Thread: Fix: Our men are under attack, we must act now!

Laetus

Default Fix: Our men are under attack, we must act now!

Medieval 2: Total War 1.2. patch introduced a new feature: an assistant captain, who yells stuff like the topic of this thread every 20 seconds or so. Which I think everyone finds annoying.

I was a bit surprised to see that I couldn't find any fix for this problem on any forums, not with Google atleast. If you already have a fix somewhere, sorry for that. Here we go anyway:

1) Download from http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Sound_text_files the .rar -file that can be found at the top of the page. (The page also has the instructions based on which I worked this solution.) The .rar -file contains .txt -files.

2) Unpack the .txt files to /data/ -folder.

3) Rename event.dat and event.idx -files from /data/sound/ -directory to something else, so the game doesn't find them.

4)* Change the .txt files as you want. (More later) These files are read-only, so you have to change that first in order to edit them.

5) Start the game normally. The game creates new event.data and event.idx files automatically. Changes you made should be working.

* Well then the changes we want to make:

The most easiest way to silence the Captain Obvious is to change from descr_sounds_battle_events.txt -file "probability 1" to value "probability 0". This means that there will be 0% probability that a battle event sound will be played.

This worked for me, and I did not test any further.

However, if you want to try making some other adjustments, maybe you might want to try change from that same file "repeat_timeout" -value to a higher number, which would mean that the guy doesn't repeat the same lines so often. Or you could look into export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt and remove(?) the events that you do not want to hear.

Should be easy -- I hope it works for everyone.

----

Then couple other fixes, which I'm sure most of you already know:

In game's main folder there is medieval2.preference.cfg -file. From it you might want to change the following:

advisor_verbosity = 0
    blind_advisor = 1
    mute_advisor = 1

This gets rid of rest of the advice. (But doesn't work on v1.2. assistant captain).

Other things which you might want to try out are:

disable_arrow_markers = 1
    show_banners = 0 ([video]-section)

It's probably best to change this file to read-only after the changes, as the game has a habit of changing the values back. (But if you do this, you have to remember to remove the read-only flag if you want to make some changes using the game options menu.)

----

Then there is descr_strat.txt -file in \data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\ -folder.

From here you can for example change all factions playable by moving them from unlockable -section to playable -section.

The file also has timescale -value, which tells how many years one turn takes.
    You can also comment out
    ;show_date_as_turns
    to get year shown instead of turn number.

Nice values to make large empires easier to manage are
    brigand_spawn_value 200
    pirate_spawn_value 60

These effect on how many brigands and pirates appear on the map. (This is random, and happens even if you have all provinces at 200% loyalty.) Large numbers mean less rebels, small mean more. I found 200 and 60 good values.

This also effects on old savegames, so no need to start a new campaign.
    Last edited by zbrenhz; October 29, 2007 at 08:17 PM.

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Fix: Our men are under attack, we must act now!

Thanks I will give this a go. Captain Obvious makes me want to tear my %&#$@$g hair out!!!!!

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

I simply turn my radio on and don't bother to listen to the game sounds.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Many will find this useful and thanks for making this mod for those who need such a thing, but to be honest; I don't find them annoying (maybe it's just a matter of taste).

But thanks anyway .

Nice fix for something which I'm sure gets on a lot of people's nerves .

Im sorry, but this assistant captain guy has nothing on Ceasar 2.

PLEBS ARE NEEDED!

Laetus

I don't understand what you ment, Ryoken, but your mod sounds very good. I'll be sure to check it out after I finish my current campaign.

Did Metellus or anyone else get this working? (I think the instructions are clear, but you never know yourself if it is clear to others.)

In the game Caesar 2, you build ancient roman cities kinda like SimCity for modern times. The game required that you assign "plebs" or peasant-type people to doing certain jobs. If you didnt have enough plebs to do all your jobs, the game would keep saying "PLEBS ARE NEEDED" over and over. It was insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoken View Post
    Im sorry, but this assistant captain guy has nothing on Ceasar 2.

PLEBS ARE NEEDED!
    I hardly use this pharse as it is beneath me and my age group, however, OMG! I know that voice all too well, I can hear it now in the back corners of my mind lol. That could drive anyone to ruin their city for sheer peace.

I will move this thread to the proper modding section as well. I am sure people will find it useful.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Laetus

This isn't a mod btw, as it doesn't even contain any modified files. Simply instructions to get the files and modify them.

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

I tried it last night but the RAR file was corrupted. Gonna give it another go this evening.

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

My apologies for the thread necromacy, but this thread so deserves a big thank you from yours truly. I'm going to implement it now.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong