Thread: CTD help please

Default CTD help please

CTD during the ai's turn , I think while processing the Outlaw faction.

I'm playing Adunabar date 262 on vh/vh. I have 23 provinces and hammering Harad at present, Rk almost destroyed , Rhun is being beaten back, peace witht he other 2 factions. Oulaws I think only have three provinces , capital is that small province just to the west of that lake at the NE of the map.

I've tried replaying my mooves to no success and think the problem is an outlaw ai moove.

I have the save game if it of any use. I'd be happy to try anything else to track this down the devs might suggest.

I have had the occasional ctd before but replaying a slightly different moove always has allowed me to continue.

Default Re: CTD help please

Do u use patch 2.4? If yes, I have posted instructions so that players can temporarily fix themselves a trait bug, that causes CTD on ai turn, before the next patch is released.

If you have done that and the problem persist, upload your save-game, so we can have a look at it, please.

THanks for the reply, I edited the 2 triggers out (Trigger NaturalMilitarySkillAI_admiral_existing_2) etc. but no luck still got ctd

Are you sure you got the right traits? They dealt with the House of the Craban, ect, and I don't remember them having anything to do with Admirals.

Here is what you have to do:

Open bi/ci/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt. Find those two triggers.

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger fertile_tribe_of_the_craban_vnv_trigger
       WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition Trait TribeOfTheCraban >= 1

Affects Fertility  1  Chance  100

Code:
    Trigger fertile_tribe_of_the_mighty_axe_vnv_trigger
       WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition Trait TribeOfTheMightyAxe >= 1

Affects Fertility  1  Chance  100

Change the word "Fertility" to "Fertile".

Save and exit.
    That's it, you will be able to go on with your game as usual.

That worked thanks, om with your fantastic mod.!

BTW I had used a thread below to edit those other triggers thinkin ghtose were the ones.

I'm having the same problem. Is there a way to find those lines faster? If not, could you give me some idea of where they are in the speed bar?

Found it. Its just above 3/4ths of the way down. Tough to find because the "fertile" traits are spread over two(?) areas in the triggers.
    Last edited by Borluc; November 18, 2007 at 02:58 AM.

?? You can very easily press ctrl+f and copy-paste the trigger's name in the box... Needless to say, this fix will be in the coming patch.

Ok, instead of starting a new thread, I'll just tack this on here. I am now getting a CTD during an AI turn siege battle. Rhun is sieging me and the battle starts just fine like always. Midway through the battle, I get a CTD. This has happened twice now, yet I've never had a CTD during a battle so far in my campaign. Sounds like a bug.

I've attached my SAV file.

It seems to be related to the Rhovanion Rider mercs, but not all players have it. We are trying to pin it down and solve it. Disbanding the unit or auto-resolving would probably work for you, until we make the fix.
    Last edited by Aradan; November 22, 2007 at 07:17 AM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I have no CTD either in autoresolve or battlemap mode. However, one other person has reported a CTD (and Aradan now reports he has had it once) in which Rhovanion Riders were present. Did you at any time click on this merc unit? If so, it might possibly be related to your sound setup and the slightly irregular unit voice file attributes in 2.4 for this unit.

Download this file: http://files.filefront.com/4a+Rhov+R.../fileinfo.html

unzip it, and place it in the following folder:

..\bi\ci\data\sounds\Voice\Human\Localized\Battle_Map

It will overwrite the old file of that name.

Test unit in-game again. Please report if you have any more problems.

Thank you & apologies for this file not being corrected earlier - it was not until a few days ago that we were aware it could cause a problem on some sound setups.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Hehehe.

No need for apologies. If I had more time lately, I would have written a full review with every observation I've made so far. Its the least we, as players, can do.

Yes, I clicked those riders several times as I had them set up on the hill closer to the town center. My best chance was to repeatedly charge them down the hill, fall back, and repeat. I guess its worth mentioning that I micro-managed those same riders in a previous battle with no crash. I've noticed that the archers of the same region have the echo to their voice as well, although I've never had a crash with them.

As related to sound, the City Ballista shriek at me when I click them. hehe

I'll give an update when I try the fix.

EDIT* Well, the fix worked. I played the battle completely through with no problems. Thank you very much and take it easy on the walls.

Once I get a little farther, I'll write up something a little more comprehensive about my experiences. I'm not just playing because its Middle Earth; I actually really want a challenge. So, I think I'm pretty objective. One thing that I've noticed is that when retraining units like orcs and Olag-hai, some units seem to bypass the usual smith and grab some high-quality weapons. I had a unit of Olags with a gold sword and a few orcs with silver swords and/or shields.

I've said before that the battle AI is better in BI than any MTWII mod, and I still pretty much think so. As Adunabar, my units often match or beat enemies 1-1. I have Uruks (stam makes up for lesser stats) and numbers. Olag-hai are like tanks. Harad is so weak that they often retreat soon after a couple of their units get destroyed (they haven't sent one elephant my way ). I'm wary of Rohan because of riders, but I've cut into their territory enough to reduce their threat signifigantly. Rhun is a pain my butt because of the distance from my capital and my extensive use of orcs. Their armies are weak though. RK is powerful but their lack of expansion routes really makes them fade when they can't expand over Ostgiliath (sp). I'm allied with the incompetant Hillmen. They can't seem to do anything vs. Rohan.

I'm playing on medium battle and hard campaign. I might bump the battle up to hard as it seems like some enemies route too early. However, I'm not for prolonging the campaign by doing this or giving the AI huge amounts of money. The reason is that I win in the end, but it takes a lot longer and causes me frustration when my elite units get stopped by irregulars. Honestly guys, I wish you were all professional programmers so that you could just make your own great game. What I hear from modders over and over is that the AI could be so much better if more effort had been put forth.

The AI's biggest problem is that it doesn't judge battles right. Auto-resolve values? See, I think the difficulty should be the AI's reasoning. Harder would mean the AI judges with more caution and attacks en masse. All in all I think Fourth Age is easier than BI because the AI doesn't seem to consolidate and attack in specific regions. Harad sends army after army up the coast to attack me, but I destroy them one by one (they did just send one in my back door through Morder).

Anyway, thats just me ranting and speaking off the top of my head. I'm not criticizing, just giving my impressions.

Thanks again for the quick fix.
    Last edited by Borluc; November 22, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Alas, it is the perfectionist nature of FATW coders that they must bang their heads against walls, iron their fingers and other such House-elfish things

We look forward to your report.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

I second that! My head hurts a bit now... And I can barely type...

We definitely look forward to your report (and suggestions hopefully)!