Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: culture penalty and unrest

Default culture penalty and unrest

I guess most of my cities far from Rome are being affected by these two factors (as well as growth rates of 7% in some places) and its making pacifying the people quite difficult.

But a few questions, first of all, what determines unrest? I see a few cities on the map (rtrpe 1.9 map), Carthago Nova and Tylis for example have pretty high unrest, upwards of around 45% or so. As the years go by, does unrest naturally decrease or am I forced to deal with it forever?

Also, on the topic of the culture penalty, this one seems to be a weird for me, basically the instant naturalization of a foreign city once you take control of it. So I capture... Carthago for example and I'm hit with a 45% culture penalty or whatever.. the citizens are (in my mind) still the original carthaginian people and all their buildings are still carthaginian.. so why does the culture penalty exist? Did these people automatically become roman and now hate everything thats not roman? It seems to me to be totally random this culture penalty. I captured Alexandria during a roman campaign, and there was 0% culture penalty, even though they had the equivalent of a roman imperial palace built there whereas I captured other smaller towns and the culture penalty was much higher? and I guess the only way to get rid of the culture penalty is to destroy evrey possible building and rebuild

any thoughts?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: culture penalty and unrest

Quote Originally Posted by malfuriouspete View Post
    I guess most of my cities far from Rome are being affected by these two factors (as well as growth rates of 7% in some places) and its making pacifying the people quite difficult.
    It's mostly because of distance to capital penalty.

But a few questions, first of all, what determines unrest? I see a few cities on the map (rtrpe 1.9 map), Carthago Nova and Tylis for example have pretty high unrest, upwards of around 45% or so. As the years go by, does unrest naturally decrease or am I forced to deal with it forever?
    Quite a few. Distance to capital, foreign culture etc. When you capture Carthago, for example you need to :

a) upgrade the existing buildings (if possible) to your own so that it will becase your culture.

b) if not possible then to destroy the building and replace it with your own from the start.

Also, on the topic of the culture penalty, this one seems to be a weird for me, basically the instant naturalization of a foreign city once you take control of it. So I capture... Carthago for example and I'm hit with a 45% culture penalty or whatever.. the citizens are (in my mind) still the original carthaginian people and all their buildings are still carthaginian.. so why does the culture penalty exist? Did these people automatically become roman and now hate everything thats not roman? It seems to me to be totally random this culture penalty. I captured Alexandria during a roman campaign, and there was 0% culture penalty, even though they had the equivalent of a roman imperial palace built there whereas I captured other smaller towns and the culture penalty was much higher? and I guess the only way to get rid of the culture penalty is to destroy evrey possible building and rebuild

any thoughts?
    Carthage have punic/carthage culture base if I emember correctly, while Alexandria have Greek culture base which is similiar to roman (in game term) so there's not much culture penalty when conquering greek culture rather than barbarian , eastern or carthaginian culture.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

A population boom actually adds to law. However a high population doesn't.

You need to differentiate between "Unrest" and "Public Order." One affects the other, though people often use the two interchangeably.

Public Order is negatively affected by several things:
    1. Squalor. Can't really be helped except by upgrading your government building.
    2. Distance to Capital. Obvious cause, obvious fix.
    3. No governor/no garrison. Duh.
    4. Culture Penalty. Proportion of foreign culture buildings in relation to the number of native culture buildings. Government buildings contribute a larger amount of Culture Penalty.
    5. Unrest. This is the little burning icon on the settlement details scroll, which is what I suspect the OP is specifically referring to. This is caused by things like enemy spies and governor traits. There is also a few other things that a few mods do that somehow trigger a "permanent" Unrest level. I honestly do not know what causes this, and my enquiries and experiments have yielded no results so far.

So if you're getting high levels of Unrest, train lots of spies and double check your governor's traits. If these don't work, then it's part of that "mystery Unrest" that I have mentioned above.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cheexsta View Post
    1. Squalor. Can't really be helped except by upgrading your government building.
    I believe sewers and its upgrades are for combatting squalor, aren't they?

if there is no governor in your city, try switching the governing policy (balanced, financial, cultural, growth build, military), and then back to the one you want. often (about 30-40% of the cases in my experience) that generates an order boost, often up to 20%. I guess it makes citizens realize how good they actually have it under your beneficial rule, the ungrateful bastards.

when you do have a governor, try to move him out of the city. it's possible that your citizens think he's an *rse (~bad traits). often a city is happier without its governor.

I believe sewers and its upgrades are for combatting squalor, aren't they?
    Not as far as I'm aware. Sewers only affect Public Health, which increases population growth and gives a small bonus to Public Order. It doesn't directly affect Squalor, but its order bonus may offset it slightly.

if there is no governor in your city, try switching the governing policy (balanced, financial, cultural, growth build, military), and then back to the one you want. often (about 30-40% of the cases in my experience) that generates an order boost, often up to 20%. I guess it makes citizens realize how good they actually have it under your beneficial rule, the ungrateful bastards.
    Alternatively, you could just turn off automanagement (Menu -> Game Options -> Manage All Settlements).

well squalor is there forever, there is no way around it besides removing your troops, letting the city rebel, recapturing and exterminating the population and start over again.

I think I agree with LestaT's first post about similar cultures. My captured Ptolemaic and Seleucid cities have somewhat low culture penalties while cities I captured from Pontus in asia minor are high, in the region of 45% with ever increasing populations.

Does a spy help reduce unrest in my cities?

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

AFAIK, no. But it helps to detect enemy agents and so prevents INCREASING unrest in your cities.
    RTR VII Team member/Sarmatae archaeologist

Quote Originally Posted by Orthanner View Post
    AFAIK, no. But it helps to detect enemy agents and so prevents INCREASING unrest in your cities.
    Or possibly reduce it if there is allready an enemy spy there.

I'm destroying all or replacing it with my own buildings but it's remaining the square building (who fix the CTD bug)...then is impossible to exterminate all culture penalty and resulting that is inutile to spend money for replacing??

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Imortal View Post
    I'm destroying all or replacing it with my own buildings but it's remaining the square building (who fix the CTD bug)...then is impossible to exterminate all culture penalty and resulting that is inutile to spend money for replacing??
    Which square building - does it have a name? Some buildings cannot be destroyed (the main 'government' building, roads and I think farms). The only thing that can be done with the main 'government' building is to increase the population of the settlement until the next level is reached. Note: if you are at the highest level then this isn't possible.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I think he is talking about the "Town Square" building which is used to recruit rebel units to prevent a CTD.

I think this building does provide some culture penalty because some are listed in brackets as barbarian, eastern, greek, etc..

any thoughts?

wel from wat i know personally, culture penalty mainly caused by wat u conquered...wat i mean is, as u take the settlement, for example Carthage Nova. It belongs to the Gauls previously and as u take over e settlement aft winning e battle of seigeing the settlement, buildings thats belongs to the Gauls previously are built thr and thus ur citizens aren't happy wif it... best to destroy SHRINES, TEMPLES and rebuild them wif urs... i saw e extreme changes wif e public order... i mean, u wont wanna hav a temple or shrine that doesnt belong to ur culture or citizenship right?

its important to destroy shrines and temples... e remaining culture penalty are caused by undestroyable buildings...once destroyed and rebuilt thrs a great difference in e culture penalty

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Why are we replying to a 3-year-old thread?
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Royale's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    Why are we replying to a 3-year-old thread?
    Because someone might be reading this thread two years later.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

This should be in RTR 6 / RTR PE thread. Not relevant to RTRVII anymore but might help anyone still playing 8 years old mod.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I can't believe this post came back 5 years after I wrote this
    I haven't played this game since 2008.. until recently when I reinstalled it on my machine and giving RTRPE 1.9 a go.. haha, great memories for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast