Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XGM AAR: Egypt's Rise

EMV's Avatar Libertus

Default XGM AAR: Egypt's Rise

I know this isn't exactly good, or very interesting, especially this first post, since so far, i have only played 4 years of my campaign in which I mainly tweaked my econimical situation. The 3 battles are fairly Small and I don't do very well in them. The reason for posting this is so that I can receive feedback from the experienced XGM community on how to play! Don't hold back, thats if anyone is reading this, ofcourse, :hmmm:.

The campaign is on Hard/Hard. It is the latest version of the XGM mod and my first time playing it, or Egypt, for that matter.

For some odd reason somehow without intending to, I added a little RP =|.

===
    280-79 BC (S,W,S,W) - Major Economical improvements are made. Egypt's treasury is increasing every season. Spare cash is being implented in Frontier armies on the far West of Egypt's border, and at several points on the Egyptian-Seleucid Border. Egypt is preparing to expand her borders.
    ===
    278 BC (Summer) - A 2 Year expansion campaign is initiated after the declaration of war between Egypt and the Seleucid's. 1000 Egyptians move east from Side and begin the seige of Tarsus. A further 800 Egyptian's led by General Peithias march south from Hierosolyma and seige the rebel city of Petra. In the far west of Egypt 600 Nubian troops move south in hope of taking the scarcely defended settlement of Ammonium held by the Libyan's.
    ===
    278 BC (Winter) - Seleucid responds by blockading the ports of Salamis and Sidon. Egypt counters by sending her navy directly north and Admiral Peloros of the Egyptians defeats Admiral Antipatros in a decisive battle. A further fleet is being built in Hierosolyma to move North and clear the west coast of Seleucids by the end of Egypt's small campaign. Admiral Peloros moves his fleet North-West in hopes of blockading the Seleucid's Western Supply Line at the port of Ephusus.
    ===
    Egypt's 2 year campaign takes its first step into its 2-year campaign as the Seige of Tarsus begins.
    ===

(1-1)
    The Nubian Spearmen form at the wall whilst the skirmishers inflict medium casualties on the Cicilian Pirates eagerly waiting on the other side of the wall.

(1-2)
    The Nubian's breach the wall and the skirmishers halt fire. The Nubains suffer 70 casualties but break the lines of the pirates and watch them run home with barely 10 men.

(1-3)
    The Nubian Spearmen march up the city center while the Skirmishers quickly position themselves to flank the Seleucid lines.

(1-4)
    The flanking skirmishers get charged by the Seleucid reserves before they can get into position, but happily fire their projectiles at point blank range.

(1-5)
    Having re-routed the Cicilian pirates back to the Skirmisher's onslaught at the city center, the Nubian spearmen are caught in a slightly advantaged stalemate. Any second now the Egyptian Skirmishers will be in line to flank and crush the seleucid army.

(1-6)
    With control of the city centre, the Skirmishers are finally in position and flank the seleucid remnants and their amy is crushed.

(1-7)
    The Seleucid defenders of Tarsus are crushed and the 2 year campaign of Egyptian Expansion is proving, so far, sucessfull.

===
    Meanwhile in the South and South-West of Egypt the two small egytian armies, one of which led by General Peithias seige the rebel towns of Petra and Ammonium. With a endless supply of fresh water being taken to the Seige Camp daily the armies decide to postone the assault until summer when the defender's water supply is exhausted and the humidity of the summer heat dehydrates the defenders.
    ===
    277 BC (Summer) - With the lack of Generals to command the numerous armies on the Egyptian-Seleucid front Heir to the Kingdom of Egypt, Charikles, heads to the ports of Alexandria awaiting the correct weather to set sail for Sidon with his small army of Proffesional Phalangites and Nubian Cavalry to join forces with the Nubian's, Skirmishers and many Eastern Spearmen garrisoned in Sidon.

Meanwhile, South-West of Alexandria the egyptian army prepares to begin the seige of Ammonium where it is estimated, 600 Numidian Skirmishers dwell.
    ===

(2-1)
    The combined forces of Skirmisher's and Nubian Spearmen approach the wall-less rebel settlement.

(2-2)
    The approaching Numidian Skirmishers are charged before they can get a volley off on the Nubian Spearmen.

(2-3)
    A further group of Numidian Skirmishers hiding behind the first group fire many volleys into the fight below, hitting both their own, and Egyptian soldiers.

(2-4)
    The first group of Numidian Skirmishers soon routed, utterly destroyed. Now only 2 groups of Numidian Skirmishers remain, one without any spears left to throw. But the battle looks grim for the Egyptians having suffered many casualties early in the battle with the hardest part yet to come.

(2-5)
    The battle is neck-and-neck with all the skirmishers on both sides having run out of ammunition this was a battle of swords from here on.

(2-6)
    Having had both of the groups of Nubians, including the Captain and General of the Egyptian army retreat only 120 honorable Egyptians remain on the field, ready to fight to the death. With only 100 Numidian skirmishers being lured out of their morale boosting town center the battle is slightly in the Egyptian's hands.

(2-7)
    A very, very close battle was won by the Egyptians here today. Word was sent from Alexandria to spread across Aegyptus reading;
    A Close Victory was won in the Seige of Ammonium today, the heroic Nubian Spearmen and Skirmishers finished the battle after the cowardly, Captain Isetnophres ran from the battle. A reward of 500 Denarii's will be handed for the return of this man's head to be set on a spike outside the gates of Alexandria!

===
    However, in the far East of the egyptian borders the General Peithias leads a more, "morale boosting" battle at the Seige of Petra.
    ===

(3-1)
    A Combined force of Bowmen and Nubian Spearmen approach the walls led by General Peithias!

(3-2)
    The defending Camel Archers suffer 80+ Casualties and a group of archers are ambushed by the beseiging Nubian Spearmen.

(3-3)
    The last Cohort of defenders receive archer fire in their rear and Nubian spears in their faces. The battle is now surely in the Egyptian's hands.

===
    An easy victory was handed to General Peithias, though poorly commanded, he receives much glory from the plebs of Aegyptus. Due to the sudden popularity of Peithias the Pharaoh has no choice but to reward him with more power and land. He is given 4000 Denarii's to spend on troops to take Bostra which will he will be set to govern and control the land of
    under the Jurisdiction of the Pharaoh.
    ===
    277 BC (Winter) - The 2 Year campaign of expansion in Egypt has almost come to an end, in the following 6 months the campaign is finalized when several tasks are compeleted. The Egyptian's Main Navy reaches the port of Ehpusus and thus, blocks the Seleucid's western trade route. The Faction Heir, Charikles boards a boat to Sidon and is expected to reach here within the next 6 months. Finally, the newly built Egyptian navy heads North along the west coast of the Egyptian kingdom, clearing many ports from blockades by the Seleucids.

Egypt now sits on a 30,000 Denarii treasury with a large increase of naval and military resources.
    ===
    And to finish off my first post in this AAR, my current campaign map, and the situation at the Seleucid-Eygptian border.
    ===

(4-1)

(4-2)
    Last edited by EMV; November 06, 2007 at 05:35 AM.

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: XGM AAR: Egypt's Rise

I will like to see how this works out for you as i have never played as the Egyptians. Only experience with them is against them. BTW can you tell me what the Egyptian troops are like?

This AAR will fill a hole up from my campaign, as in my game Seleucid and egypt are ALLIES!!! And I have never seen that before.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Wow, an Egypt AAR. For what i have played with them their troops are rubbish mostly. Nile bowmen are nice... and agema units also, but Nubians... pfff.
    Though i am interested how do you do with them against Seleucids...
    Personally i don't enjoy city battles... there is not much tactical aspect in them.
    But keep it up!

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

This is indeed very refreshing....to see someone playing as Egyptians. And not all their units are rubbish...they have the Egyptian Sacred Band which are quite powerful units. I dont have much experience with Egypt but they must have some more good troops.

And I disagree with you Hansduet, i think city battles do require some tactic. Especially big cities. Maybe its not as tactical as open maps......but it sure needs some tactical strategy. Especialyl when your outnumbered and your defending a city.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

It's nice to see the Mummy awaken I'm really interested to see how you'll deal with the elite seleucid army that has medians, war elephant, argiraspids and regular phalangites. It must be somwhere near you i guess

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by rogergargantua View Post
    This is indeed very refreshing....to see someone playing as Egyptians. And not all their units are rubbish...they have the Egyptian Sacred Band which are quite powerful units. I dont have much experience with Egypt but they must have some more good troops.

And I disagree with you Hansduet, i think city battles do require some tactic. Especially big cities. Maybe its not as tactical as open maps......but it sure needs some tactical strategy. Especialyl when your outnumbered and your defending a city.
    Never heard of such a unit.

Yes, you disagree about the city battles, that is your choice. I don't just enjoy them like i enjoy the field battles. Usually the best strategy is to mass a phalanx in gates and they slaughter everyone who tries to came through... Does not work every time i have to admit.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Hans - Egypt has unit similar to the sacred band, called basilikon guard and it's trainable only in Alexandria i think

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Aah, Basilikon guard. Was it similar? :hmmm:
    Ok its ok unit.
    Among with Agema units and nile bowmen...

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Yes, you disagree about the city battles, that is your choice. I don't just enjoy them like i enjoy the field battles. :original: Usually the best strategy is to mass a phalanx in gates and they slaughter everyone who tries to came through... Does not work every time i have to admit.
    I do agree about its more fun to fight in field.
    And yea, if you form phalanx units at the gate it will be easy to defend. Still, i've had battles were I totally underestatimated the enemy.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Nice AAR EMV, I have never played as the Ptolemies before and always wondered what kind of strategy to use...I eagerly await the next installment, will you go for Damascus next?
    The Seleucid founding monument is in Seleucia near what is now Baghdad. If you take Seleucia you can seriously cripple them...good luck.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

EMV's Avatar Libertus

Amazing response! I didn't expect anything like that, especially for the 3 small battles I showed. Looking forward to posting something a little more exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by spartan-johnny View Post
    I will like to see how this works out for you as i have never played as the Egyptians. Only experience with them is against them. BTW can you tell me what the Egyptian troops are like?
    Same with me here - so far I have only used the Nubian Spearmen, Skirmishers and Bowmen. One thing I have noticed is the change from General's chariots to horse. The Nubian spearmen are VERY weak but are essential for use when your expanding quickly as Egypt. Skirmishers seem to do as well as my Nubian's in hand to hand and get to throw a couple spears in first. The bowmen were actually one of the most effective units for me in these battles, they took out a whole group before I entered the city and 2 more as I got in, without using half their ammunition.

Also, @Kara Kolyo and HansDuet, I believe I had some of these on that boat I sent with my Faction Heir to Sidon, so perhaps you shall see them in action soon? :hmmm:. I also, do agree land battles are much more interesting so for you guys I will try and fit some into the next battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    Nice AAR EMV, I have never played as the Ptolemies before and always wondered what kind of strategy to use...I eagerly await the next installment, will you go for Damascus next?

The Seleucid founding monument is in Seleucia near what is now Baghdad. If you take Seleucia you can seriously cripple them...good luck.
    Yes, I will send my army led by my Faction Heir to crush the armies at Damascus, it should then be a reasonably easy road to Hatra. I might try fit Baghdad into the next post ofcourse .

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo View Post
    It's nice to see the Mummy awaken I'm really interested to see how you'll deal with the elite seleucid army that has medians, war elephant, argiraspids and regular phalangites. It must be somwhere near you i guess
    If your referring to the one that starts in Antioch, then I am curious as to where they went aswell. Around turn 2 I looked to see if they had moved from the city, and they were no were in site, with barely any trees around for them to hide in, who knows where they went.

Thanks for the Feedback!
    Last edited by EMV; November 07, 2007 at 01:39 AM.

EMV's Avatar Libertus

276 BC (Summer) - As the 2 year campaign has successfully been finalized and completed Egypt now sets their eyes on the Seleucid Empire and two particular Rebel Settlements which would prove useful in the war. As of current, Egypt plans to destroy the armies of Seleucid, Reach Seleucia, and anihilate two Rebel Settlements by 270 BC. Faction Heir, Charikles is to lead the war against the Seleucids. General's Peithias, in the east is to take Bostra, and Knemos is to take Campus Blemmyae, a considerably well defended settlement considering it has no walls, south-west of Alexandria.
    ===
    Charikles quickly arrives in Sidon and engages one of the best General's the Seleucid Empire has to offer their armies in the west. Without taking any of the Cohorts from the army in Sidon to ensure that he would not run out of Egypt's reach Charikles is prepared to take on the esteemed Median cavalry with such a small force.
    ===

(1-1)
    The Main force stays back and lures the Seleucid general in and out whilst the Nubian Cavalry attempt to deal with the Median Cavalry.

(1-2)
    The Seleucid Median Cavalry soon suffer many casualties but with the help of their Peltasts they soon rout the Nubian Cavlary.

(1-3)
    But make a tactical retreat along with their General leaving their Peltast friends Pharaoh meat.

(1-4)
    It was a reasonably victory but the purpose of the battle lost, as the Seleucid General who will surely be given command of the Seleucid Empire's western armies has escaped the battle.
    ===
    As the troops rest from battle and receive reinforcements from Sidon, in a suprise move the Seleucid faction leader attacks a 2000 man strong Egyptian army with only 400 men!
    ===

(2-1)
    This man has a death wish.

(2-2)
    He recklessly charges the Seleucid lines, but manages to get away leaving his forces crushed.

(2-3)
    The Seleucid forces are crushed, but their cowardly, reckless leader gets away. By the end of Summer, the Seleucid navies are crushed, and all of their western ports are blockaded.
    ===
    276 BC (Winter) -
    A cunning Egyptian spy destroys the gates of Damascus allowing Charikles and his army to enter!
    ===

(3-1)
    The Seige of Damascus Begins.

(3-2)
    The Egyptian armies forward approach is halted to allow the Skirmishers to clear the conjested gateway.

(3-3)
    The Seleucid ranks are in a mess, half trying to charge the Egyptian Levy Phalangites, the other half blindly firing over the wall.

(3-4)
    The Skirmishers move out of range having used their spears and the Levy Phalangites step aside, the Nubian Spearmen prepare for the charge.

(3-5)
    The Numerous Cohorts of Nubian Spearmen charge into Damascus.

(3-6)
    A 15 minute battle ensues, leaving the Seleucid's peltasts and missile cavalry crushed.

(3-7)
    The Egyptian ranks enter Damascus.

(3-8)
    70 Cavalry, consisiting of Median Cavalry and the esteemed Seleucid General charge the Levy Phalangites.

(3-9)
    They succesfully break the ranks of the Egyptian Phalangites and quickly charge the Nubian Spearmen having lost just under 15 men. They go on to crush the Nubian Spearmen but become destroyed by the Egyptian Skirmishers.

(3-10)
    Charikles and his bodyguards and Nubian cavalry cover the flank.

(3-11)
    Charikles rallies the remnants of his army.

(3-12)
    The Egyptian army charge the only remaining Cohort of Seleucid Defenders!

(3-13)
    And are Victorious! Damascus is now an Egyptian City.

(3-14)
    Background information on Faction Heir, Charikles.
    ===
    General Peithias has now moved his army and beseiged Bostra. It is only a matter of months before the relentless Egyptian armies capture the settlement.
    ===
    A small army from Tarsus consisting mainly of Cicilian Pirates and Skirmishers engage's a Seleucid General and several hundred men outside out Antioch. Winning a battle here will surely grant Egypt more lands.
    ===

(4-1)
    The Cicilian Pirates swim over and flank the Seleucid infantry on the right.

(4-2)
    Meanwhile, the Egyptian skirmishers crossed over the left flank un-noticed and rout the Seleucid General, and lure in a group of infantry headed to the right flank.

(4-3)
    Having watched their General rout only several minutes ago and then receiving massive casualties in such a short time the Seleucids soon break.

(4-4)
    The Seleucid right flank follows suit.

(4-5)
    An easy victory is won, but of great importance to the Seleucids, now their glorious city of Antioch is surely doomed.

(4-6)
    A new General emerges from the battle! Hail, General Peloros Helios!
    ===
    Meanwhile in the South, Knemos new army sets out for Campus Blemmyae. It is a long hard journey and the seige is not expected to begin until at least 18 months time.
    ===
    With 25,000 Denariis put into retraining and building construction, along with the 2 - soon to be 3 settlements that will almost certainly come under Egyptian control, it's been a prosperous 6 months for Egypt.
    ===
    275 BC (Summer) - The Heir to the Kingdom of Egypt has rebuilt his army in Damascus, with incredible speed. He has taken his 480 men from the remains of Damascus and rebuilt his army to a grand total of 1500 men. Word arrives from Alexandria that he is to make camp and move in the morning directly North-East to Hatra.
    ===
    Meanwhile, West of here, the Egyptian army currently beseiging Antioch readies the battering ram!
    ===

(5-1)
    As the Egyptian Armies led by General Peloros approach the wall, their primary source of seige equipment catches fire. Now they must hope the Cicilian Pirates give the ladders better use!

(5-2)
    The walls are captured!

(5-3)
    The Egyptian Cohorts arrive at the city center.

(5-4)
    The battle is won at the costs of hundreds of lives.
    ===
    After numerous victories the Egyptian army under the command of General Peloros Helios, Alexandria orders that he is to take his Cicilian Pirates and over-run Hatra. Meanwhile they have ordered Charikles to take his army directly to Seleucia within 12 months before any backup can arrive from the East. If General Peithias wins the Seige of Bostra he will be given a army to move directly North to Palmrya.
    ===
    And with that order, General Peithias initiates the Seige of Bostra.
    ===

(6-1)
    The Egyptian army approaches the walls.

(6-2)
    The walls are breached!

(6-3)
    As the sandstorm clears the Camel archers are slaughtered by the Egyptian bowmen.

(6-4)
    The Arab cavalry over-run the City Centre!
    ===
    The Naval and army situation in Egypt will be at a stand still until 274 BC. The navies will move into more tactical positions and the Four Generals will head to their targets. Egypt is now officialy 2 years into its 6 year campaign, the last goal remaining is to cripple the Seleucid empire by taking Hatra and more importantly, Seleucia and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!
    ===

(7-1)
    Knemos headed to Campus Blemmyae

(7-2)
    General Peithias headed to Palmyra.

(7-3)
    Charikles headed to Seleucia.

(7-4)
    Peloros Helios headed to Hatra.
    Last edited by EMV; November 10, 2007 at 12:16 AM.

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

Good update.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Well done. Nice screens.

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Can't wait for the battle of Seleucia!

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

EMV, very nice AAR. It is refreshing to see a Ptolemy campaign. I too have never played them, I'm waiting on the new Greek skins that Maraxus has been working on.

Damn your expanding fast do you aim for the whole world?
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

EMV's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Molonthegreat - I'm not sure of anything ATM, I'm still fearing that missing Seleucid Army, as you can see a mear 30 Median Cavalry broke through 10 Cohorts of my troops in Damascus!
    Last edited by EMV; November 09, 2007 at 11:59 PM.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Nice update EMV, you're ripping them a new one! Your AAR is nicely put together, good screenshots.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Comon selucids your giving Alexander a bad name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast