Thread: Questions about Japanese woman

Default Questions about Japanese woman

I have some questions about the samurai culture.

If a woman is the consort of a samurai, is she than samurai too?

Also, if a woman is the daughter of a samurai or daimyo is she than samurai too?

And now more game related, will historical characters such as Kenshin Uesugi be represented?
    Last edited by Sureņo; November 23, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
    ...Opportunities multiply as they are seized....

Default Re: Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sureņo View Post
    I have some questions about the samurai culture.

If a woman is the consort of a samurai, is she than samurai too?

Also, if a woman is the daughter of a samurai or daimyo is she than samurai too?

And now more game related, will historical characters such as Kenshin Uesugi be represented?
    Samurai was a hereditary title. So the whole family would have been samurai family, but ofcourse the task of the women in samurai family would not have been to act as samurai in their role as warriors.

Historical characters that were alive in the campaign starting date, 1524 are represented. After that the player starts creating his own version of history with his game play. Once the main campaign will be out, there will be provincial campaigns that start on different date and those should include also some of the most known characters, like Uesugi Kenshin or Oda Nobunaga.

Awesome Kagemusha! Thanks for the reply.

Eutopoi's Avatar Libertus

It is beautiful to see a your post again Kagemusha ^^
    [...]

Lift your fist without trembling/ Learn to read the things around you/ Break then into pieces all that at its basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    but ofcourse the task of the women in samurai family would not have been to act as samurai in their role as warriors.
    Ah but there are exceptions and I think I also remember that they are trained in a particular martial art, possibly with naginata or such, so they may defend their houses while the men are away.

Yes the naginate and another weapon which I forgot. Although that still wouldn't be their prime task I imagine.

Also, what happened if a samurai (male or female) were to marry a peasant, if that would happen at all. Does the peasant wife inherit the title of samurai?

Musashi's Avatar Semisalis

I'm not sure about other things but if I remember correctly there where some short of peasant-samurai unions. I gues the shildren from those unions could become a samurai.
    Even if a thousand people believe in a lie, it's still a lie.
    Oh. If you don't understand my english then I'm sorry. I'm just bad at it. Now playing:

Icon14 Re: Questions

Hi
    I just thought i post this link as it my help with his question.
    http://www2.una.edu/Takeuchi/DrT_Jpn...le_samurai.htm

Also this link for info on the most well known female warrior in Japan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomoe_Gozen

Hope that helps

Also keep up the good work. I have been waiting and watching for a long time now and know that it will be worth the wait.

Facinating article, explains a lot. So I can assume a female buke member wasn't necessarily a follower of bushido.

By the way, are you Maeda from the .com?
    Last edited by Sureņo; December 04, 2007 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sureņo View Post
    Facinating article, explains a lot. So I can assume a female buke member wasn't necessarily a follower of bushido.

By the way, are you Maeda from the .com?
    No i am not. This is the first time using this name. I am a fan of Maeda Toshiie and this wife Matsu. After watching the 41st NHK Taiga Drama Toshiie to Matsu. Worth a watch if you can get it.

As for women following bushido. Well they where ready to die with there lord if the worst was to happen plus they had to face the fact that there sons would follow there fathers to battle. So i would say yes, But in there own way.

The Bushido code is typified by seven virtues which samurai familys i would think would live by. They are as follows.
    Rectitude (義, gi)
    Courage (勇, yū)
    Benevolence (仁, jin)
    Respect (礼, rei)
    Honesty (誠, makoto or 信 shin)
    Honour, Glory (名誉, meiyo)
    Loyalty (忠義, chūgi)

I would check Wikipedia for more info as thats where i go.

I tried, but couldn't find the series .