Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Regulus\Corvinus.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia,Consulate of Regulus\Corvinus.

Cato Stands Angered

Ave Lucius Sextus Drusus

So yor basicly saying.. cause unesseccary causlties in the north, Be that much closer to those galic peasents and be flanked by phyruss.

Your plan would destroy the republic we must act fast and swiftly so that the enemy doesent have any time to react.. Not sit there like helpless puppies and hope for the best senator. strike first or you will be the first struck senator..

-Aqulia Decimus Cato
    Last edited by 68 Powers; November 10, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
    ‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Senator Drusus,were we to march to the North wouldn't cost us men? And what if at the same time our men are fighting to further the Republic,we are cowardly attacked by the Epirotes from the South?
    I find great sense in your thought though because it will be in our best interests to wait the Epirotes make the first move...They could lose a great deal of men fighting their way through to Ager Romanus while we discuss how are we to destroy them best!
    I agree in the notion to wait!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Very well I will admit that a campaign in the north is unnecessary but what your suggesting senator Aqulia Decimus Catois similar only it is to expand to the south. In ether case we leave ourselves overexposed.
    Last edited by EmperorCharles; November 10, 2007 at 04:17 PM.

Lucius Sextus Drusus, Patriciate.

Exposed? The free cities won't attack Roma AND they protect us from the gallic tribes.
    The Crazy Finn

"Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army. I raise my toast to the Finnish Army."

J. Stalin 1948

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Lucius Sextus Drusus,

Id rather have the sea as my flank than the Po Vally and whatever land may lay beyond that my freind. South is where we must go to protect rome and its citizens.

-Aqulia Decimus Cato
    ‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

About garrison duties we should create a legion in Roma and then if need be we can use the garrison to reinforce the legions in the field.
    So votes are
    yea 6 - 0
    Yea 6 - 0

and the Free Cities will attack our cities make no mistake about that. give them an opitunity and they'll take it
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

I was referring to taking those free cities when I said over extended.(taking them would leave us overextended.)

Pyrrhus is a cunning beast, and he will not lose much sleep in capturing Corfinium! He will incur light losses in his conquest there. I agree that we should wait, I merely highlight that relying on the samnites acting as a "buffer state" will be a rather short-lived affectation. Thus we must be ready to thwart the Epirotes piece-meal, lest the dogs out-manoevre the 1st Itallica on the coast and their heels be snapped at by Pyrrhus and his puppet Phaidon.

For it is as Tribunes Metellus puts it, "Divide et impera!"

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Senatores Romani, I promise you in these most sacred of halls that I shall do my duty as Consul of the Res Publica and that I will do my best to bring glory to the Republic. Thank you for choosing me to help lead our fine nation!

Anyway...

Motion A) Increase taxes in all settlements to high

Yea 7 Nay 0

Motion B) Allow the recruitment of additional garrisons and/or reinforcements

Yea 7 Nay 0

I agree with these motions as we are at war. We will need many honorable men and much money to defeat Pyrrhus and his dogs.

Senator Drusus, going north and wasting Roman lives is useless and foolish. We have Pyrrhus and his lackies, the Tarentine nobles, Samnites, Elephants, and more to worry about. We have limited men, and they should be used to combat Pyrrhus. Would you want to die knowing that Rome is safe of that Greek tyrant, or would you rather die knowing that innocent Northerners were slaughtered and that Pyrrhus and his host were at our gates?

I do, however, think that we should wait for Pyrrhus to engage us. His men will die by free Italic soldiers, and we will only have to worry about defeating whatever's left of his army.
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; November 10, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Senators,let us stick to the matter at hand!What is to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxinius Scipio View Post
    Senator Drusus, going north and wasting Roman lives is useless and foolish. We have Pyrrhus and his lackies, the Tarentine nobles, Samnites, Elephants, and more to worry about. We have limited men, and they should be used to combat Pyrrhus. Would you want die knowing that Rome is safe of that Greek tyrant, or would you rather die knowing that innocent Northerners were slaughtered and that Pyrrhus and his host were at our gates?
    I have already admitted that that was an err in judgment and no longer support the idea myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs Gracchvs View Post
    Senators,let us stick to the matter at hand!What is to be done?
    Advance south and divide et impera.
    The Crazy Finn

"Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army. I raise my toast to the Finnish Army."

J. Stalin 1948

Senators,close to Capua there is an Epirot fort(the army under commander Priam).I would suggest assaulting it to secure one way into the Republic,Pyrrhus could use to surprise us,while their main army is besieging Corfinium or Paestum(whichever they are going to attack first).Also I would like permition to spend the emergency funds(all 20,000 denarii during first turn)so that we can recruit and build as many as possible until we go broke(something for sure playing Imperator II).What do you think?

Consul Regulus, I agree with both of your proposals. However, are we going to spend some of the money on buildings or just spend it all on troops? Maybe some traders' shops and ports will help us out in the long run. We don't want to be very, very heavily in debt, after all.

Also, I was thinking that we send the 1st legion to assault the fort in Campania. (The 2nd legion is busy patrolling the northern border, and we don't have enough troops to guard the border in their place yet.) And even though there will be an empty path that Pyrrhus can use to attack Ancona, Corfinium blocks his path and I doubt he's an expert on our land.
    Praetorio Italiae

I considered building either a portus in Rome and a market in Capua or one from these and walls around Ancona,Corvinus.As for the Legions,I would like best to be given command of both consular armies to crush the epirotes rather than Legio I alone;In any case the northern border are dead quiet and they won't need the protection of an entire army,would it?We can instead garrison the fort with some of the fresh recruits...

while most of the money should be spent on troops, I feel Roads and defenses(walls) would be appropriate to help us in this war. as for attacking Priam we should wait until the second legion is in the south and attack with that
    Last edited by EmperorCharles; November 10, 2007 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs Gracchvs View Post
    I considered building either a portus in Rome and a market in Capua or one from these and walls around Ancona,Corvinus.As for the Legions,I would like best to be given command of both consular armies to crush the epirotes rather than Legio I alone;In any case the northern border are dead quiet and they won't need the protection of an entire army,would it?We can instead garrison the fort with some of the fresh recruits...
    I meant that once the recruits are ready, we should send them to guard the border instead of the 2nd legion. You then will have command of the 2nd legion along with the 1st legion.
    Praetorio Italiae

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

motion a- raise taxes

8 yea 0 nay

motion b- raise additional troops

8 yea 0 nay

(raise 2 each of hastati, princepes, and fundotores in rome, and 2 each of italic hoplites/pedites in both other towns. perhaps some italic cavalry as well?)
    Last edited by Paul d; November 10, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

By all means consul, send the northern legion to the south, to seige Priams fort! It will serve as an excellent staging ground for reinforcements.

In fact, I call a motion to give the consul command of both legions.

Motion to give Consul Regulus command of both legions in order to defeat the tyrant Pyrrhus. 1-0

We're going to need the Junior Consul's appointment for PS so we can start closing these votes. Also he will need to choose a Censor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Motion to give Consul Regulus command of both legions in order to defeat the tyrant Pyrrhus. 2-0
    The Crazy Finn

J. Stalin 1948