View Poll Results: Your Favorite Hellenistic Commander (after the death of Alexander the Great)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Antigonus the One-Eyed

2 9.09%
  • Antiochus III the Great

2 9.09%
  • Antipater

0 0%
  • Cassander

1 4.55%
  • Cleomenes III

1 4.55%
  • Craterus

1 4.55%
  • Demetrius I

0 0%
  • Eumenes of Cardia

0 0%
  • Leosthenes

0 0%
  • Lysimachus

1 4.55%
  • Mithridates VI

2 9.09%
  • Perdiccas

0 0%
  • Perseus

1 4.55%
  • Polyperchon

0 0%
  • Ptolemy Soter

1 4.55%
  • Philip V of Macedon

1 4.55%
  • Pyrrhus of Epirus

9 40.91%
  • Seleucus I Nicator

0 0%
  • OTHER

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tournament of the Successors (Sunday, November 11)

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Tournament of the Successors (Sunday, November 11)

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
    - Alexander the Great

Following the death of Alexander the Great, his experienced cadre of generals quickly went to work on dividing up the conquered territories. These generals (or Diadochi) amassed incredible armies and, of course, went to war with each other. The struggle between these successors was an ongoing conflict. Each new ruler that took the throne were regarded as Successors of Alexander the Great.

It's time for us to wield those armies of the Successors!

For once, I have put into place some in-game rules:
    1) No Cavalry Archers of any form
    2) No Camel Archers of any form
    3) No Chariot Archers of any form
    4) No Corner Camping

Just to clarify: Elephants ARE allowed. Here's a look at the Tourney Factions...

EGYPT (No Camel Archers. No Egyptian Chariot Generals. No Egyptian Chariot Archers)

PONTUS (No Chariot Archers)

ARMENIA (No Horse Archers. No Cataphract Archers. No Bedouin Archers)

PARTHIA (No Horse Archers. No Persian Cavalry. No Bedouin Archers)

SELEUCIDS

MACEDON

GREECE

THRACE

DATE
    - November 11, 2007 (Sunday if you‘re in North America or Western Europe)

TIME
    - 2:00pm EST (US East Coast)
    - 7:00pm London, UK Time
    - 20:00 Berlin Time

If you're in the Sydney, Australia Time Zone, that would be 6am (Monday, November 12).

- all players will meet in the Competitive (server)

RULES FOR THE TOURNAMENT
    1. Please pre-register by filling out this questionnaire:
    - Your Tournament Name:
    - Favorite Tourney Faction:
    - Additional Comments:

2) the game is Rome: Total War (version 1.5)

3) denarii level: 10,000

4) map: Grassy Flatland

5) Tourney Factions: Thrace, Greece, Macedon, Seleucids, Pontus, Egypt, Parthia, Armenia

6) Do not restrict the movement of the camera

7) Unit Size should be "Large" unless someone's computer can't handle it.

8) In-Game Rules:
    - No cavalry archers of any form
    - No camel archers of any form
    - No chariot archers of any form
    - No Corner Camping

9) 1 vs 1 tournament

10) After you finish your battle, please wait for me to assign you your next opponent

11) You can switch factions as you please.

12) After a battle, both players will report the results to me (I want to know who won, and which factions were used)

13) Please save your replays! I might ask you to e-mail them to me after the tournament. My e-mail is prince_of_macedon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

The winner of this prize will receive only one reward: recognition as the greatest successor of Alexander the Great!

TOURNEY COMBATANTS:
    LEONIDASOFSPARTA (Current Tourney Champion)

- Your Tournament Name: |-Fist_of_Pontus-|
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Pontus
    - Additional Comments: yes i ll be there cant wait to show u all might of pontus my new faction will pwn you all
    BARBARIAN_PRINCE (Tourney Host)

Tournament Name: [TWC]Prince_of_Macedon
    Favorite Tourney Faction: Macedon
    Additional Comments: for the freedom...and glooooory of Greece!
    MOVEMOVE (may miss tourney due to huge time zone difference)

- Your Tournament Name: [Not sure Yet]
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Seleucid Empire
    - Additional Comments: is it pronounced seleukids or seleusids
    TURK

Name:CoH Turkish TW Lord
    Faction:Macedon/Egypt/Greek Cities
    Comment:Leonidas u will get owned ,everyone can play egypt
    SELIFATOR

Tournament name: [TWC]Selifator
    Favourite faction: I have no idea. I'll go online this week and try a couple, see how it works.
    Additionall comments: Punchbag reporting for duty!
    KING OF KINGS

- Your Tournament Name: not sure
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Macedon
    - Additional Comments: First tournament looking foward to it
    DIONYSUIS OF COH

- Your Tournament Name: dionysuis of COH
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Macedon,bruttia
    - Additional Comments: runner up in last tourney i should of beat leo
    ROMANIUSJACKIUS

Tournament name: RomaniusJackius
    Faction: Unknown at the mo.
    Comments: Yeh, im in
    KARAMELKID

TOURNAMENT NAME: KARAMELKID
    TOURNAMENT FACTION: GREECE
    ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I WILL COME I WILL SEE AND I WILL CONQUER
    WOLF-RTG

- Your Tournament Name: Wolf-RTG aka The Last Roman
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Greece "with Mutianu's help of course"
    - Additional Comments: £24.99 Mutianu Theories
    |-TR-|-JORDAN-|

Tournament Name: |-Tr-|-Jordan-|
    Favorite Tourney Faction: ermm Greece Probs
    Additional Comments: ermm none
    EVAN_2009

Faction: Pontus
    Game name: Evan_2009
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 11, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Default Re: Tournament of the Successors (Sunday, November 11)

- Your Tournament Name: ]|{CoH}|[-Leonidas-{||EoG||}
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Egypt
    - Additional Comments: Egypt will pwn all who stand in pharahos way....
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

I should be getting internet today or tommorow, if for some reason I don't, I edit this post thing...

- Your Tournament Name: [Not sure Yet]
    - Favorite Tourney Faction: Seleucid Empire
    - Additional Comments: is it pronounced seleukids or seleusids

y halo thar

coooooooool now you can use your peltasts. cant wait to play you

btw prince, macedon sux

MoveMove,
    Are you in the Sydney time zone? It's possible for you to make it, but you'll have to wake up very, very, very, very early.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post

btw prince, macedon sux
    You know you love Macedon. Don't deny it.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Name:CoH Turkish TW Lord
    Faction:Macedon/Egypt/Greek Cities

Comment:Leonidas u will get owned ,everyone can play egypt

Busy!!!

Lo all.

Don't mean to sound rude or sound like i'm hijacking the thread or anything, but why have mounted and chariot archers been banned from multiplayer?

I assumed that chariots were the main strength of egypt and, thus, removing them from the army choices limits the strength of the egyptian army. However, armies such as the Seleucids and Armenia keep Cataphracts (spelling?), which is historically their main strength. The same for Elephants, and Spartan hoplites. Surely to make it fair every army's main strength should be removeD?

I understand that the use of skirmish mode on mounted and chariot archers is totally overpowered, but surely a good general should be able to adapt to any circumstance?

Oh, and i'm not entering the tournament or anything - i'm not good enough for online play. But good luck to all of you

J

Quote Originally Posted by Joul Ironhand View Post
    Lo all.

Don't mean to sound rude or sound like i'm hijacking the thread or anything, but why have mounted and chariot archers been banned from multiplayer?
    Several reasons:

1) Chariot Archers and Horse Archers were not prominent in Successor warfare. But if I allowed either unit into the tourney, that would completely change the style of gameplay. And to be honest, we've already had plenty of those types of tournaments where mounted archers and chariot archers ruled the battlefield. Since I've never seen your face before, I'll assume this is the first tournament thread you ever read. So I won't come down hard on you.

2) In previous tournaments, Egypt would not lose a single battle due to its chariot archers. So, if you allowed Egypt to have Chariot Archers, it would be a tournament between Egypt and Pontus (the whole way through). Trust me when I say this: in the right hands, Egypt does not lose battles at 10,000 denarii. You can't say that about any other faction. Rome (in the right hands) can still lose battles. Even with these rules, Egypt is still ultra deadly.

3) If you play online (you probably don't), you'd know that everyone plays with rules anyway. CWB anyone?

4) Greece is still beatable with Spartans. In fact, Armoured Hoplites are far superior to Spartans at 10,000 denarii. In fact, Greece is a punching bag online at 10,000 denarii.

5) Regarding your last point of making it "fair," you do realize that the game is already unfair. Egypt is simply invincible with all of its units available at this denarii level. If you played online, you'd know that. So, if I allowed Egypt its full arsenal, the tournament would then be unfair.

I understand that the use of skirmish mode on mounted and chariot archers is totally overpowered, but surely a good general should be able to adapt to any circumstance?
    Yes, a good general can adapt. But what if you have two equally skilled generals? That means the general with Egypt would win easily. So, how fair is that?
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 04, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

hail prince

bah ye i mabbe love macedon... but they suck!

hehe

anyway ye spartan are **** lol too ****ing exepnsive and they r for notin

anyway about ha well they r banned cause they r too powerful compared to other factions

bah i love ca

anyway minions of pharaoh himslef own you all

EDIT: lol i havent lost game online 2 weeks with egypt since yesterday they r unbeatable if u no how to use em

EDIT2: Turksih u noob we will see who is gonna get owned nooblet

lmfao pharaoh laughs at you

EDIT3: i love tourney threads and arguing with ppl lol thaty my hoby
    Last edited by LeonidasOfSparta; November 04, 2007 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian_Prince View Post
    Several reasons:

1) Chariot Archers and Horse Archers were not prominent in Successor warfare. But if I allowed either unit into the tourney, that would completely change the style of gameplay. And to be honest, we've already had plenty of those types of tournaments where mounted archers and chariot archers ruled the battlefield. Since I've never seen your face before, I'll assume this is the first tournament thread you ever read. So I won't come down hard on you.

2) In previous tournaments, Egypt would not lose a single battle due to its chariot archers. So, if you allowed Egypt to have Chariot Archers, it would be a tournament between Egypt and Pontus (the whole way through). Trust me when I say this: Egypt does not lose battles at 10,000 denarii.

3) If you play online (you probably don't), you'd know that everyone plays with rules anyway. CWB anyone?

4) Greece is still beatable with Spartans. In fact, Armoured Hoplites are far superior to Spartans at 10,000 denarii. In fact, Greece is a punching bag online at 10,000 denarii.

5) Regarding your last point of making it "fair," you do realize that the game is already unfair. Egypt is simply invincible with all of its units available at this denarii level. If you played online, you'd know that. So, if I allowed Egypt its full arsenal, the tournament would then be unfair.

Yes, a good general can adapt. But what if you have two equally skilled generals? That means the general with Egypt would win easily. So, how fair is that?
    Fair enough i was just curious, after all. Never played online, most likely never will. I'm happy butchering the computer in single player, and considering how long the game has been released i'm assuming that many players will be so skilled it will be newbie-unfriendly.

Cheers for no flaming anyway.

lol m8 i started playng some months ago like 4 or sth and i know ppl who play for years and are still noobs

u shuld play online it ownz

Unlikely i'll play online. In the past i've had the countless "LOL NOOB" comments, and to be honest i don't want to play online against childish people who just create armies full of elephants or cavalry just to "win irregardless of the fun factor".

No offence to those in this thread of course, you all seem to be mature, sensible gamers. But i'm certainly not tournament material. I need to know a lot more about the game before I start going for a tournament.

Played some LAN before. That was fun, and "co-operative" multiplayer games, 2 people against 4 computers. Great fun

Quote Originally Posted by Joul Ironhand View Post
    Fair enough i was just curious, after all. Never played online, most likely never will. I'm happy butchering the computer in single player, and considering how long the game has been released i'm assuming that many players will be so skilled it will be newbie-unfriendly.

Cheers for no flaming anyway.
    On the contrary, several people here are relative newcomers to Multiplayer. As Leonidas pointed out, he didn't start playing online until a few months ago. I myself didn't even own this game until last December.

Anyway, I personally don't care what your skill level is as long as you're a good sport. To me: manners > skill. But for others, it's the reverse. If you play public games online, you're bound to run into some poor-mannered players. But at least with this tourney format, only people from this forum are allowed to enter (meaning we already know each other).

This is about as noob-friendly as you can get (without playing a LAN with friends). If you're waiting to get good before you play online, you're really closing the door to a very satisfying experience. Besides, most people don't get good until they play good opponents (and the AI isn't a good opponent).
    and to be honest i don't want to play online against childish people who just create armies full of elephants or cavalry just to "win irregardless of the fun factor".
    At 10,000 denarii level against mostly phalanx-based factions, you probably wouldn't want to spam heavy cavalry or elephants
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; November 04, 2007 at 12:03 PM.

Hmmmm, am a little tempted to try sometime.

Once my new PC gets built and RTW is installed I might ask for some opponents for online games. At least if I know the person won't totally rip it out of me if i lose it might not be too bad.

J

btw dont a give a **** to anybody online who talks **** to you ( myself arguing is best part of onlinr ) but u can mute all those idiots m8

and btw there are million of noobs online...none will tell u r noob if u cat normally

myself i hate idiots that join my games named: 1v1/cwb/15k/expert only

and then when i kick them they talk **** :S

just dont join games named clan only or for example: Leonidas only .... you know wat i mean?

anyway hope to c u there soon

EDIT: @prince---lmao m8 imagine elephants doing cantabrain circle lol

MoveMove,
    If you're in the Sydney, Australia Time Zone, the tournament will start at 6am (Monday, November 12). So, it's not too bad, I suppose. Hope you can wake up early if you join.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post

EDIT: @prince---lmao m8 imagine elephants doing cantabrain circle lol
    If Dumbo can fly, then elephants should be able to run in circles

u got that rite lol

Tournament name: [TWC]Selifator
    Favourite faction: I have no idea. I'll go online this week and try a couple, see how it works.
    Additionall comments: Punchbag reporting for duty!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

lol alerady 5 ppl signed but when tourney comes...lol they will have sth to do lol like always lol

As usual, people were turn out. I'll definitely be there. You'll definitely be there. Selifator will definitely be there.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast