View Poll Results: Which faction should I pick for my AAR?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dyfneint

0 0%
  • Powys

2 18.18%
  • Eotenas

5 45.45%
  • Elmet

0 0%
  • Gwynned

4 36.36%

Thread: Which faction?

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Default Which faction?

I am thinking of doing an Arthurian AAR. which faction should I play as? i made a poll with the factions I sifted out and prefer.

Default Re: Which faction?

Eotenas, I've never seen a Germanic ATW AAR yet, they're a cool faction. It's nice to see people doing these. I still haven't gotten around to doing my Ui Neill AAR, I held off before because of all the new Gaelic stuff in 0.7...

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

thanks for feedback. I liked powys so much, i added warpaint to their shirtless men (is that at all historically plausible?)

the germanic are indeed fun to play, but its tough because your forces are generally limited to your starting forces.

i will probably hold this off till .7 depending on how soon it is.

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

0.7 (The Raven-Feeders) is out, only the full build including it with 0.6 and the next patch is not ready.

I support Antagonist's advise for you choosing the Jutes. Hengest's geneats, can be great

Go Powys, they seem to be disadvantaged in terms of position. Jutes on the other hand are extremely well positioned.

Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood,...paid in advance.

i added warpaint to their shirtless men (is that at all historically plausible?)
    I doubt it (it's really just Picts and 2 of the 4 Gaelic factions) but anyway, nice initiative.

the germanic are indeed fun to play, but its tough because your forces are generally limited to your starting forces.
    You need to take a muscular, aggressive approach with the Germans in particular I find, you need a fair few settlements under control to bear the expense of the army you need. Don't hesitate to cannibalise your fellow Germans if they look weak...

i will probably hold this off till .7 depending on how soon it is.
    Yes, sorry for not clarifying: 0.7 is the latest released version.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

pardon me, i mean when the next version is out. (ie with musicmod and etcetera)

with the powys shirtless spearmen, i figured that shirtless was ugly without tattos of soem sort (probably from playing EB as casse to much )

in fact, i used an eb texture as a template.
    Last edited by Paul d; October 31, 2007 at 10:11 PM.

tested a campaign as jutes.. its fun.. but the generals cavalry I think are a little rigged. I managed to kill 800 soldiers alone with them, whilst the rest of my army only killed 500. I've won counteless battles vs the seaxe who betrayed me 4 years into the campaign. i am playing on vh/h (i dont like the battles to be overrigged in the AI's favour.)

also, i remember seeing an AAR with a cool feature: music. in every chapter, I will suggest a track from the mod's musicpack that i think best sets the mood for the chapter. (or section of it) in otherwords, you'd better have the musicpack to enjoy this AAR fully!

anyway, i'm preparing to start this very soon, and the reason i said i wanted to wait for .7, is because i didn't install it... oops! it has got to be at least 50% better than .6!
    Last edited by Paul d; November 02, 2007 at 10:06 PM.

hey, i have some queries for this.

which format?

1. should the campaign be broad, a tale of the national exploits and etc.? (3rd person omniscient)

or the exploits of a particular unit of elite warriors? (scyldingas of course XD) (in this case, the AAR ends when the last of the men in the group have died, and no retraining) 1st person

or the tales of the exploits of the kings? 1st person (kings eyes, when he dies, shifts to the new kings eyes.)

also, i am playing as Iotas, Eotenas, Jutes, whatever you wanna call em'

Classic telling is either 3rd person or one/several characters from the campaign (ie soldiers from each unit, etc.) telling the story.

hey, what the heck is up with Hengst! his beard and hair are still brown, although in my current camapig hes 70, and he has not a wrinkle on his face! his own son has aged quicker than he has! lol

this intentional?

Part of the portraits were adapted from MTW: VI and no 'old version' was done so yet it's normal

well for some reason I like it... It gives him a "heroic, invincible" feel.

sorry for DP (duple post)

will be starting the campaign on Friday, because I have a 3 day weekend this week (US veterans day)

expect an official AAR thread by sunday!!!

also, can anybody give me any info on folk tales (the magical ones, with mythical items and the like)? i want to integrate them into my campaign (one of em being Sir Gawain and the Green Knight- the Green girdle(s) will be mentioned.)
    Last edited by Paul d; November 07, 2007 at 09:58 PM.

Well, since you're playing a Germanic campaign it would make most sense to allude to things like the Finnsbergh Fragment (which is about Hengest) and Beowulf...

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

You can include some nice quotes in your AAR, just check them in data/texts/quotes.txt

many thanks!
    also, will wrie this in the "middle english" style Example

instead of "he was the bravest man in the kingdom." I will write "not a man in the kingdom was as brave as he."

this, IMO, improves the atmosphere a degree. any comments on this?
    Last edited by Paul d; November 08, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Good idea

yeah, I thought so too, but it may hamper progress; If it impedes the AAR too much I will stop.