Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 58BC: The Legions Preview!

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

Icon6 58BC: The Legions Preview!

Hello folks! here is another preview from the FRRE team!
    We are introducing the mighty legions themselves. Here are some of them...

Legio XI
    Description:
    Legio XI is formed during 58 in the face of the threat posed by the Helvetii, first seeing action at Bibracte. It serves throughout the Bellum Gallicum and later fights at Ilerda, Dyrrhachium, and Pharsalus during the Bellum Civile. Legio XI is discharged in 46-45 along with the other Gallic legions. Some of its veterans may have been settled as colonist at Bovianum in Samnium. Octavius possibly re-constitutes Legio XI although the details are uncertain and he may have simply formed a new Legio XI in 41 without recalling any evocati to the ranks. Whatever its provenance a Legio XI serves during the Actium campaign before land grants at Ateste in northern Italy are made to the Legionarii. This unit is courtesy of Limes

Legio V
    Description:
    Legio V is formed in 52 most likely from a cadre of Transpadani auxilia mustered during the crisis months of Vercingetorix’s Great Revolt. This might explain the Celtic inspired epithet Alaudae, or Larks. Despite beginning life as an irregular unit Legio V forges a tough battlefield reputation, serving in Hispania and at Dyrrhachium. Following its success charging against elephants at Thapsus Legio V is awarded an elephant emblem in 46. Its Legionarii also participate in the climatic battle of the Bellum Civile at Munda. Legio V subsequently serves with M. Antonius at Philippi and during his ill-fated Parthian campaign. After Antonius’ defeat at Actium the Alaudae is incorporated into the army of Octavius. Legio V was also known Alaudae. This unit is courtesy of Limes

Legio XIII
    Description:

Legio XIII is formed in 57 and participates in the brutal campaign against the Belgae tribes. At Gergovia its Legionarii receive a bloody nose before the great victory at Alesia. Legio XIII crosses the Rubico with Caesar in 49, and is present at Dyrrhachium. Whilst awaiting discharge in Italy the men of the XIII are ordered to Africa to reinforce Caesar’s original inexperienced force and likely forms part of the left wing at Thapsus. Veterans are subsequently settled at Hispellum in Umbria. Although there are references to a Legio XIII fighting for Octavius after 41 it is unclear whether it is a new formation or a direct descendant of Caesar’s veteran unit containing a cadre of grizzled evocati. This unit is courtesy of King Louise Assurbanipal

Legio XXVIII
    Description:
    Legio XXVIII is formed by Caesar during 49 as part of the massive mobilisation of manpower necessitated by the Bellum Civile. Its Legionarii first see active service in Hispania before being deployed on campaign in Africa, fighting at Ruspina. It is conjectured that Legio XXVIII is also present during the climatic battle of the Bellum Civile at Munda. Octavius incorporates the men of the XVIII into his army and they fight for the Triumviri at Philippi where veterans of the legion are subsequently settled as colonists. This unit is courtesy of Limes

Legio Italia Prima
    Description:
    At the beginning of 49 Pompeius Magnus has under his command in Italy only the two legions (I and XV, the latter now renumbered III) which Caesar has sent for the Parthian war. He has authority to raise 130,000 men in Italy but the speed of Caesar’s advance prevents him from forming more than three new legions. After crossing the Mare Superum the new legions are supplemented by Italian settlers living in Greece and Epirus and are present at Dyrrachium and Pharsalus. After the disaster at Pharsalus the survivors are either pensioned off or incorporated into the three or four new legions formed by Caesar. This unit is courtesy of Ferres

On the next preview we will feature the most powerful of the Belgae tribes, the Nervii
    Last edited by Empedocles; November 12, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

New version of all 77BC and 58BC can be found HERE

Default Re: 58BC: The Legions Preview!

Legio V was also known as Gemina and Alaudae
    Hey Emp!

We have a rougue final sentence in the unit description. Not sure where this came from but to the best of my knowledge Legio V was never known as Gemina....

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Is it just the angle of the first pic or do the units look smaller than the officers? Aside from that, really cool units.

it's just the angle of the pic.

Buc, I have corrected the typo.
    regards

Will you be including the X ? IIRC, they were Caesar's best legion.

Of course! In my campaing they were present in almost every battle!
    They will be the ones to face the Helvetii migration under your command,.
    We just didnˇ't previewed them here.

wow that will be so cool, im just reading about that in the Emperor books by Conn Iggulden.

which is the main reason for me looking at ROME based mods again.
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

That is a good series

The units look sweet!
    SACERPATERDUXMIHI

EGOSUMALEXANDROS

Why the thread revival?

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

magic...

Lol.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Icon8 Re: 58BC: The Legions Preview!

What about ht efamous 10th (X) Legion!? They were Caesars Elite Spanish Legion!

They have an entire book about them (Caesar's Legion:
    The Epic Saga of Julius Caesars Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome)

Great book by the way!
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.
    ‘Strategy is the art of making use of Time and Space,’ wrote the Emperor”

-from the Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler, Pages 161-162

they are in, of course. I dare you to finish 58BC and still have more than a full cohort of the X legion around

They have an entire book about them (Caesar's Legion:
    The Epic Saga of Julius Caesars Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome)

Great book by the way
    At the risk of coming over as somebody possessing an over-inflated sense of their own historical knowledge, who is determined to impugn the good name of a published author, I feel obliged to reproduce my earlier post on the same subject:

However I feel obliged to point out that Dando-Collins should be approached with no little caution.

Whilst his writing style is certainly at the ‘exciting’ end of the spectrum the work as a whole is poorly footnoted and prone to portraying conjecture and speculation as absolute historical fact.

For example Dando-Collins would have the reader believe in the Spanish antecedents of Legio X. However the exact details of when and where this legion was raised cannot be stated with any certainty. It is more accurate to simply say that Legio X was established in 59 or earlier.

....he (i.e. Caesar) was appointed governor of both Cisalpine and Transalpine Gaul for five years, with the command of four legions.

App BC ii. 13

Thus it was that the multitude granted him the government of Illyricum and of Cisalpine Gaul with three legions for five years, while the senate entrusted him in addition with Transalpine Gaul and another legion.

Dio xxxviii. 8.5

See also BG i.7 and i.10

There were 15 legions in service in 59 BCE (See Table XIV P A Brunt Italian Manpower). The sources do not break down the deployment of these legions by individual number. However it is generally reckoned that Caesar inherited the VII, VIII, IX and X; described as ‘four veteran legions’ during the battle at Bibracte (BG i.24)

According to Brunt the VII, VIII and IX most probably served under Q. Metellus Celer during the Bellum Catilinae i.e.

Quintus Metellus Celer, however, was stationed in Picenum with three legions

Sall. Cat. 57.2

These are clearly the three veteran legions Caesar found in Cisalpina in 58

Brunt: Italian Manpower

Brunt goes on to argue the X was most probably stationed in the Transalpina in 59

The sources indicate the antecedents of the Transalpina legion date back to 64 when the propraetor L. Murena held a levy in Umbria on the way to his province.

But still Lucius Murena's conduct in his province procured him the affection of many influential men, and a great accession of reputation. On his road he held a levy of troops in Umbria.

Cic. Mur. 42

According to Brunt this legion will have subsequently served under C. Pomptinus praetor of 63, who crushed the Allobrogic revolt in 62-61

Praetor Gaius Pomptinus subdued the rebellious Allobrogians near Solo.

Liv. Per. 102a

The potentially spurious Spanish origins ascribed to the X by Dando-Collins rest on Plutarch:

At any rate, as soon as he reached Spain he set himself to work, and in a few days raised ten cohorts in addition to the twenty which were there before. Then he led his army against the Callaici and Lusitani, overpowered them, and marched on as far as the outer sea, subduing their tribes which before were not obedient to Rome

Plut. Caes 12.1

However it is unlikely the ten cohorts mentioned here comprised the X. It is more probable these cohorts were raised from locally settled Romans and natives in order to form an irregular legio vernacula. This force was then deployed to supplement the regular garrison of Ulterior in its campaign against the Callaici and Lusitani.

Of course one might make a case using Plutarch to posit the X began its life as a legio vernacula, before being esablished on a more 'regular' footing, as subsequently occurred with Legio V. Unfortunately though Dando-Collins fails to explore the alternative, possibly more plausible evidence posted above, in an effort arrive at a more balanced conclusion.
    Hope you enjoy the Mod

buc, you always take away the fun of reading books....

I Like the Idea of the Tenth being formed in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Empedocles View Post
    buc, you always take away the fun of reading books....
    Yeah, I remember how much I enjoyed that book and how proud I felt of my Spanish ancestors being the core of one of the best military units in World History. I even made the description of the unit quoting Dando-Collins. And then came Bucellarii...

And since then I have left unit describing to him

This mod sounded most interesting between these three mod of FRRE, so im installing it right now, cant wait to be Caesar!
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Yeah, I remember how much I enjoyed that book and how proud I felt of my Spanish ancestors being the core of one of the best military units in World History. I even made the description of the unit quoting Dando-Collins. And then came Bucellarii...

And since then I have left unit describing to him
    jajjajajjaja

we should get rid of him and give Caesar a lightsabre! I told you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast