Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preview of the Khwarezmian Empire

Default Re: Preview of the Khwarezmian Empire

Very nice! Glad to see the mod's going East.

Just two minor naming things--Central Asians don't have anything called Saracens, ethnically. And Irani just means from Iran in Persian, so it's a geographical designation when all the other units were ethnic.

Anyway, great armor, attractive units, keep it up!

Edited to say: I REALLY love the heavy infantry armor. Like, a lot. Amazing job!
    WWGD---WHAT WOULD GENGHIS DO?

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

Make Croatians in early campaign. We don't need more muslims in God forgoten highlands of middle east. We want cool small European factions.

Plus KK you are the man! You know that! But I think you should think about making a final product. So no new factions, no new units. Just finish reskining, polish unit cards, accents, fix all the bugs, carefully go through all faction and engines. Cause this way the mod is awsome. Bad things are the bugs. Missing cards, sounds or units in roosters. You should think about that!
    Last edited by Sir Nicholas Altman; November 26, 2007 at 02:57 AM.

Me likes! Nice to get an eastern faction.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Awesome work as always KK!!! Can't wait to see them in action. Hope you get your graphics card problems sorted out soon mate

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Bacon!'s Avatar Decanus

wow, im getting a very good new computer soon so playing SS with such great features as this will be great fun. brill jobs on the models btw

i do agree with altman a bit because they do seem like they will be very far east and maybe a bit out of the way but hey still better a new faction then no new faction ^.^

Kyias's Avatar Semisalis

I'm excited to see the extended map east

Always did feel that the Middle Eastern factions had quite a small area.

Great work and look forward to this

King Kong
    I am sure you have read all the CAE and BC stuff on history but my favourites are http://www.allempires.com/article/in...zm_shah_empire and http://mwcnews.net/content/view/1098/26/. Some things that do come to mind;

1. Buildings: I have mentioned adding in the silk route, also to a lesser extent wine for france and wool for england. With the inclusion of this faction I feel its vital for such, as the main strength of this empire was the wealth generated by Samakand. The silk route was also of prime importance for the spread of religion, ideas, wealth etc. http://www.umid.uz/Main/Uzbekistan/H...samarkand.html

2. Black: I believe this may give issues with radar maps and such so although the flag would be historically pure black, you may need to ad lib here and with the colour on the stat map.

3. Turks: With these now in the game the turkish position needs to be examinded as there main foes were Byzantium and Mongols. Historically this faction would take the brunt of the mongols attack early in the game (if they stupidly also reject the peace offer of Gengis Khan), so you will also need to update the events file.

4. India: If the map is extended east for this faction, then events and mercs could be included from India.

5. Timurids: In effect this faction grows into the Timurids (after there distruction by the Mongols, and there fall, this is where the Timurids arise), so perhaps you can remove this horde and add the units to the The Khwarezmian Empire as their top tier units (toned done a bit). I belive in 1.3 Kingdoms you can change the faction name ingame so this feature could be used here. (Perhaps the same with some other factions as well).

6 New Cities: Merv, Bukhara, Kesh, Samakand

Bukhara Conquered by Alexander the Great, Bukhara was the western meeting point of the northern and southern branches of the Silk Route and a great centre of commerce, religion and culture. In Sanskrit, Bukhara means ‘monastery’, and in the Islamic world, the city is still remembered as ‘the noble and glorious stronghold of faith’. In its centre are the three remaining Taqis – vaulted and domed bazaars, each monopolised by a separate trade: money-changers, cap-makers, jewellers. Nearby is Maghoki-Attar, central Asia's oldest surviving mosque, built on top of earlier Buddhist and Zoroastrian temples.
    http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...ilkroute7.html

Best of Luck
    Last edited by Quark; November 26, 2007 at 10:16 AM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Excellent work, looking forward to the release!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nicholas Altman View Post
    We don't need more muslims in God forgoten highlands of middle east.
    Actually Khwarezm is a low-land region based on the Amu Darya and Syr Darya river systems. Similar to the nile or Euphrates-Tigris rivers. Also, at this period it was one of the richest places on earth thanks to the silk road traffic which was at its height. A city like Merv (south of Urgench) had already reached the status of largest city on earth by this time - so very far from 'god forgotten'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ughout_history (ctrl-f "merv")
    Last edited by Miraj; November 26, 2007 at 11:19 AM.

King Kong, now that you have adeed this new faction (I would suppose it's early age campaign faction, right?), you now have one more reason to remove the americas and expand the map slightly east and south in order to give this new faction (and other muslim factions) more space for provinces(and you can save more provinces by removing the americas).

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Actually Khwarezm is a low-land region based on the Amu Darya and Syr Darya river systems. Similar to the nile or Euphrates-Tigris rivers. Also, at this period it was one of the richest places on earth thanks to the silk road traffic which was at its height. A city like Merv (south of Urgench) had already reached the status of largest city on earth by this time - so very far from 'god forgotten'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ughout_history (ctrl-f "merv")
    Although I would like one faction at Balkan at some point, both at early and late era. Reason, being from those parts myself and gamewise,small buffer zone betwean Hungary, Byzantines and Venice. Also I think Balkans have been neglected but but, posts like of Sir Nicholas Altman is begging for eastern factions.

Some europeans picture just desert and camels whn you say middle east.
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

well many non dutch are surprised when I say the netherlands have 12 provinces...

There actually are no decent camel units in medieval 2 exept for camel gunners, but nothing for a good melee.

How are you planning on adding the units for Khwarezmid if SS has already reached the final unit limit of 500 types of units?

maybe taking merc's or some clones units from a few factions !
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

republic_bohemia's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    King Kong, now that you have adeed this new faction (I would suppose it's early age campaign faction, right?), you now have one more reason to remove the americas and expand the map slightly east and south in order to give this new faction (and other muslim factions) more space for provinces(and you can save more provinces by removing the americas).

I agree with you take Americas aways please.

republic_bohemia's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    well many non dutch are surprised when I say the netherlands have 12 provinces...

There actually are no decent camel units in medieval 2 exept for camel gunners, but nothing for a good melee.
    True that,I wish Egypt has camel units.

maybe you can use another faction camels for egypt and change textures via battle_models..etc etc
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I believe there were even cathapract camels in rome total war, I gues they didnt like armored camels in the medieval period. Or did they become less common like elephants?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nicholas Altman View Post
    We don't need more muslims in God forgoten highlands of middle east. We want cool small European factions.
    Hmmm woke up on the bigoted, Eurocentric, ignorant side of the bed today, have we?
    Classy. Reeeeal classy.
    WWGD---WHAT WOULD GENGHIS DO?

Thanks all for the nice comments!

Hi Mirage,
    Wow! Great job. Looks like we've got some competition.

Urgench? So that means you've expanded the map quite a bit.

Keep up the great work.
    I really was afraid of only one opinion... and that was yours
    So your comment was quite releiving... Thank you!
    And I don't think we should have a competition here. Of course it was challenging to make this faction after seing the BC units, but I never had in mind to compete anyone or any other mod.
    I'm pretty sure (and hope) both mods will stay unique in their own way.
    Also keep up the good work and I really wish the whole BC team good luck with the first release!

Hi Inhuman One,
    Maybe they could get a camel unit too?

Perhaps some existing mercenaries from around that region could be in their roster?
    Well, of course I was thinking about some kind of camel units, but I wanted to make this faction historically quite accurate.
    I own quite many Osprey books of Saracens, Persians or Mongols and I have resaerched a lot in the internet and I havn't found any hint for the use of camels in a battle.
    If someone can tell me the opposite I may include a camel unit.
    Actually I believe that ven elephants would be historically more accurate..

Hi Byg,
    I suggest a more powerful graphics card if that's any help?
    If you can get me one.

Hi aaronpeake & Ceasar,
    All i can say is you keep coming up with the goods kk!!! amazing i pray you sort your graphics card issue out soon
    Awesome work as always KK!!! Can't wait to see them in action. Hope you get your graphics card problems sorted out soon mate
    Thank you both mates! I hope to get a new gc soon...

Hi Quark,
    as always, a special thanks for your really detailed and constructive suggestions and ideas!
    I'll look what I can do...
    Keep it up!

Hi Gazi Husrev-Beg
    Finally, I have awaited something so good to challenge/kill my graphic card (beyond BC ofcourse). They look pretty cool. Love helmets (patterns), shields, armor. You are nailing it. If you can work little bit with Turks and Egyptians (estetics) as you are creating Kwarzemirians, that would be great. Pretty plz man... They need total remake, well, after these shots and tha are WIP, vanilla Turks and Egyptians need work on. Also I could use some allies against mongols, how can I invade Europe whn mongols are on my throat, just as I can pacify them, Timurs invade...argh!!!

PS! Faces look awsome, but could need slight variation maybe on some pics.
    Thank you! And well, a total reskin of the turks will be a lot of work..
    Maybe I will change some things step by step.
    I know that the faces have only one texture a t the moment but I'll try to change that.

Hi Ahiga,
    I like the abundance of heavy foot archers, and of course all the other units too. Looks like a really cool roster.
    Thank you! As a main BC member I especially appreciate your comment, too.

Shayan Mirca,

Thanks! and thanks for the correction!

Hi Sir Nicholas & Bacon

Well, I can't add much to what Mirage already said. I think the eastern factions are really underestimated and underrepresented in M2.
    Just do a search for the khwarezmians or other arabic factions and you will see how mighty, wealthy and well-armored their armies of many of them were. Especially the Khwarezmians.
    Their Empire was really huge and they had just bad luck that the Mongols destroyed their completet empire.

Hi numerosdecimus,
    I'm really thinking more and more about that...:hmmm:

Hi Kiki,
    How are you planning on adding the units for Khwarezmid if SS has already reached the final unit limit of 500 types of units?
    There are several ways to free some unit slots
    Last edited by King Kong; November 26, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast