Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Lepidus\Aquilinus.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Lepidus\Aquilinus.

I would agree to an alliance with the Carthies...They are in vicinity to city Croton and so they could help us during our assault of the city.... Let em fight the battle for us,if you get my point... However,I see no reason to trust these men;They have betrayed us before and will do so again,so I say ally with them but always keep em in front of us instead of our backs!

FOR THE REPUBLIC!!!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Then we shall put it to the vote.

Motion to negotiate an alliance with the Carthaginians

1 yea 0 nay

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Conscript Fathers,

First, I would like to congratulate Consul Lepidus for his great diplomatic effort!

However, I do not think that such an alliance would be useful. Here are my reasons:

1- We have to think about how the world will see Rome in the future. We will be at war with Carthage in a few years. Why? Sicily. We will eventually fight them in Sicily. What if we ally to them now, but that this alliance still stands when we are ready for the Sicilian war? We will be the ones breaking the alliance. Do we really want that? What if other nations decide not to trust the ROmans anymore because of that?

2- The Sons of Dido are or will be at war with the Epirotes and the Greeks. Either in southern Italy, or in Sicily. This will come. We don't need an alliance to get Carthage and Greeks to fight each other. We should let them do so and intervene when the moment is right for us.

Peace and trade rights are more than enough for now. But we must keep an eye on them. We never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Motion to negotiate an alliance with the Carthaginians

1 yea 1 nay
    merged double post-Winter
    Last edited by Winter; November 23, 2007 at 03:11 PM.
    --------------------
    Simon

Winter's Avatar Civitate

But, senator, if we secure a temporary alliance from them now, we can use them to aid us in taking Croton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    But, senator, if we secure a temporary alliance from them now, we can use them to aid us in taking Croton.
    This might be true, Senator. But is it really worth it? The Carthaginians may decide to attack Croton themselves. They may already be at war with the Greeks in Sicily and this is why they are now present in Italy. There is no need for an alliance if the goal is to get them to fight the Greeks...
    --------------------
    Simon

Yea to alliance with Carthage 2- nay 1
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

ooc: I think this motion should have been debated a little more before puting it to vote...
    --------------------
    Simon

Motion to ally with Carthage
    Yea 2 Nay 2
    I do not see the need for this motion, there is only a fools hope that Carthage will even send aid to us if allied, especially so shortly after a period of turmoil between our peoples! Whilst they may have been gently eased (coerced ) by Lepidus' agents into peace, their opinions of us, I suspect, have probably remained the same anyway.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I think that it should be debated more because it is a large matter.

I feel however, that it could be beneficial in the short term and allow us to their assitance against Epirus and then give us time to wrap up Italy before they betray us, which of course they will. They will do anything for a profit margin(a nation of Tesco. ARGH!!!!!!!!)
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

I am confident that the Carthaginians will be those that will spill first blood against us,Senator Cornelius Mera.We must use their numbers to help lower the casualties;Their armies are close to Croton,we can use them to take all the heat of the city's garrison.We will simply mop up the survivors and take the city for the Glory of Rome!This motion IS for the good of the Republic so I vote YEAH!

Yea 3 Nay 2

But what if the Carthaginians capture Croton before us? What if they don't allow the Romans in? We will have to attack them and spill the first blood. We will be the ones breaking the alliance...
    --------------------
    Simon

Senator,if we lay siege to the town first then Croton will be subjugated to the Republic of Rome.Now,if the Carthies go as far as claiming our town for theirs,it will be them to not honor a sacred alliance,not us....Thats the beauty of it!

I have seen good arguments from both sides Pleases senators wait before you cast your votes until we know the extent of the arguments.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

If the Senate decides to ally with Carthage with the only hidden goal of manipulating them and dishonoring Rome in the face of the world, I will have no choice but to accept it.

But I will remind myself that, at least, I voted against the motion.

*Gets up and leaves the curia with his bodyguards. But right before getting outside, he turns back and yells: "If the Tribune of the Plebs has common sense and honor, he will veto this motion!"*

ooc: Hehe, I should become an actor!
    Last edited by Simon; November 23, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    --------------------
    Simon

I fail to see how the Republic will be dishonored by this act;If we siege Croton and the Punic army comes to our aid,then let them fight the battle for us; we shall wait,maybe destroy a battalion or two and when the enemy is concentrated in beating the punics,we rush into the city and take the town square... Simple as that,we lose few men and gain city.The only way the Carthaginians could drive us out of the city would be to siege us after the fall of Croton.And then they would have declared war,not us....

ooc: Sorry I can't respond since my Senator is gone. But I will say that the Carthaginians will most likely siege us when they realise they have been fooled. This is why I mentioned honor...
    --------------------
    Simon

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Yea 3 Nay 3

I am against this proposal, alliances are sacred, they are a sacred bond between two people.
    Last edited by sanada; November 23, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

An alliance taken uder oath is a sacred bond of trust and pleded loyalty, not a tool of bartering to further one's own ambitions! Since what age has the children of the republic been bent toward such blasphemy!

Senators,please do not be stuck on the religious issue;The gods know that our intentions are pure,to save the lives of many Roman citizens and will get no offense on this act! The matter of Honor is indeed one of strong nature but remember; There is no dishonor when dealing with dishonorable men;and the Carthaginians are just that!A people without honor;why else do you think they value gold more than human lives?

*Cornelius Regulus sits down calmly and awaits the next reply...*

Much like th senate itself i am torn on this issue. My Reasoning tells me it needs to be done but my morals say otherwise. Therefore I abstain.

Yea 3 Nay 3 abstain

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.