Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you civilized?

IMHO Civ3 is one of the best games i have ever played.What are your comments and opinion.

Originally posted by stalhandske@Jan 20 2004, 09:29 PM
    IMHO Civ3 is one of the best games i have ever played.What are your comments and opinion.
    Here here, i refrain from palyign because its too addictive, Last year, me and my roomate would square off, spain v norway ( he's norweigan) and play for a week, seein gwho , under similar circumstances, would do better ! Blasted, he always won! Its like crack to him....
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Yes,it is very addictive game.You think that i take just one turn more and then you realise that you have been playing 4 hours.Happened to me.After that i always keep clock in sight when i am playing.
    Fortunately i also got a wife who wakes me up if playing session goes to marathon lenght.

Civitate

It is a very good game however I find that the a.i. constantly is cheating when I attack I have a higher percent chance to win however he wins almost all the time. this is only with a few units.

I even calculate the attack and defence/city/terrain factor.

The coolest thing about civ 3 is the resource thing, I loved it. It truly sponsored some wars. (what no saltpeper on my lands, here you *insert civ here*, take this volley of hot lead

But I think the pinnacle of the Civ franchise was Alpha Centauri. Think of it as civ-in-space if you will, but being a fan of both sf and civ I fell in love with it. And it feels so -- polished -- it's a game which has lots of strong qualities to it.

For those of you who doesn't know the game (is there anybody who doesn't know it)? It is designed by Sid Meier's too and all the civ elements are there, but dressed in another fashion: wonders of the world became secret projects, "swords -> guns -> nukes" tech tree became "lasers -> disruptors -> planet busters"

most of all, I love the way the factions pursue an agenda. If you use, say, planned economics, that is sure to bring you in conflict with the morganites in the long run (if they are in the game), because they pursue a free-market. But that's not to say you cannot forge aliances with them if it feels advantageous to both.

the ability to make custom units (sort of MOO-like but not that cool) and the storyline are damn good too. I own both Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire (the expansion pack).

Civ 3 on the other hand I borrowed from a friend and was addicted at first but then my interest died down, I don't really know why, but it doesn't feel as well-polished as it's predecessor (alpha centauri). So I ended up never buying Civ 3. As for alpha-centauri I still play it from time to time and love it every time.
    Só pra deixar esses gringos curiosos se perguntando que diabos eu escrevi aqui!

Trobalov's Avatar Greek Pride

I have only tried the first 2 of the Civilization series and I can say they were good but, as most of you mentioned very addictive and time wasting...

Life is like Chess, once you make a move you can't take it back.

I played almost all games that the brilliant mind of Sid Meyer spawned, mythical games (to me at least) like Civ I, Civ II and Civ III, Colonization, Alpha Centauri, and more.
    Today I simply can´t play Civ III because faced with so many diferent strategy games, Civ III seems to fade away.
    Anyway, it still is one of the best all-round strategy games ever.

Cheers
    浪人 - 二天一

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Played Civ II few years ago, didn`t really like it, but could not stop playing nevertheless. It is really addictive.
    Alpha Centauri was much better and ruined my life for months.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

I've played them all - Civ I,II,III, Alpha, Colonization. That Sid Meyer really has a magic touch.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

I have all the civs but not alpha and they have ruined my social life on more than occasion
    Under the patronage of Boripavlovgrozny.
    Member of BWT.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Ah, I just recently experienced Civ for the first time with Civilization 3! I quickly bought conquests, and, as may be expected, I have been playing "The Rise of Rome" campaign!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

no offense to the people that like it but i have to say its not a verty good game compared to the RTSs by esemble studios eg age of empires and age of mythology it sucks big time! the only thing that i really like is that you can interact with the clan leader!!! i like annoying them
    Baron Lokimus -

Owner of TWC Productions and War Club; The Highly Anticipated Upcoming Movie of TWC.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Ermm... It's not an RTS.
    It's a turn based strategy game!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

I second (or seventh...whatever) the votes on the Civ series and Alpha Centauri, although the expansion pack for Civ III was a disappointment. I thought Alpha was somewhat slanted towards supporting the alien ecology, though. I never could get the hang of the rapacious Morganites. Sid's Civil War series was good fun, too, though I can beat them regularly because they are pretty much set battles.

Speaking of Sid Meier games, a new Railroad Tycoon is supposed to come out soon. Anybody played RR Tycoon I or II? I enjoyed them quite a bit--and in these two games, you can leave the pause button off if you're an RTS freak.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Railroad Tycoon was the first PC game I ever played
    oh sweet memories

edit: actually it seems that I confused Railroad and Transport Tycoons, Transport Tycoon was the first computer game I played.

Eothain's Avatar woo

Railroad Tycoon 3 is out. Looks really good.

My first game was probably Sim City or Transport Tycoon (Yes, the game that started every single Tycoon game). And yes I have played Civilization 2 and 3 both of which are quite good. However, there are numerous things that Civ 2 has which is better than Civ 3. Firstly, scenerios. They are just so important and usefull, fun and majorilly increase the longevity of the game. It was especially good that you could choose the side you play in the scenerio (though something Tommasar said leads me to believe scenerios may be in either the Play the World expansion pack or the otherone... the conquers?) Secondly, decent wonder movies. Honestly, seeing a computer generated image of something I built with a twinckling sound in the background hardly compares to the greatness of some of the wonders froms Civ 2 (some I just built for the videos: Adam Smith's Trade Co, Leonardo's Workshop, Marco's Embassy) which had good music (on Civ Call to Power, they arn't like video clips really (well they sort of are but in a different format to the Civ 2 ones so it wouldn't like be like video footage of something) but does (unlike civ 3) have music. However, Civ 3 does have a few advanatages such as the resources which does somewhat make things more interesting (declaring war on people as they have plentifull oil for instance).
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

I thought Alpha was somewhat slanted towards supporting the alien ecology, though.
    You got a problem with that? B)

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@Jan 22 2004, 01:42 AM
    I thought Alpha was somewhat slanted towards supporting the alien ecology, though.
    You got a problem with that? B)
    Yes! Because when God created the Earth, He gave Man dominion over all the animals, plants, and mindworms....oh, er, hmmm...

Cobra's Avatar Earl of Boof

I like Civ III, it suffers the same plauge that the whole series did though, the units aren't greatly balanced. I've had a couple of, whats after riflemen? is it a machine gunner?
    Been beaten by a warrior, with out defense help or a elite or anything. Bah.

Ya, that's my big complaint about the Civ games, too--even more than the AI cheating. As the British proved in Africa, there ain't no way a group of spearmen, no matter how elite, are gonna sink your gunboat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast