Thread: Installation FAQ

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Installation FAQ

Feel free to post any questions about installing the mod in this thread.

--------------------------

Q. What is the best way to install Lands to Conquer 4.1?

A. Here are the steps you need to take:

1. If you have previous versions of Lands to Conquer installed, uninstall them or alternatively delete the landstoconquer folder in the Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War folder. Also delete the desktop shortcuts for the mod.

2. Download and install Lands to Conquer 4.0, it will automatically find the Medieval II Total War folder and so install the mod to it. If you have in any way changed your registry settings in regards to Medieval II Total War this could affect installation.

3. Download and install Lands to Conquer 4.1, it will automatically find the Medieval II Total War folder and so install the mod to it. If you have in any way changed your registry settings in regards to Medieval II Total War this could affect installation.

Q. Do you need to have Medieval II: Kingdoms installed for the mod to work?

YES

Q. My anti-virus is showing the file i downloaded as a virus, is this true?

The mod is not a virus, though some anti-virus programs do incorrectly flag it as such. Try and configure your anti-virus to allow you to access the file, or alternatively temporarily disable your anti-virus whilst trying to install the mod. This is risky and not recommended, if you do do this, try and disconect your computer from the internet first to try and minimise the risk to your PC.

Q. I'm having problems installing the mod with the Steam version of the game, can you help?

The mod should work with Steam if you launch it via the Medieval II Launcher, other than that I'm afraid cannot help as i do not have the Steam version of Kingdoms.

Q. I'm having problems installing and i have Vista, can you help?

I have XP not Vista so i'm unable to help you, though it is likely some of Vistas new security settings may be affecting installation.
    Last edited by Lusted; November 19, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Installation FAQ

if anyone gets it to install/work with the Steam version of Kingdoms, please post your info here.

thanks!

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

I know someone in the SS forum had got it to install with Steam without any problems.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

ok, thanks. I'll try to hunt down that info.

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

For those with Vista problems, disable UAC in your Windows Configuration. You'll also get a massive boost in performance. Also make sure it isn't in compatibility mode.

Unlimited Power!!!!!
    Well look at this here, a brewing free-for-all in Western Horn of Africa. What could possibly go wrong...

I'm going to install this mod after I finish playing vanilla (very soon), and I have a question or two.

Do I need to patch the game before installing this mod? if so, what patches?

Do I need to patch the game before installing this mod? if so, what patches?
    You will need to have Medieval II: Kingdoms installed to run the mod. It does not matter if Kingdoms is patched or not.
    Creator of:

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Okay im geussing this is a really retarded question but since i've only ever downloaded SS mod will this work as a seperate mod/game as SS, as in can I have both or do i need to delete SS first before i install?:hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    Okay im geussing this is a really retarded question but since i've only ever downloaded SS mod will this work as a seperate mod/game as SS, as in can I have both or do i need to delete SS first before i install?:hmmm:

"good" mods install themselves in separate folders, do not alter any original game files, and are launched with a little batch file that tells medieval/kingdoms.exe which config to use. ss and ltc are both "good" mods.

so no need to uninstall ss in order to play ltc.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

thank you eisenkopf, duely noted

How do i make this mod work with vista disab le the UAC, Whats is that ???

Can i install this mod if i have Medieval2 + Kingdoms 1.5? I haven't installed any other mod yet.

E: I mean do this work properly?

E2: There are already answered to my question.
    Last edited by Shadow wolf; April 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Does this mod make use of a separate data file or does it modify the original install of m2tw?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

The LTC doesn't modify the original install of m2tw.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I thought somewhere, it says that this mod 'gets rid of tutorial and grand campaign'??
    Can anybody make sure on this before I download it please?

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

This mod changes nothing in the existing installed game and mods on your computer. Anything that you are playing now, you will continue to be able to play. This mod does not include a tutorial. There is still a grand campaign with three differant era starts dates and a couple of scenarios.

I hope this helps. Have fun and enjoy!
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

milanista's Avatar Foederatus

I made it work with Steam, nothing magic at all, just did as I was told by the installer
    VAE VICTUS!

Marto's Avatar Semisalis

Icon5 Re: Installation FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by eisenkopf View Post
    "good" mods install themselves in separate folders, do not alter any original game files, and are launched with a little batch file that tells medieval/kingdoms.exe which config to use. ss and ltc are both "good" mods.

so no need to uninstall ss in order to play ltc.
    At the risk of asking a stupid question on the back of this one I have it the other way round. I've just won an LTC campaign but want to install SS and play that for a bit now.

I installed LTC in the default folder, as the installation instruction said: "The installer will automatically find your Medieval II: Kingdoms" but SS 6.1 will also look for that I think although it says it will look for: ".../SEGA/Medieval II Total War"

Am I going to hit problems? Should I just install SS into a blank folder location and run it from an 'exe' file in there....?

Thanks
    It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.

Plato

Old Geezer's Avatar Senator

I just installed LTC gold after installing Kingdoms and it will not load LTC, but gives me a notice that it has encountered an unspecified error. I installed it on a Qosmio running Windows 7. I never have had a problem with it loading and running on my XP computer. The path on the shortcut reads properly to the proper location. Any idea what is going on? Should I perhaps move the LTC folder to go under the mods and change the path of the shortcut? When I launch it from windows explorer then at least a screen comes on for a few seconds before it closes.

Also, I can not get the unpacker to run at all; it just blinks a black screen with some writing on it but I am too old and slow to read what it be sayin.