Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the campaign harder

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default Making the campaign harder

The problem with the vanilla campaign is that all the factions are "balanced" to some degree, so whichever faction the player chooses, especially if they are experienced, that faction will have an unfair advantage in the campaign. The difficulty settings go some way to mitigate this, but for some reason, even vh/vh campaigns seem ahistorically easy. Is their any way to give the player a bigger handicap, that wouldn't put people off playing?

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Making the campaign harder

Try playing EB for RTW. You may be crying for vanilla icecream.

got it mate, same comment applies, Kartadastim is way non protective of Carthago, third city I took from them, less than 20 years in (maybe just too aggressive). I'm not saying that the game isn't challenging, but the player can still advance at an unhistorical rate with ease, maybe the senate should be brought back? The nations in this game seem to be capable of faster conquests and raising armies more quickly( think of the Romans fighting Hannibal), Empire might give some interesting opportunities for you guys......can't wait...

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

try playing a saka campaign on vh/vh and then come back

Companion Cavalry's Avatar Ducenarius

Let me get this straight.. EB has already been created and here you

are making the exact same thing and exact same year only that it is based off

the MTW2 game engine? Is this some sort of joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil's Sergeant View Post
    Europeans have for centuries been the world's most accomplished racists
    Quote Originally Posted by Яome kb8 View Post
    Says the American?

we just can't be bothered to read anymore history books. Also, we thought the extra factions would be fun to do.

BUt yes al this is one great big joke, Or perhaps we just like wasting our time. You decide!

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Icon3 Re: Making the campaign harder

Quote Originally Posted by sirfiggin View Post
    got it mate, same comment applies, Kartadastim is way non protective of Carthago, third city I took from them, less than 20 years in (maybe just too aggressive). I'm not saying that the game isn't challenging, but the player can still advance at an unhistorical rate with ease, maybe the senate should be brought back? The nations in this game seem to be capable of faster conquests and raising armies more quickly( think of the Romans fighting Hannibal), Empire might give some interesting opportunities for you guys......can't wait...
    The EB team already gave the player several handicaps (delayed recruitment, strenghtened garrisons, financial help for the A.I.), but I am afraid there is little that can be done to compensate for A.I. stupidity. Hopefully M2:TW features beter strategic A.I., but in the meantime it's recommended you play with self-imposed houserules to give the A.I. a chance. Not blitzing the A.I. immediatly can lead to some satisfying and challenging battles lateron.

Quote Originally Posted by Companion Cavalry View Post
    Let me get this straight.. EB has already been created and here you are making the exact same thing and exact same year only that it is based off the MTW2 game engine? Is this some sort of joke?
    "Only based of the MTW2 game engine"? Wouldn't you want the best R:TW mod to be upgraded with all the improvements of the latest TW engine?

Having the EB on MTW 2 will rock, with all you did with the limits of Rome, just imagine......... heh heh heh........ maybe all the little states you wanted to represent could be in it, now?

Okay so what extra options would MTW2 give?

More factions? More diversity in battle options?
    Says the American?

gives us something to do. We've pretty much reached the limits of what the RTW engine can do. And we are all quite quite bored.

Oh, and religion kicks arse in Kingdoms now. Plus permanent forts for minor cities. More models means less model sharing. Fantastic new scripting oppurtunities with counters. All this great stuff that you, the player, would miss out on if we didn't move to Kingdoms.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

for the new options opened by Medieval, are you sticking to the cities only model in Rome, or planning on using the two settlement type system? While castles were not as important in the ancient world, would the split between economic and military installations be worth implementing?

Great idea, sirfiggin! How about katoike military bases for the successors in the
    east and whatever name other factions gave to military bases everywhere else?

They should have more limited economy but be able to train soldiers of a wide variety. Elsewhere in cities
    very limited soldiers should be available but much better trading. This way, capturing and converting enemy
    military bases to your cause would be a top priority.
    Says the American?

Thank you Companion Cavalry, what do think about the defensive capabilities? Does anyone know what sort of fortified settlements existed at this time (these katoikes sound interesting, what were they?)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Voyager View Post
    Try playing EB for RTW. You may be crying for vanilla icecream.
    Exactly. My complaint was against the vanilla game, EB is deceptively hard. Example, the underaggressive Karthadast I mentioned? Yeah, they just came out of nowhere with a 3/4 stack and have taken Siga, the next coastal town along is know under seige and the legion (polybian, the lot of them) have just landed in Carthage, the 2nd Punic War has begun.......

Sounds like FUN!

hardly, can't the ****in' Karthadast DIE!!!!!!!!! (coughs) Well,.........anyway.....gonna be fun when that smug pheonician (sinc) general sees my new legion on the horizon......hah.

Quote Originally Posted by sirfiggin View Post
    Thank you Companion Cavalry, what do think about the defensive capabilities? Does anyone know what sort of fortified settlements existed at this time (these katoikes sound interesting, what were they?)
    Defensive qualities? I'd say the katoike would be less defended, they are primarily bases to get soldiers, not to defend.
    Katoikes are military settlements in the successor kingdoms where descendants of the makedonians and greeks of alexander's
    army live as retired soldiers and raise new soldiers, which is the primary use of the settlements.

They are not as much like a city but are more like huge camps; the defenses should not be altogether that powerful. Cities
    had resources so most could afford to build good walls while katoike usually had a wooden wall or stockade
    Says the American?

so EB's castles if they use them) should have poorer defenses but very good recruitment capabilities?

Yes Sirfiggin, but I hope the EB team does not make cities and castles
    able to be converted one to another, but be fixed at the beginning of the campaign
    Says the American?

Why? The point of the game is to give a realistic starting position than let you change history. Otherwise it should stop you from gaining any territory a certain faction you play as never had.

But I do think the conversion should be expensive...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast