Thread: HoI2 Paratroopers

Indefinitely Banned

Default HoI2 Paratroopers

I have all infantry and air technology, most of the land doctrine tree, a para division and a transport plane group yet I still cannot make air-drops. Why not?

Default Re: HoI2 Paratroopers

There is a technology in the air doctrine tree you must research I think.

Paratroops are fun though, you can actually annex some countries as soon as the new diplomat arrives after declaring war.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

what technology is this (im interested too as i found this problem out ages ago heh, but wasnt a major bother because i only had like 2 para divisions)

You'll have to research "Battlefield Interdiction" iirc in order to do paradrops. Also, in order to drop your paras, the planes have to be at full org. As your soldiers lose org when sitting on the planes, load them only up, when their transports are already at full org.

I use paratroopers a lot, mostly in combination with marines assaulting in an amphibious invasion. There is an exploit against the AI which I don't use btw: Drop a para in a province without a beach, but with a small harbour. The AI won't garrison it, so the para can land unopposed. On sea you have a transport with some crack panzers waiting, and as soon as the paras have dropped, you ship in the tanks and make piecemeal out of any counterattack.
    Paras are also great at helping in a blitzkrieg by completing an enirclement.

Indefinitely Banned

I discovered paras are a load of **** anyway. My fully upgraded paras were wiped out by a single Japanes militia '43 unit

Perhaps they were surrounded or at very low org just after a drop. Remember, they are light infantry, they can't stand up to normal divisions without support. I use them to capture strategic points, in advance of an armourmed spearhead, or in amphibious landings (with lots and lots of air support).

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

they were beaten by militia tho lawl.

but yea they arent ment to go against full on divisions.

Indefinitely Banned

A one-unit corps? In an air-attack? After I had spent two game-days bombing them with everything I had?

Nah, paratroopers are stupidly underpowered. in every area except toughness they are weaker than garrison troops. Sorry I meant garrison not militia in my earlier post

Yea, they are pretty much useless in the current state. Only used them once to take Taiwan when playing as commie China.

Indefinitely Banned

^ I used them against Taiwan, high five brother! I was playing as Britain against Japan

I never use paratroopers.

As Germany I always build a navy, transports, and marines to take England. Never paratroopers.

Also encirclement with combined arms works better when islands are not involved.

I really see no reason to use them.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Dude, Para is like the second best division in HoI2/DD !!
    Sure the planes cost ********s of IC though, but they are deadly. Always appearing when they shouldn't, e.g. soon to be closed encirclement, un-noticed paradrop into enemy capital (or a big airfield/harbour province, youll instantly destroy the airdivs/ships there)

Or you can capture a port province and rebase some transports there instantly.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

in historical stony road to war ( www.stonyroad.de ) they have added a new brigade model "elite brigade" you can attach this to every division except hq's i think, and it's perfect for adding to your paratroopers marines and mountain divisions. really makes marine and paratrooper divisions tough. it adds a considerable portion of ORG and morale, also increases in defense, toughness and attack

a good mod everyone should download.