Thread: Lands to Conquer 4.0 - Preview 5: AI, Balancing and Shiny Things

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Lands to Conquer 4.0 - Preview 5: AI, Balancing and Shiny Things

Lands to Conquer 4.0 - Preview 5: AI, Balancing and Shiny Things

With the Era Campaign previews finished(check out this thread for all 4.0 previews so far), in this final preview for 4.0 i will cover the improvements to AI, Balancing and of course new shiny things that will be in 4.0.

Sorry folks, not many pics today, didn't have much time for this on.

Release Date

LTC 4.0 will be out within a week.

Campaign AI

This is the AI area that has been improved the most since 3.1. I have been working on it almost constantly for a while now, and i am very happy with the end results. Whilst it isn't perfect(it never will be given the limitations of the AI modding and simply there will never be enough time to make a perfect campaign AI), this is what my campaign AI and related changes to other files does better than the vanilla AI:

-Stronger alliances, and allies which help each other more. This results in alliance blocs forming which also change over the course of the game.
    -More logical changes to faction standings. So you and the AI will no longer always end up terrible and untrustworthy.
    -More logical diplomacy, so it is now a more useful tool in the campaign.
    -Rarer Catholic - Islamic alliances.
    -Better AI sense of survivability. AI factions are more likely to want peace/vassal if being beaten/beaten badly.
    -Better AI garrisoning settlements, and use of forces to guard it's borders.
    -More aggressive AI v Independent Factions(eg the rebels from vanilla), so the AI expands much better early on and so the AI can create powerful nations.
    -Better AI invasions. It will now build up more before attacking, and attack with more stacks, and stacks which have more units in them.
    -Catholic factions less likely to attack each other, but still plenty of wars going on to give that Total War and Medieval experience.

All of this combines to really change the campaign experience, and really enhances the camapign as the AI is smarter, tougher and diplomacy is more useful. It also makes the campaign a much more enjoyable experience.

Battle AI

The Battle AI has also been improved since 3.1, the main improvements being in the siege AI and pathfinding. The AI now performs better in sieges, and the improvements to pathfinding help with unit cohesion and AI performance overall.

Though once again it is not perfect, it is better than the vanilla AI.

Unit Balancing

4.0 will be using a slightly modified version of the balancing found in the Medieval II: Kingdoms Crusades Campaign. The main difference being some changes to unit speeds so that cavalry are slightly faster than they were(i felt they were just slightly too slow in 3.1), and Halberds and Pikemen will march at the correct speed now.

I am also making use of the new recruitment_priority_offset value made available in Kingdoms to fine tune the AI campaign recruitment so it recruits better armies.

New Menu background, Loading Screens and Splash Screen

As i felt the black top and bottom on the loading screens/splash screen and menu background in 3.1 was a bit bland, I have used the parchement texture i used to make the faction selection maps for all the campaigns to make a new style for the loading screens. There are also more loading screens than in 3.1. See pics below:

Battlemap Graphic changes

I am adding in the new grass textures from Kingdoms into 4.0, and i have also changed it so that unit banners no longer bounce.

---------

I hope you have enjoyed the last preview for 4.0, and i hope you will all be anticipating it's release.
    Last edited by Lusted; November 07, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: Lands to Conquer 4.0 - Preview 5: AI, Balancing and Shiny Things

Can't wait to exploit, err, see your AI in action.

Looking forward to digging into this!

The only bad thing about LTC IMO is the new loading screens and menu stuff, but since I always use my own anyway, it's not a problem. In other words, LTC is the best mod and the only one that holds my attention for more than a few hours.

I've been playing with the retrofit mod but I'm dying to play this instead, it was just to hold me over until this release.. I don't like to fight armies of hobilars, mailed knights and ballistas.. lol.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Hi Lusted, will the 4.0 campaign and battle AI work with kingdoms campaigns (teutonic, americas etc)?

Thanks.

Hadrian's Avatar MacMhaolian

Thank you for all your fine efforts Lusted. Your like BASF, you don't make the game, you just make it better! Thanks for making my favorite game increasingly more playable and enjoyable....
    Hadrian
    Under the Patronage of PyrrhusIV
    Patron of jegui
    Keeper of the Faith

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

once again you offer us another wonderful update to an already wonderful mod,well done Lusted

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Lusted,

Your menu background is the most beautiful I have ever seen in this forum.

Do you speak french ?

"Si votre ramage se rapporte à votre plumage, vous êtes sans conteste le phénix de ces bois"
    Jean de la Fontaine

It means that you are the "phoenix" of this forum.

Loet66

Hi Lusted, will the 4.0 campaign and battle AI work with kingdoms campaigns (teutonic, americas etc)?
    Battle AI will, Campaign AI will not without some changes.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

I'm working on getting some kingdoms units read to be added to LTC, does 4.0 change the battle_models.modeldb at all?

Retired moderator of TWC

Yes as i've added in Teutonic Knights for the slave faction.
    Creator of:

Ok. But I suppose if I put all my entries at the end of the file (I'm just testing my stuff with the retrofit mod) that I can copy it all over to the LTC 4.0 version easily enough. Thanks

Right now I'm making the templar, hospitaller and teutonic knights use their new horses from kingdoms, but to make it work properly I have to make six new mounts.. lol
    Last edited by Garnier; November 08, 2007 at 08:38 AM.

Retired moderator of TWC

I´m looking forward to it.
    The one worry I have (from various AI mods) is that the player hardly gets attacked once he´s more or less settled in. So far, I´ve always found it extremely hard to provoke the AI to attack me (so I can keep my alliances).
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

I've noticed some diplomatic weirdness in 3.1 and I haven't seen it mentioned so far but...

It's pretty easy to get alliances and trade map info etc. at the start of the game, but if you go to war with any faction before you work your way through diplomatic relations with other factions, they will all hate you and flat out refuse to accept an alliance or trade map info forever. They will also go FAR out of their way to attack you.

I was playing Venice and wiped out Milan on turn 3. Within just a few turns, the Moors travelled, on foot, all the way to Genoa to mess with me. The Byzantines travelled, by sea, directly to Bologna (Bought it from HRE) even though I didn't border them at all. (I gave Iraklion and Ragusa to the Pope on turn 2 in an effort to get relations high enough to avoid the excommunication warning before I could assult Milan the next turn...which didn't work.) And HRE, France, and Sicily were all on their way ignoring any effort to gather rebel towns.

Is this known and addressed in 4.0 or is it intended?

P.S. Gratz and thanks Lusted...LTC is the only reason I am still playing M2TW and the only reason I will buy Kingdoms after 4.0 comes out.

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Lards to Corquer. Sweet!

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

The one worry I have (from various AI mods) is that the player hardly gets attacked once he´s more or less settled in. So far, I´ve always found it extremely hard to provoke the AI to attack me (so I can keep my alliances).
    That will not be a problem, my AI is set up to be more aggressive v human on higher difficulty levels.

Is this known and addressed in 4.0 or is it intended?
    Known and addressed as it was basically caused by some AI 'cheats' to force it to attack the player on harder difficulties over other AI factions, the 'cheats' have been turned off in the AI file for 4.0.
    Creator of:

Oh one more question...I got Milan once to become a vassal. Probably due to the AI cash bonuses, I would up getting like 15k per turn in tribute. I kinda felt like this was cheating so I cancelled the vassal alliance the next turn. Will this be in 4.0 or is there no way to get around that without reducing the AI cash bonuses?

No way to get around it without reducing AI cash bonuses - but that of course makes the AI less tough.
    Creator of:

Less than one week. Excellent.

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.
    --George Patton

Hell hath no fury like a non-combatant.
    --Charles Edward Montague

Oscar Wilde was a child molester. Quoting him doesn't mean that you're smart...you're just promoting a homosexual pedophile.
    --Sgt. Schultz

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Absolutely cannot wait!

Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!