Thread: Super Mario Galaxy

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy is the newest installment in the legendary Mario series. Most gamers know who Mario is, and have probably played or have seen somebody playing a Mario game, so I won't bother to explain much of the background. The story is pretty much the same as all Mario games, Princess Peach is abducted by Bowser, and you have to collect stars in order to save her.

Galaxy is a plat former, but does add a very unique twist to the formula. You see, the whole game takes place in space, and levels are basically star systems. You will have to travel from miniature planet to miniature planet (and sometimes other stuff) to get to the end of the level. All the planets are round, and your perspective will change in accordance. Much of Galaxy reminded me of the flash game Mindscape, by how it utilizes perspective in confusing you or for level design.

One of the more impressive things about Galaxy is the visuals, and thats saying something about a Wii game. The game looks fantastic, as you can see in these screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Trust me, this game looks even better in motion. The lighting effects are superb, and as usual, this Nintendo game just has a very vibrant feel to it. The music in Galaxy is great, there are remixes of all the classical Mario songs, as well as new ones thrown in. The sound effects are also great, and as you should on any Wii game, turn your Wiimote's speaker off, that thing sounds horrible.

If you noticed Mario looking like the Mexican Bumblebee from the Simpsons your probably wondering whats up. Galaxy features a new gameplay mechanic called "suits". Mario can put on different suits that effect gameplay in a certain way. for example, the Bee suit allows Mario to fly for brief periods of time, as long as he doesn't fall in water or take damage Mario will be able to use the suit as long as you like. I haven't progressed to far in the game yet, but I do know there are other suits.

Anyone remember Mario 64? Thats exactly what this game feels like, which is a very good thing. It is semi-free roaming, allowing you to decide what you do, if you want to do side quests, and the order you do things in. There are of course general guidelines to how you complete the game, but thats it.

Overall I have to say this game is a must own for Wii owners. There is no way your Library should not include this game. Galaxy will suck you right in, and you'll never want to stop playing. This game may be hard to find now, but it is worth it to at least try a few different stores to find.

Gameplay: 10/10

Graphics: 8/10

Sound: 9/10

Replay Value: 8/10

Overall Score: 9/10

Theres very few things Nintendo did wrong with this game. The only thing that bothers me (although this is a common Nintendo problem, not just Mario) is that the story isn't anything new. I still say this is probably the best Mario game of all time, no joke.

BTW I forgot to add that there is co-op in the game, sort of. It's kind of lame, but the second player can help you with their Wiimote, by being able to shoot, collect crystals, and help you jump, but don't actually have their own character during the game. It's quite helpful, but not very fun if your the second player.

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Super Mario Galaxy

Well I was rather set on buying this game.

and now you've just reaffirmed that. sounds good

EDIT: and now, slightly over 2 hours later, I have bought it.
    unfortunately I can't play it until tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ulf; November 13, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Good review for a good game, although I do not own it yet. It sounds like this will begin a whole new way of how platformer games are played. No longer will you have the boring run around and kill things style, with the Revolution (I don't much like the term "Wii") remote, you can do cool things in this, plus, it is great exercise for the arms.

I will buy this... I was going to anyway my first game was Super Mario 64... so i fell compelled to play this.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

And how does the controller/gamepad feel in this game?

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Boromir View Post
    And how does the controller/gamepad feel in this game?
    The Wii mote is used for shotting and collecting starbits, and is utilized in the mini games. It's also used for Mario's basic spin attack. The nunchuck oves. Overall I think the controls are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    The story is pretty much the same as all Mario games, Princess Peach is abducted by Bowser, and you have to collect stars in order to save her.
    What is it about Bowser that he has to be such a jerk to Peach all the time? He's like the bully at school who pulls girls' hair all the time because he doesn't know how else to express his feelings. His jailbird dad was probably never around, and his mom turns tricks to pay the bills. If he were actually molesting Peach then you'd think he'd get it out of his system after the first time rather than just keep on at it like this. You know what I think? I think Mario and Peach are the closest things Bowser has to friends, and this is the only he knows to relate to them,

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    If you noticed Mario looking like the Mexican Bumblebee from the Simpsons your probably wondering whats up. Galaxy features a new gameplay mechanic called "suits". Mario can put on different suits that effect gameplay in a certain way. for example, the Bee suit allows Mario to fly for brief periods of time, as long as he doesn't fall in water or take damage Mario will be able to use the suit as long as you like. I haven't progressed to far in the game yet, but I do know there are other suits.
    That isn't a new feature - Mario used to cross-dress as a racoon and a frog, if you remember.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

But while we're on the subject of Mario, I'd like to share something that a number of correspondents have drawn to my attention. If you look at the game title on the box art of Super Mario Galaxy, you'll notice that some of the letters have little orange sparkles on them:

See them? You'll notice there's one under the U and the R in the word 'SUPER'. And if you continue looking at which letters possess this mark, you'll also notice that when put together they create the God-forbid-I-call-it-a-phrase 'UR MR GAY', which can of course be interpreted as You Are Mister Gay.

It seems like I should be grown up about this and talk it down as a probable coincidence, since the designer of the logo was more than likely Japanese. But on the other hand, there's no real explanation for the stars being positioned like that except to covertly highlight the letters. I really don't know what to make of it. Huh. Doubtless now that it's on the internet the box will be re-released in a matter of nanoseconds, so check it out on your local copy of the game before Nintendo calls in the stormtroopers.
    Good ol Yahtzee