russia (IrAr), despite lots of tall talk
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; November 27, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Randarkmaan View Post
    Also, I've been reading part of the 17th century post on totalwar.org, pretty cool looking at it, my guy, the Sultan, had quite the double morals; talking of peace and tolerance, yet attempting to conquer Austria, get influence in Russia and break Poland and I cursed ("may Allah's curse be upon him" in the style of Usamah ibn Munqidh) every Christian ruler who opposed me. And I don't think I ever was able to properly aid Russia (IrAr), despite lots of tall talk
    Hehe, good times. As Pyotor Romanov, I was about to attack you if things played out.
    I thought you meant the PBM campaigns. Very, very popular at the .Org. (Ahhh, my first home)

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Hey Randyman don't forget your scheming Vizier. It was sad to see the HRE and Russian rulers melt down like that.

I've been wanting to do something like this for quite a while but it would take A LOT of work. Something like the following:

A player declares his intent to attack another player.

The game master determines if a battle is inevitable (out of movement points, ambush, etc) and creates a multiplayer battle where he recreates the armies as close as possible. A problem here would be getting the terrain right. And no pausing which would aggravate me.

Since I don't believe saved battles are exact reproductions, the game master would have to rely on post-battle text files (if they exist, like in MTW) to create what is left of the two armies after the battle.

Thus battles would take a lot of real time to complete and you may have certain errors like terrain and city/castle inconsistencies. It is real cheezy though to autocalc all the battles. What's the point in playing the game then?

I would love to see if this is possible though. Once BC comes out I may create a thread at the .org asking how to make it possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdamar View Post

Since I don't believe saved battles are exact reproductions,

What do you mean? Saved battles are an exact reproduction.

Not if you alter stats between the time you played the battle and when you play the replay. Happened to me once in Rome, I was confused to say the least, though the units kept trying to do what I had ordered them to do.
    I think replays do not record the battle so to say, but they keep track of what the player/computer did and duplicates this (so unless you alter some stats or other the battle should play out the exact same way). They are more of a "reenactment"

what do you mean alter stats as in what stats? In Rome there was an issue with battles playing out differently than what was actually played that's not the case now as far as I can tell from my own replays and I do change unit sizes sometimes so you must be referring to some other kinds of stats and even so that would not make sense as the battle was captured just the way it played.

woops, forgot that you can't play replays where you have altered important datafiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast