View Poll Results: Do you believe that equality before the law exists?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everyone is equal before the law

8 29.63%
  • No, there is no equality before the law

18 66.67%
  • I don't know or don't care

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: equality before the law, truth or fiction?

Default equality before the law, truth or fiction?

I'm not sure if someone asked a similar question.
    if that happend lately let this poll vanish in the nirvana of the I-net
    and I have to search harder.

Okay the Big Question
    Does everyone in your country live by the same laws when he is in a trial at a court?
    Do you belive that equality before the law exists?
    Do you believe that judg/es or a Jury only judge the case and not the person or its lawyer?

Do you beleive that a rich guy get the same sentece as a poor guy for the identical crime?

CyberFist's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: equality before the law, truth or fiction?

In theory, yes, in practice, no.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Some people are always "more equal" than others.

For example: Try to file a lawsuit against a known magistrate. Unless he has done immense and flagrant damage, he'll most likely wipe the court's floor with your face.

Lawyers, judges and the like have a vast network of friends and favours. They usually win most cases they get involved with.

And Trial by Jury is the worst thing ever invented. The Jury is always overemotional and it tends to focus on erroneous details to reach a decision.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

CyberFist's Avatar Semisalis

If I was Hitler, prosecutors would be vehemently prosecuted

LAWYERS, RAUSS

MACHT SCHNEEL!

Let's just hope they were fascist communist kittens who were on their way to international fascist communist fair.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

The Mudpit is for current affairs. The Academy is for theory.

To the Political Academy this goes.

in practice there should be equality before the law. justice is blind to the face of the defendant and all that jazz.

in practice, it just doesn't happen.

factors the court take into account when considering sentence will always favour a more well off defendant, not through any direct bias of the judges, but the nature of the guidelines... and its a well known fact that corporate criminals rarely get comparable sentences to other types of property offenders

i work for a government body that oversees the provision of legal aid in england and wales. I know that the rates we pay to solicitors on the criminal defence scheme are a lot lower than almost all solicitors would charge if they were doing privately funded work, and the best solicitors charge even more. if you can afford to instruct someone like michael mansfield QC to defend you, you're far more likely to be successful than if you employ someone doing publicly funded defence work.

statistics also indicate that the police and CPS are more likely to impose a police caution on someone from a better off background than someone from a working class background for the same offence. though this in part has to do with the demeanour and attitude of the people concerned, and the fact that a caution requires an admittance of guilt

in a word NO
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Unfortuneately, wealth plays a massive role in how likely you are to get the desired result in this country, both in civil and criminal cases. So, no, there is not equality; in a capitalist system there never can be.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

No. Since we have a wonderful free-marketes type legal system, the fantastically wealthy have a gigantic advantage over the common folk. See Paris Hilton.

Someone will always be more equal, so no, however I believe the current degree of it in America is quite impressive.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

That's true. Relatively speaking, we are very well off.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

i belive their are double standards in the uk legal system and law enforcement.

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    I'm not sure if someone asked a similar question.
    if that happend lately let this poll vanish in the nirvana of the I-net
    and I have to search harder.

Okay the Big Question
    Does everyone in your country live by the same laws when he is in a trial at a court?
    Do you belive that equality before the law exists?
    Do you believe that judg/es or a Jury only judge the case and not the person or its lawyer?

Do you beleive that a rich guy get the same sentece as a poor guy for the identical crime?
    Well the US system (and all systems based on the British one) are adversarial. Thus, it is whoever is able to represent their side better is 'right'. So yes, usually truth comes out, but not always.
    for-profit death machine.

I don't know about the new Russian justice system (Putin instituted trials by jury recently) but when the judges used to hand down decisions, you nearly always knew your verdict before the trial started. In the USSR, if a case went to court, the man was convicted.

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

Its suppossed to, but no, the law isn't equal. After all justice is blind.

Custom User Title
    Citizen

I voted 'Don't know or don't care', but purely through futility. Some countries are worse than others, from what I have seen, but essentially if you have the right backing you can almost get away with murder. Sometimes it is not almost. There is very little we can do about it though, even in the most democratic of countries.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
    I voted 'Don't know or don't care', but purely through futility. Some countries are worse than others, from what I have seen, but essentially if you have the right backing you can almost get away with murder. Sometimes it is not almost. There is very little we can do about it though, even in the most democratic of countries.
    I advocate the nationalization of the legal profession. No one should be a ble to buy their way to justice through high priced lawyers.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    I advocate the nationalization of the legal profession. No one should be a ble to buy their way to justice through high priced lawyers.
    Thats a bloody good idea

Nope, in America i seriously doubt if black people are equal before the law and in the UK i doubt that Muslims are equal before the law
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

This is a tricky question.

Someone could be "equal" under the text of the law but the application of judicial equality relies on individual people.

Ideally the system would be constructed to treat everyone equally under the law.

Nope, in America i seriously doubt if black people are equal before the law and in the UK i doubt that Muslims are equal before the law
    If you look at cases like OJ Simpson, I think rich black people are "more equal" than poor white people.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast