Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you presume to be your favorite Unit Type in Broken Crescent?

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What do you presume to be your favorite Unit Type in Broken Crescent?

For versatility, I'll probably go with the Aspetner.
    Naa'-khaa-raar (added stress)

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Default Re: What do you presume to be your favorite Unit Type in Broken Crescent?

These. Halberdiers with shields.

But if you put a gun to my head I'd choose any decent horse archer.

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

omani swordsmen

Reliable, dependable and VERY cheap units.

HORDES OF THEM

Raise High the Black Banners of the True Caliphate!
    -The Abbasid Caliphate of Broken Crescent Mod for MTW II. RELEASED!

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

Tadzreuli = Tadz - zroo - li (not sure)
    Tadzreuli (in English - Templar) = Tadz - ari (Tadzari > Temple)

Goose's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    • Hybrid Archers
      • Are those with shield, bow, and a sidearm. Typically they are at least medium-armored, the vanilla origin being the Ottoman Infantry.
      • Examples include: Ghaznavid Regular Bowmen and Ghulam Infantry, Sindhi Jagir Archers, and Ayyubid Mamluk Archers.
      • They are kind of the ranged-oriented Hybrids, being more "An archer with armor, a shield and a weapon" rather than "Infantrymen with bows".
      • I haven't used them quite as much in BC, but their role is also invaluable. When you have a unit which can fire on enemy's from the wall, and then promptly switch to a hand-held weapon and shield, you're in for a good fight. Not to mention they can easily fire on an enemy behind the line, then promptly reinforce that line or swing around to hit their flanks
    • Hybrid Javelineers [or Daylami-Style Infantry]
      • Are those with shield, sidearm, and javelins (AP or not). They can be any range of armor, but have to not skirmish. Closest thing vanilla had to them was Afghan Javelinmen or Almughavars
      • Examples include: Daylami, Soomro Warriors, Vishap Infantry, Rum turk Frontiersmen, Ghorid Nobles
      • They are kind of the melee-oriented hybrids, being more "Infantrymen with Javelins" than "Skirmishers with armor, a shield, and a weapon".
      • I've come to love this type of unit. A free one-two punch of ranged attack before the charge? It makes me question why use infantry who can't! While few actually pack that pilum-esque punch (Ghorid Nobles, Heavy daylami, and Soomro warriors are those to have it, I think), the free extra punch is easily appreciated.
    I agree 100% there mate, definitely my two most favorite unit types.

mastaace's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    These guys:

They come in mounted and dismounted form.
    thank you i did not know that they do exist dismounted as well, now that's fine!

Yeah, once 1.0 is out we'll update the front pages of all our factions, since for many of the earlier ones they are out of date, or lacking new additions or omissions.

I have to agree with spooksman. I was playing a Sindh campaign for about 10-20 years, while I suffered a good deal of casualties in my attacks/sieges (40% loss seems to have been the case for a field battle vs a full stack of rebels, and a siege of a full city), I was facing fairly low quality troops with low quality troops of my own (Sindhi Axemen and Punjabi Spears). While I realize I have to rely on much better troops fairly quickly given I'll be facing the Ghorids, or Ghazni, or Raj soon, those semi-reliable low level troops were still quite effective.

I think it'll be a difference in BC from Vanilla. In Vanilla I couldn't get to my higher level troops fast enough and just never used low level ones once I did. About the only ones I always used were sergeant spearmen or spear militia. Here, I suppose once I own a large empire it will be different, but even so I expect that for many of the less 'empire-y' factions (The Turkish Sultanate, Oman, the Sindhi), you'll be using your low level but reliable troops constantly.

For some you get a luxury of being able to more plan out your forces, but for many others it's a matter of what you can get your hands on, rather than what you can plan out as a full army.
    Last edited by Ahiga; November 11, 2007 at 06:00 AM.

Recon's Avatar Decanus

The Varangoi and in general infantry alike will defiantly be among my favourites, not only because they look smashing good - but because it will be a true challenge to survive in the middle east/minor asia with armies consisting of mainly heavy and therefore slow infantry.

I will put them to the test and hopefully find a good tactic that will overcome the dominating hordes of skirmishers..

Horse Archers ftw, I will pump out stacks solely of them a general and 4 lancers and own all with my nomad army!

Laetus

Due to the fact that I practically always fight in a triplex/duplex acies (a chessboard-like formation) in the open field, hybrid units and strong spearmen are pretty necessary.

And I hate heavy cavalry.
    Therefore I love Broken Crescent.

I'm Waiting to my normal style of play Super-Heavy Infantry-Viking style
    like the ghorids for example.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
    Due to the fact that I practically always fight in a triplex/duplex acies (a chessboard-like formation) in the open field, hybrid units and strong spearmen are pretty necessary.

If you fight the Khwarzimi, Georgia, Armenia and other heavy cavalry factions, you'll have more reason to hate!
    Last edited by IrAr; November 12, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

medium/heavy horse archers (depending on wot the faris cavalry counts as) and archers (hybrid or not) as long as they kill things with no armour
    True bread is for True Romans

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

I love the Unbreakables, those Ksathriya are just awesome.

Hybrid archers are always interesting too, I like those Sergeants that KoJ get, good with crossbow, adept with sword.

Quote Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post

Glad to hear you enjoy the mod! Though I do have to warn you that there are quite a lot of heavy cavalry in Broken Crescent, since all factions had access to a well armored upper class. However the extent of that cavalry is what varies, as well as the utilization of them. A group like Makuria gets 1 heavy cavalrymen at the very end of their roster, while a group like Byzantium or Jerusalem can field them relatively early (About tier 3). There are quite a few armies that will let you perform those tactics with solid infantry. Jerusalem, the ERE, Armenia, and Ghazni come to mind, each having very solid spearmen with something that supports that line of spears, be it pikes, javelins, or crossbows.
    Last edited by Ahiga; November 13, 2007 at 06:33 AM.

For some you get a luxury of being able to more plan out your forces, but for many others it's a matter of what you can get your hands on, rather than what you can plan out as a full army.
    Yeah thats sort of the idea. Oman doesn't exactly have a fiercesome roster(i like that challenge) but it does have a nice roster selection. And it has some pretty powerful guys in the neighbourhood with rather freaky unit rosters.

So is it between 8 reliable, cost effective, easily replaceable and cheap infantry units or 5-6 reliable, not as cheap and prolly slightly better infantry(but still wouldnt survive that much better against...a concentrated heavy ghulam charge for example?)

I rather prefer to be able to have more tactical and strategical options that numerically superior armies can give me. In real life, it prolly won't work as mass levy units have quite the tradition of being beaten by well-trained but much smaller professional armies(as it should be) but hey, in MTW II, all units, even the lowest and cheapest ones, march and charge like Spartans not all last quite as long though! lol

Of course, i'm not totally abandoning using heavier and more expensive units, i'll keep a stack or three but with the neighbours i'm going to have...i think i'm going to have to rely on mass producing lower quality but reliable and cost effective troops. Like the US did with the Shermans

Raise High the Black Banners of the True Caliphate!
    -The Abbasid Caliphate of Broken Crescent Mod for MTW II. RELEASED!

Laetus

Glad to hear you enjoy the mod! Though I do have to warn you that there are quite a lot of heavy cavalry in Broken Crescent, since all factions had access to a well armored upper class. However the extent of that cavalry is what varies, as well as the utilization of them. A group like Makuria gets 1 heavy cavalrymen at the very end of their roster, while a group like Byzantium or Jerusalem can field them relatively early (About tier 3). There are quite a few armies that will let you perform those tactics with solid infantry. Jerusalem, the ERE, Armenia, and Ghazni come to mind, each having very solid spearmen with something that supports that line of spears, be it pikes, javelins, or crossbows.
    Oh yes, I am aware of the abundance of riding tin-cans.
    Personally I prefer light cav for a number of reasons; they gain in experience quickly, they are very mobile and thus allow for multiple charges with very low mortality per charge and they are cheap. In TLR or vanilla I always am able to keep 2-4 units of mounted sergeants/hobilars/border horse from the start with max xp, and use them succesfully for a large part of the game, and they actually are rather succesful at taking out more heavily armoured opponents, and in conjunction with good missile units they are positively deadly.
    Now, I don't know how good this tactic will work in BC, but I thought I might as well try.

I can't wait until I can release my HA hordes upon the unsuspecting masses.

Yeah I also prefer very fast light cavalry over heavy cav.

2 Units of Alan light cavalry can cream a unit of feudal knights in seconds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast