Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Lepidus\Aquilinus.

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Lepidus\Aquilinus.

If we take Sicily then we will need to reinforce our legions before sending them over, I gather that Carthage is still a power over there.
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Licinius View Post
    If we take Sicily then we will need to reinforce our legions before sending them over, I gather that Carthage is still a power over there.

To reinforce them would mean we would need to get out of debt first, which if I'm not mistaken was the reason for invading Sicily. Let us try somewhere closer that would requirer less forces, let us bring the states of northern Italy to heel. All the nations of Italy need to be united in her struggle against their more powerful nabors. Once we have solid base we can look outward.
    Last edited by EmperorCharles; November 22, 2007 at 09:02 AM.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCharles View Post

To reinforce them would mean we would need to get out of debt first, which if I'm not mistaken was the reason for invading Sicily. Let us try somewhere closer that would requirer less forces let us bring the states of northern Italy to heel. All the nations of Italy needs to be united in her struggle against their more powerful nabors. Once we have solid base we can look outward.
    I agree with you, we shouldn't be too eager to expand. I think it might require three or more legions to subdue Sicily and I only mean the Greek parts.
    The Crazy Finn

"Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army. I raise my toast to the Finnish Army."

J. Stalin 1948

I also agree. We are in no position to invade Sicily. And even if we were, we would have to be ready for a reaction from Carthage. The best is to unify the whole peninsula first. After that, with good economic policies, the financial situation will improve.
    --------------------
    Simon

Winter's Avatar Civitate

All this ridiculous talk of invading Sicily has me greatly concerned. You do realize that we are 125,000 denarii in debt, losing 4,000 denarii every three months (turn), don't you? Our legions are stretched to the breaking point, being held together by thousands of conscripted Italians. We cannot invade Sicily even in the near future. We need to build the economy!

As to the decision about destroying temples, as Consul in the field I believe that falls under my jurisdiction, and in an effort to secure the allegiance of the people conquered I will NOT pull down their temples or desecrate their cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Well said, Senator!

Is there any direct menace to Rome left on the peninsula? If not, may I suggest that we reduce the size of the army? We cannot afford to maintain it as is given our desastrous financial situation! If we keep loosing money, it will be the end of Rome anyway!
    --------------------
    Simon

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Ha! Just wait until you see the update I am preparing right now. You'll forget you ever thought that.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

I hope by that you mean Pyrrhus spawned army appeared?We didn't have any territorial losses have we????
    Also Sicily should be at her place in our thoughts,Senators,and that place is a far distant dream... Instead why don't we turn our men towards Arretium and the last Etruscan strongholds? We have defeated their men in battle,why don't we simply attack the last few defenders and capture this place?

-FOR THE REPUBLIC!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Because we only defeated the two besieging battalions, the main army has retreated to arretium

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Senators,

Yes sicily would be a great asset to our republic. But we connot invade yet.
    I still stand on getting trade rights with nations a greece and gaul.
    However.. disbanning the armies is not a good thought senators.. what if gaul decides we are not to rule over italy anymore?
    what if macedon decides to get revenge for their allies losses
    or Carthage?.. we have seen naval invasions before and with a reduced army that may be their time to strike.
    I will not support reducing the armies strength!

Roma Victor!
    ~Aqulia Decimus Cato

‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Consul's messenger enters the Curia hall. Without pausing for introduction, he pulls out a scroll from his travel pouch, and shouts

"These Being the Words of the Consul, Lucius Aurelius Lepidus"
    "Senators, we are in trouble. My worst fears have materialized. The leader of the Epriotes, Perikles, has brought a massive reinforcement army to break the siege on Croton and drive us back to Roma."

"When faced with these odds, I realized it would be incredible folly to risk our fortunes against this massive hoarde. Thus, I was unfortunatley forced to break the siege and retreat. Its not something I wanted to do, but I had to for the good of Rome."

"At the same time, I sent word to Tarentum to send me reinforcements. I realize you senators want two armies, but these odds are too great to risk it. I have combined the legions into a massive force, with the remnants holding Tarentum. We await the enemy, and from our position we will have the high ground."

"The enemy hoard is massive, easily twice the size of the original legions. Here is Perikles army:"

"Along with him, we will have to face down the garrison of Croton:"

"Something else that worries me, a Cartheginian army on a fleet, spotted south of the Harbor of Croton."

"Some good news, I have secured trading rights with the Greek Cities and the Kingdom of Macedonia."

"The odds are against us, Consript Fathers. I beleive it is time to open the doors to the temple of Iuppiter, and call for the public to pray and sacrifice for us. It is truly in the Gods' hands now"

"Consul Lucius Aurelius Lepidus"

The messenger finishes, and addresses the Senate himself.

"The Consul has briefed me fully on the situation, and has authorized me to answer any questions the Senatus may have."
    Last edited by Winter; November 22, 2007 at 11:50 AM.

Yes, we have to pray now! This army must not find its way to Rome. With this new Epirote force in the south, it is impossible to plan an invasion of the Etruscan lands in the north.

Now we face two dangers:

1- Pericles in the south with a huge army.

2- Extreme financial pressure

We will have to fight the invaders with the forces we have now since it is impossible to recruit some more. We must hope that the Carthaginian army will stay away from the shore too.

Other than waiting for the upcoming battle, is there anything we can do?
    --------------------
    Simon

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Senators,

all i have to say,
    we can take them..

We have been faced with these odds time and time again and roman courage a over come them every single time!
    Pray all you want but our warriors are hardened and know what happens if they fail.. Failure is not an option, Fight to the last man if you have to No Retreat, No Surrender!

Roma Victor!
    ~Aqulia Decimus Cato

‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

Egoilus's Avatar Civis
    Hmm can you tell me.. (me thinks me bit confused)

Well... pray, pray and keep our heads calms I belive
    Gaius Valerius Secundus Proud member of the Populares
    Palma ut Rome! , Ex Princeps Senatus, Ex Censor

Glory and Victory for Our Lord and Protector The Emperor of Harad!

sanada's Avatar Decanus

The odds are truly against us!

The future looks bleak indeed for the Republic...
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Egoilus's Avatar Civis
    Hmm can you tell me.. (me thinks me bit confused)

Well im looking forward to an Heroic Battle! (a Rome shall loose under 100 men and all Epirots will lay dead on the ground)
    Gaius Valerius Secundus Proud member of the Populares
    Palma ut Rome! , Ex Princeps Senatus, Ex Censor

Glory and Victory for Our Lord and Protector The Emperor of Harad!

Consul,please don't take offense on the question I have to ask; Do you think you can take on the Epirotes? Basically,that is without losing the entire army in the process... If yes then please do not linger outside enemy territory but attack our enemies. If you estimate you can't,I have two proposals for discussion in the senate:

a)Do we REALLY want to keep this war against the Epirotes going? Do we see profit from victory? I understand that most senators want this to end but I cannot see how are we going to prevail without much bloodshed against these odds. If the senate decrees that its right,I would say to seek a ceasefire,anything that can buy us some time to better organize ourselves.
    ooc:Remember that Pyrrhus lands yet again in Italy around 275BC.If we let them live,we will have to fight three grant armies instead of two,something that brings me to my alternative proposal...

b)If Consul Lepidus decrees that he can't do it,I propose we appoint a Dictator; Anyone from us,who has great experience on Imperator 2, to destroy these two armies,with the mission to capture Croton and then give command back to Consul Lepidus.

I know that many of you will be in an uproar about the Dictator proposal,but it was a rare practice of the Senate to appoint a Dictator when the situation looked grim...We are faced by one.What we decide is as always up to you...
    Last edited by Kritias; November 22, 2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: stupid keyboard... >:(

Salve conscriptii patres,

A grim prospect we face gentlemen, for we are at a fork in the road. Pyrrhus and his dogs must not live! Noble Regulus, saviour of our Res Publica outlines why...

Therefore we must await either our Consul's great triumph over them! Or the appointing of another who can.

sanada's Avatar Decanus

I would have to agree with Regulus, if Lepidus feels unwilling I would support appointing a dictator, however is such a thing covered in the Constitution?
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

ooc: Doh!I recalled last Senate aar where we had such a clause... No I don't remember adding it to the new constitution.But we can always add it though,if all senators agree to it...