Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATW Music Pack

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: ATW Music Pack

thanks! I thought i was gonna have to unpack everything and do all that junk.

would give you rep but i cannot.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

This music Mod is really complimentary to the game by giving it a more historical feel, well done!

Track Roman mobilise2 is a completely different rendition from one of my favourite tracks heard on a CD of Medieval music some years ago. On that CD it was sung in a falsetto voice with harp and was extremely mournful. "Music of the Crusades" David Monrow "Ja nus hans pris" by Richard I (coeur de Lion)

I thought that some of these tracks may have been by Alan Stivell, but it appears not. I would recommend that anyone who ikes Early Medieval music should take a listen, as he is the master of the Celtic harp. The album "Renaissance of the Celtic Harp" is a very good selection of tracks by him.
    Although a generalisation, I suppose you could say that Celts liked their music to be either very rowdy, raucous and uplifting to the spirits ( drinking much ale prior to a battle) , or very mournful and reflective ( crying into ale tankards when a battle is done) , for which the latter is perfectly matched by the soft melodies of the harp.

I have not listened to all of the tracks yet and hope that there is some Anglo-Saxon poetry on there. I think Anglo-Saxon is a wonderful language to listen to, far better than it's Germanic descendent tongues. Thanks again for putting together this sound Mod, it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by caratacus; December 05, 2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: extra info

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

There appears to be plenty of poetry in there. The recording quality of the speech is unfortunately not that great.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

There is the record of Beowulf as campaign track for the Germanics, enjoy it

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Great work, I love the opening video sequence.

+rep

GB

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I couldn't agree more with the OP. Music should inspire great things especially in a game of ancient war.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work on this because it completes the experience perfectly.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Thank you guys. I'm really glad it adds something to the game for you.
    And Beiss- it's supposed to be almost inaudible, I deliberately lessened the quality on certain tracks for effect. I admit though, I'm no master... I hope I can do better for Dominion of the Sword mod

Is it just me or is there a bit of Wongraven in there?
    God of Thunder
    Who cracks the sky
    Swing your Hammer
    Way up high

This music is fantastic and makes the game SO much better. I'm gonna put it on my IPOD too.

Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood,...paid in advance.

i genuinly found this finished the mod perfectly, especially the campaign map, where the original music was so boring i was begining to hate it. great job congrats.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Nice selection Hross. Not the best arrangement in game but I usually change that anyway. Now I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles but there are somethings out-of-place.

I like the use of Corvus Corax, they're one of my favorite artists. But I was surprised to find a few tracks of there's in this that I certainly didn't expect.
    Roman_battle3 is "Lolon"(sp?) from Corvus Corax's "Viator" album. It's an Eastern European Gypsy song from around the late Byzantine era, and really takes away the "British" feel of the "Roman" Factions.(However in IBFD, ChivTW, or Broken Crescent, it would be a fine East Roman piece)

Then, theirs "Roman_Event" which is another Corvus Corax song from the same album but in MEDIEVAL GERMAN! I know you added a poem on top of it to obscure the lyrics, but it really should not be in this mod or at the least given to the Saxons...I highly recommend it's use in MTW2 for the HRE.
    Also, there is the "Germanic_victory" theme which I believe is a Medieval Beabes piece in Latin. Certainly this should have been given to the Brits?
    And then there's the "Germanic_Battle2" which FYI is an Irish track from the Prehistoric Music Ireland team.(The very same folks who lent their work to EB) I think it's from the "Old to New" album but I'll have to check. I'm a little disappointed you didn't give that to the Irish factions since is idealizes their pre-"Fiddles and Pipes" days.(I noticed you used a lot of (sp?)Capricelie, who are a Scottish band) Now I know older Irish Music is hard to come by but some of this almost sounds Russian!

Roman_Mobolize6 I can't say where that's from but it's not Welsh by any stretch. Sounds like an Islamic Egyptian dance but those drum rhythms sound Iranian!(Turkish maybe?) Why, in god's name, are you using Middle-Eastern music in a Dark Age Briton mod? I understand going a little out of period Hross but out of general geographic area is a whole other basket!

I'm sure they are countless other errors, but the bottom line is there are hardly any period fitting tracks in this music mod.(And the ones that are have been mangled and placed wrong)It's a good resource Hross, but next time try to do some thought in your research on the music your using instead of just using what sounds good.

PS:I won't alert the Mods right away, but as I've just shown this mod is EXTREMELY illegal and I'd take it off or give due credit asap before one of those many many Artists find out about it.(You can't guarantee they'll all blow it off.)
    Last edited by Slaxx Hatmen; June 18, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

There is a tag on the credits naming the artists generically, since this was personally created and intended for limited use I cannot see a legal infringement.

I'm impressed at your knowledge of the various tracks, both the bands that performed the pieces and their background, it's ashame that your knowledge has killed your enjoyment of the music pack. Hopefully the 'errors' as you call them are not a concern for so many others who might pick up on the spirit rather than the absolute facts of the music.
    I did write in the accompanying note that I tried to find music that would suit the feel as best as possible, and with the limitations I had then, that was the case. I think I could make a much better music pack with the means at my disposal now.
    I am sorry that you didn't find the music fitting. By all means (I say this out of friendliness) try and find enough music to match this period and these tribes and make your own, like I said I had limited resources.

PS -I hate Corvus Corax

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    There is a tag on the credits naming the artists generically, since this was personally created and intended for limited use I cannot see a legal infringement.

I'm impressed at your knowledge of the various tracks, both the bands that performed the pieces and their background, it's ashame that your knowledge has killed your enjoyment of the music pack. Hopefully the 'errors' as you call them are not a concern for so many others who might pick up on the spirit rather than the absolute facts of the music.
    I did write in the accompanying note that I tried to find music that would suit the feel as best as possible, and with the limitations I had then, that was the case. I think I could make a much better music pack with the means at my disposal now.
    I am sorry that you didn't find the music fitting. By all means (I say this out of friendliness) try and find enough music to match this period and these tribes and make your own, like I said I had limited resources.
    Oh don't worry about me, I'm doing that as I post.(Finally, a use for all those Clanned ablums my Mom collected over the years)
    I just thought some folks would want to know some of these albums and check them out for themselves. Of course, the "feel" is a matter of opinion, and try not to be take it too personally that I didn't like it.(Like I said, it was a great list, just a little all over the place!) I wasn't even right on all my assumptions, Germanic_battle2 is actually from an Icelandic group and for that I'm sorry. Also I didn't have a problem with everything you put in the mod, I just felt it could use some rearranging.(One track sounds too mellow for a battle, then one is way too noisy for a tension, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    PS -I hate Corvus Corax
    ROLF! Then why are they always in your Music packs!?
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Ragnarök's Avatar Decanus

I haven't listen to every song yet, but they sound great, especially the gaelig one.

Roman_season pope benedict :hmmm:

Campidoctor

Anybody have a working mirror to the music pack? The one in the original post isn't working for me, and I really want to get back into playing ATW with the music.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

I just downloaded the music pack today, and got it fine, so try again....
    This is the download link that I used....
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JSW1SVQQ

Make sure to enter the letters on the top of the page, and then wait for the 45 second countdown to finish before you can download... That's just their way of annoying you into buying a premium service!
    Last edited by Irishmafia2020; November 09, 2008 at 05:45 PM.

Campidoctor

Indeed, but it's still not working for me.

Could you do me the great favor of uploading what you downloaded to www.sendspace.com? I'd forever be in your debt.

Maybe you could upload it to this forums download area, then it will be permanent.

Brynjolfr's Avatar Libertus

Beautiful music (especially the Gaelic tunes)! Btw, the track "germanic_tension.mp3" is sang in Swedish (my mother tounge) Cool...

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Quote Originally Posted by the celt View Post
    ROLF!
    Rolling on the laughing floor, are we?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast