Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victory Conditions

Default Victory Conditions

What will the nature of the victory conditions be?

Is it going to be territories, or something different. Any thoughts on that?

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Re: Victory Conditions

To be honest we haven't really gone into detail on the specifics yet. What we were thinking about was trying to re-capture some of the point system feeling that MTW one used. In that game you had to meet varied criteria for each faction- territories was amongst that but also a certain few types of buildings and so on. With scripting now we can do a lot more than ever before. I'm sure we can cook up some good stuff. Any suggestions yourself?

I like the concept of points. I also believe that some territorial criteria needs to be included.

It has to be a mixture of the two, but I don't like the idea of owning x number of provinces. It makes sense in RTW, because you are trying to establish the Roman Empire, but it does not make sense for MTW. Having said that, good luck in determining the criteria, lol.

France for example could be required to establish a unified France. Byzantines to restore the Eastern Roman Empire, the Muslim factions to be the representatives of Islam, things like that I guess.

Exactly

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

Very nice!

I always hated how I felt pressured to conquer all of Europe, when I just want to unite Wales, Scotland, Ireland, northern France and the Netherlands under the English banner (not even a quarter of the territorial requirements in vanilla)

Sig made by XKillerX

"From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
    The crownless again shall be king.
    "

one of the things we were discussing recently was the idea of scripted custom missions, these would be parallel with your factions victory goals. for each one that is completed you gain rewards, and it brings you one step (point) closer to victory!

>>hehe i wonder how far fans will take that little bit of info<<
    sorry team couldn't resist

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

Sig made by XKillerX

"

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

i liked the victory conditions of MTW very much.In MTW,you could also gain points by building.for example,if you were the moors,you had to build the alhambra in granada,and if you were the french,you had to build the notre dame and the (?-)chapel in paris,and krak des chevaliers in tripoli region.is this possible to do this?i think this would surely rock too!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos View Post
    i liked the victory conditions of MTW very much.In MTW,you could also gain points by building.for example,if you were the moors,you had to build the alhambra in granada,and if you were the french,you had to build the notre dame and the (?-)chapel in paris,and krak des chevaliers in tripoli region.is this possible to do this?i think this would surely rock too!
    we will be discussing this in detail in our head office over at he DotS forum very soon buddy so hold your ideas til then

is there a way to GREATLY lower squalor and distance to capital? I know that if that was done to a greater scale it could allow the player to enjoy doing what has been proposed here. So that the player can simply enjoy conquering english isles and building it up to its maximum level. Such things like that have always pleased me greatly. One thing that has always saddened me was when i was forced to sack my own cities just to lower the squalor levels. Ive never heard of a city rebelling because of too many rats. That and the city represents the main city in the countryside, so why should squalor ever be evident.

Distant to capital is also annoying, I always believed that if a city is run fairly, low taxes, and well protected and managed, there shouldnt be a distance to capital problem.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Lavastein View Post
    is there a way to GREATLY lower squalor and distance to capital? I know that if that was done to a greater scale it could allow the player to enjoy doing what has been proposed here. So that the player can simply enjoy conquering english isles and building it up to its maximum level. Such things like that have always pleased me greatly. One thing that has always saddened me was when i was forced to sack my own cities just to lower the squalor levels. Ive never heard of a city rebelling because of too many rats. That and the city represents the main city in the countryside, so why should squalor ever be evident.

Distant to capital is also annoying, I always believed that if a city is run fairly, low taxes, and well protected and managed, there shouldnt be a distance to capital problem.
    A little off topic, perhaps?

Sig made by XKillerX

"

@Lavastein, please stay on topic or start a new thread

is there a way to GREATLY lower squalor and distance to capital? I know that if that was done to a greater scale it could allow the player to enjoy doing what has been proposed here. So that the player can simply enjoy conquering english isles and building it up to its maximum level. Such things like that have always pleased me greatly..
    Allowing this would not be in the interests of our mod goals because to do so would ruin historical accuracy, however, in DotS following the historical expansion on your faction will be made easier than if you were to try and expand un-historically.
    The details on this will not be revealed here though so please do not ask.

One thing that has always saddened me was when i was forced to sack my own cities just to lower the squalor levels. Ive never heard of a city rebelling because of too many rats. That and the city represents the main city in the countryside, so why should squalor ever be evident.

Distant to capital is also annoying, I always believed that if a city is run fairly, low taxes, and well protected and managed, there shouldn’t be a distance to capital problem
    The distance to capital penalty is the games way to portray the faction leaders inability to enforce rulership over far away lands due to lack of presence, this give local upcoming rulers/leaders the perfect opportunity to rebel against the crown and declare rulership of their own.
    In DotS we have developed a way for these regions to be governed in a way that is more historical yet you will loose a certain level of control of these far away settlements… our new feature has not been thoroughly tested so we will not divulge info on it as yet, though I can tell you that one of the included features will be a focus on loyalty-happiness-law vs unrest resulting in a forced revolt or continued authority (rulership).

Something I would like to see are growing rebellions.

For intance your playing as Denmark and in the far north around Uppsala a small band of Viking raiders (2-3) a unit of peasant archers and a unit of Huscarls pop up. They're not a serious threat to your settlements and your strapped for cash anyway cause your locked in a bitter war with the HRE and Poland. So you leave em be. Lo and behold 2 turns later, they are now led by a generals bodygaurd and 2- 3 units of Norse swordsmen. A few more turns and your settlements are getting angry, your income is dropping, and your faithful family members are either gaining or losing loyalty drastically as you continuously refrain from action. After like 10 turns you've got a full blow rebellion on your hands, with a ringleader, several of your own nobles following suit possibly taking thier provinces with them and a somewhat professional army 1-2 stacks large standing smack dab in the middle of your empire. Whats a king to do? Now thats a challenge. And could be historically accurate depending on the timing and faction.

It's pretty impossible to 'grow' a rebellion with direct control or scripting but we can make a rebellion a bigger problem over time if it is not dealt with and make it have knock-on consequences. Thta is something we are planning to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    It's pretty impossible to 'grow' a rebellion with direct control or scripting but we can make a rebellion a bigger problem over time if it is not dealt with and make it have knock-on consequences. Thta is something we are planning to implement.
    Word. Sorta like if you don't knock em dead within a couple o turns they start blockading your ports or attacking your poorly defended settlements?

Or maybe if you don't deal with one rebel stack soon enough another will pop up, and then another and another...

I gotta hand it to you guys, I've tried just about every M2TW mod out there and this one I am eagerly drooling for. I truly admire your passion and dedication to the subject.

Lamanz's Avatar Biarchus

Oh man, I am just loving this more and more. This mod is going to be AMAZING!

Sig made by XKillerX

"

I just have to say that Im please your changing the Victory conditions and adding a load of new factions. I came over to M2TW after playing Europa Universalis 3. I love the way that game has no victory conditions and hundreds of factions.

M2TW will be greatly improved with your mod!! Cant wait for it to come out.

H.r.E.'s Avatar Ducenarius

with this "growing rebellion"-feature it would be unfair if rebels could hide in forests so you would never see them but there armies get larger and larger until they attck

edit: btw i would add more rebellions in north italy
    Last edited by H.r.E.; April 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by H.r.E. View Post
    with this "growing rebellion"-feature it would be unfair if rebels could hide in forests so you would never see them but there armies get larger and larger until they attck

edit: btw i would add more rebellions in north italy
    I played SS too and the ambushes and the non retreat feature are of my favorit!
    Why rebel ambushes are not good?
    Ambush was the main rebel warfare!
    In a realistic game you will need a lot of spies and to moove carefully...
    That is what war is all about!
    This mod will offer muximum realism(that is why i help with the byzantine roster)!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

H.r.E.'s Avatar Ducenarius

ya hmm , so this is one of the parts you want to make it more challenging and more challenging to have an bigger empire ? [ i read about the point-victory conditions and stuff and about making it less needed to conquer that much{i find it pretty cool indeed}]

EDIT: ok not you but i mean the DOTS team
    Last edited by H.r.E.; April 27, 2008 at 01:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast