Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Europe Total War : War of Corruption

Default Re: Europe Total War : War of Corruption

[quote=sinople;2618819]@ Nevada : The map is at 0%

@ General_Vladimir : It's difficult for me to explain in english why, I'll try in french perphaps you'll understand :
    En fait, l'Empire Byzantin a été rajouté au mod car ce serait une erreur historique que de ne pas le mettre. Cependant, comme il est coupé en 2 (seulement une partie de son territoire est présente dans le mod), on ne peut envisager de mettre les turcs. De plus, c'est un mod sur l'Europe .

@ Darkarbiter : I tried in summer holidays. I reach to make new maps from scratch but my results were bad. For instance this what I done :

[/qoute]
    Whats wrong with that map?

Laelius's Avatar Laetus

looking really good. i'm definately going 2 get it, when its done. glad 2 see the swiss in it
    great work!
    Last edited by Laelius; January 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: cos i wanted 2?

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

i got an error i never had before:
    it says it wouldn't find a settlement that is in descr_strat listened (it doesn't exist there, nor in other files)
    . Did you go to the line to see what he was saying exactly ?

Whats wrong with that map?
    It isn't make

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

well, it's this line in systemlog:

Quote Originally Posted by systemlog.txt
    13:51:44.295 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/ETW/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 89, column 1
    You have chosen an invalid tile(0, 0) for the settlement of
    I got only 2 settlements for now and they are in the middle of europe. I also pointed water over this place (it's in the middle of the atlantic ocean) and it still doesn't start.

I even replaced the ground_types with the heights (it starts then, but the continent appears violet then) but this doesn't work, too.

General_Vladimir's Avatar Miles

Icon1 Re: Europe Total War : War of Corruption

Below is the proper post
    Last edited by General_Vladimir; January 29, 2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Because one of the pictures was huge and broke the barrier of the forums
    Emperor of the Total War clan, the Warriors Of Troy!!!Warriors of Troy are Recruiting!! We are a Total War Clan
    Forums: http://warriorsoftroy.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Hail All!!

En fait, l'Empire Byzantin a été rajouté au mod car ce serait une erreur historique que de ne pas le mettre. Cependant, comme il est coupé en 2 (seulement une partie de son territoire est présente dans le mod), on ne peut envisager de mettre les turcs. De plus, c'est un mod sur l'Europe
    Using what I've learnt, this is the English Translation. Please correct me if I am wrong!

In fact, Byzantine Empire was topped up in the mod because it would be a historical error that not to put it. However, as it is cut in 2 (only a party of its territory is present in the mod), they cannot plan to put Turkish. Besides, it is a mod on Europe
    I fullheartedly agree Sinople that it would be a gross historical error. The Eastern Roman Empire lead for a long time in the Greek region, until the sacking of Constantinople by Roman Crusaders in 1204. It then got recaptured by the Empire, but did not fall to the Ottoman Empire until May 29 1453. Now The Eastern Roman Empire was also known as the Byzantine Empire by historians which it was invented in 1556 and thus plays its part as the name of the ERE in modern day historical thought; and as thus is used in MTW2 and the expansions.

But accordingly there is some sound thought to Gazi Husrev-Beg post.

You *must* have emerging Ottoman faction. Just like Horde, not sure if Mongol Horde will be featured, since this is Europe centralised. Ottomans should be in defenetly at some later point. I mean they came all the way to Wienna, that makes them european faction
    The Ottomans did take over alot of eastern Europe from 1300 to 1451.

Seeming this mod is set to finish in 1492 there is sound historical thought in this fact. Maybe in the Far East of the Eastern Roman Empire there be an emerging faction, and as the player you can crush the rebellion and save Europe from the carnage that the Ottoman Empire created. There is importance in the presence of the Ottoman Empire in history. I again agree with you sinople to the fact that it cannot stretch eastwards, but it can indeed stretch west; thus not really effecting anything if you stick with the same map.

Alas it is up to you, but analysing it it shows it is sound. Remember that Constantinople falls to the Ottomans in 1453 with the sacking of Constantinople, BUT there ever reaching capabilities as such are displayed above in picture and below.

So yes I understand the technical difficulties but in a historic point of view it would be a bit difficult to leave out totally the thought of an Ottoman Empire. As I said you can always make it an emerging faction, with a huge army and it is the players skill that stops the marauding Ottomans to take over the Eastern Roman Empire.

Besides that, here is a continuation of the regions and their histories. As per to you, Navada mate Heres more of the stuff you need. Also more histories are above just incase you need some more further understanding. As always there are references for everyone if you's like to do any future information:

The Eastern Roman Empire (Or the Empire of the Romans as it was called; also called The Byzantine Empire by historians and modern people)

Capital: Constantinople (OF COURSE!!)

Because of the vastness of the Eastern Roman Empire it is hard to comprehend every region. Now this map below is the map we are using; which Sinople provided but he cut half of it due to the fact that this is Europe not the whole world!! But it gives a clearer picture in a way in what the territory of Byzantines and that is:

FORUM COULDN'T FIT PICTURE!!! THEREFORE IF YOU WANT TO LOOK GO LOOK ON THE WEBPAGE

http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_...e_map_1100.jpg

Regions of the Byzantines from the map provided:

Duchy of Nissa
    Duchy of the Danube
    Theme of Macedonia and Thrace
    Duchy of Sallonia
    Duchy of the Islands
    Duchy of Crete
    Duchy of Rhodes
    Theme of Hellas and Peloponnese
    Duchy of Ohrid
    Chios
    Samos
    Duchy of the Aegean
    Thracesian Duchy
    Opsician Duchy

Now for this it is quite difficult to get information. For some, such as Nissa, and Sallonia, no such information exists. The only thing I got close to it in my knowledge is "Salonia", a Freed Greek slave who lived in the 2nd Century BCE. But that is not medieval lol . I shall provide as much information I can regarding most of these regions. These are governing provinces, but to give you an oversight of information:

Duchy of the Danube: An administrating body of the Byzantine Empire over the final legs of the Danube River before it exits into the Caspian Sea. The Danube River being the 2nd longest river in Europe was a key strategic point to the old Roman Empire and that of the Byzantines (the Eastern Roman Empire). The bridge between the river was immense, so therefore it was a key place to build fortresses and watchtowers to guard from enemy siege. Key component to many waltzes, the Danube was as thus a key strategic point for the ERE.

Theme of Macedonia and Thrace:

Settlement: Thessalonike (Or Constantinople - There Isn't another you could put it with unless you add the region that is east of Constantinople)

HistoryMacedonia and Thrace were themes (or provinces) of the Byzantine Empire. The outstanding importance of particularly Macedonia in the age of Byzantium arose from the strategic position it occupied between the area around the Danube and the more southern region of the Balkans, on the one hand, Constantinople and the Adriatic Sea, on the other. Its importance was even greater after the conquest of the eastern Byzantine provinces by the Arabs, despite Slavic and Bulgarian incursions, which impeded movement over land routes. Among a number of other towns and cities, Thessalonike, situated at an intersection of routes, was naturally suited to be an administrative, economic, religious, and cultural centre.
    After the end of the Frankish occupation, Macedonia became the territorial centre of the Late Byzantine Empire and developed into a cultural centre whose influence was felt throughout the Balkan Peninsula. However, the destruction and pillaging that occurred as the Turks advanced westwards at the end of the 14th century limited Byzantine sovereignty to small areas of the whole region. The capture of Thessalonike by Murad II in 1430 saw the transformation of Macedonia into an Ottoman possession. Thrace itself came to this conclusion, as it wasn't as prosperous as Macedonia, but more of the Battlefield current of this Duchy. (Sources will follow)

[i]Duchy of Crete/i]

Settlement: Candia

History:

Crete continued to be part of the Eastern Roman or Byzantine Empire, a quiet cultural backwater, until it fell into the hands of Arabs in 824, who established an emirate on the island. The archbishop of Gortyn (Cyril) was assassinated and the city so thoroughly devastated it was never reoccupied. Candia (Heraklion), a city built by the Arabs, was made capital of the island instead.
    In 960 the Byzanites reconquered Crete, who held it until 1204, when it fell into the hands of the Venetians at the time of the Fourth Crusade. The Venetians retained the island until 1669, when the Ottoman Turks took possession of it.

Duchy of Rhodes

Settlement: Rhodes

History:
    In 1309 the Byzantine era came to an end when the island was subjugated by forces of the Knights Hospitaller. Under the rule of the newly named "Knights of Rhodes", the city was rebuilt into a model of the European medieval ideal. Many of the city's famous monuments, including the Palace of the Grand Master, were built during this period.
    The strong walls which the Knights had built withstood the attacks of the Sultan of Egypt in 1444, and of Mehmed in 1480. Ultimately, however, Rhodes fell to the large army of Suleiman the Magnificent in December 1522. The few remaining Knights were permitted to retire to the Kingdom of Malta. The Knights would later move their base of operations to Malta. The island was thereafter a possession of the Ottoman Empire for nearly four centuries.

Theme of Hellas and Peloponnese

Settlement: Athens

History: The history of the Byzantine Empire is described by scholar August Heisenberg as the history "of the Roman state of the Greek nation, that turned Christian". uring the 9th Century, the Byzantine Empire was ruled by a Macedonian dynasty which conquered once more Antioch, Syria, Georgia, Armenia, Crete and the Aegean and, reopened the trade lines. These military successes improved the economical conditions of the Empire.

But, this short period of prosperity was followed by a period of decline.
    In the 11th century, a Norman army invaded many parts of the Greek territory. Turks from Central Asia captured Romanus IV, the first ruler after the decline of the Macedonian dynasty.

Greece was divided in several kingdoms ruled by Western princes. Venice started gaining control of many parts of Greece. Many architectonical remains can still be seen in many parts of Greece.

During the 14th century, the Ottomans Turks invaded the Balkans and Asia Minor. Constantinople finally felt under the rule of the Ottoman Empire, which marked the end of the Byzantine period.

Duchy of Ohrid

Settlement: Ohrid

History: Ohrid is credited as being the birthplace of the Cyrillic alphabet, which was most probably created by St. Clement of Ohrid that further reformed the Glagolic alphabet created in turn by the brothers St. Cyril and Methodius. Bohemond and his Norman army took the city in 1083. In the 13th and 14th century the city changed hands between Despotate of Epirus, Bulgaria, Byzantine Empire and Serbia. At the end of the 14th century it was conquered by the Ottomans and remained under them until 1912. The Christian population declined during the first centuries of Ottoman rule.

Chios

Settlement: Chios

History: From the end of the 7th century until circa 10th century AD, Chios shared the descent and economic decline of the areas in Asia Minor and Greece. The recovery of the island began mainly at the 11th century AD. the fortress were probably built then, while the chrysobull of Emperor Nikephoros Botaneiates (1078 - 1081) mentions numerous administrative and military officers. The presence of royal officers, fortress builders and guards indicates the interest of the capital city in defense works on the island. According to Anna Comnena, Chios experienced the attacks of the Turk Tzachas during the of the 11th century, at 1090 but at 1093 the Byzantine General Constantine Dalassinos drove Tzachas from Chios. In 1124 and 1171, the Venetians tried to conquer the island, but abandoned Chios after a famine broke out , and rumors that the Byzantine fleet was on its way to Chios had spread on the island. After 1204, Chios became subject to the Latin state of Constantinople, but was liberated by Duke John Vatatzis in 1225. After a series of adventures, the Genoese conquered the island and held it in their possession for approximately two centuries.

Samos

Settlement: Samos

History: As part of the Byzantine Empire, Samos became the head of the Aegean theme (military district). After the 13th century it passed through much the same changes of government as Chios, and, like the latter island, became the property of the Genoese firm of Giustiniani (1346-1566; 1475 interrupted by an Ottoman period).

[i]Anyways thats as much information I could gather. Its the wee hours of the morning now lol!! Well there is alot of information about the regions of the Byzantines and their histories. Here is some more information on the Eastern Roman Empire in this period:

n 395 A.D. the Roman Empire was finally dismembered. Its western part fell to the barbarians while the eastern part played an important role in world history for more than a thousand years. With the establishment of Constantinople in 330 A.D. as the capital of the Eastern Roman and the complete predominance of Christianity, the Greeks became conscious of their national identity and laid the foundations of the later powerful Byzantine Empire. Byzantine civilization is considered to be a continuation of ancient Greek civilization with many Roman and Eastern influences. Its main identifying feature was the Christian religion which pervaded its legislation, its literature, its architecture, etc. The Byzantine emperors converted neighboring people to Christianity and, with their powerful fleet, ruled the seas up to the 8th century A.D. The strategic position of Constantinople, on the site of old Byzantium, between the two large continents of Europe and Asia, shifted the centre of gravity of world domination to the east. But it also became a pole of attraction for all foreign invaders.
    In 1096 A.D. the "Frankish" infiltration of the Levant began with the First Crusade. The Crusaders overran the Greek lands. The Fourth Crusade ended with the taking of Constantinople in 1204 and the sharing of the empire among the Crusaders, while Venice imposed itself on the Levant for centuries, in parallel with the Turks. Venice dominated some Creek islands either directly or indirectly. Euboea, the Cyclades, the Ionian islands, Crete and Cyprus were more or less Venetian possessions from 1489 onwards while in the 15th century, Thasos, Samothrace, Imbros, Lemnos, Chios, Samos, Icaria and the ports of Ainos in Thrace and Phocaea in Ionia were Genoese dependencies. Rhodes and Its neighboring islands had been occupied by the Knights of St. John since 1308.
    The dismantling of the Byzantine Empire, however, did not bring about the dismantling of Hellenism as well. The idea of national unity had already been sufficiently developed to spark the formation of cores of resistance. Michael Palaeologus succeeded in retaking Constantinople in 1262 and the revived empire lived on for another two centuries. The empire of the Palaeologi was, in fact, nothing more than a national Greek state which, under attack from the Serbs, Bulgarians and Turks was obliged to abandon the dream of empire and barricade itself behind a national idea in order to defend what had remained of Hellenism. The same spirit of resistance inspired the rest of the Greeks, those who were still under Frankish occupation.

The Fall of Constantinople

Finally, in 1453, Constantinople fell to the Ottoman Turks after a siege of two months. The last emperor of Byzantium, Constantine Palaeologus, fell with the city. Hellenism was then nourished by traditions in which one legend featured very largely: that of the king (Constantine) who had been turned into marble by an angel, and hidden from the Turks until the time was ripe for his resurrection and return. The structure of the social and political life of the Turks, who occupied themselves mainly with their holy war, led them to leave such things as trade, arts and crafts and other productive activities to their vassals, thus making the latter indispensable to the functioning of the empire's administrative machine.

The Turkish Occupation

For Hellenism, the Turkish conquest signified catastrophe, decline and retrogression. Religion played an important role during the first centuries of the conquest in upholding morale and fostering resistance. In the 18th century, however, in parallel with the development of trade in Greek lands, there was a change in economic relations and a Greek urban, middle class began to be formed which, in spite of its peculiar nature, promoted the development of a national conscience.
    Inspired by the age of enlightenment in France and stimulating a flowering of intellectual thought, it fired enslaved Greeks with the idea of freedom and equality. At the beginning of the 19th century, the national conscience of the Greeks had reached full maturity and clarity.

Thats a mouthful!!!

Oh JESUS!!

Choose the regions out of that lol. I don't think that many regions would help under Byzantine control. Maybe a bit less. But thats all the information that is required for the Byzantine Civilisation.

Tomorrow I shall Finish of Hungary, Poland, etc. and Hopefully get to the HRE. Once its all done I'll polish real closely. Now here is the references if anyone wants to look it up some more:

Reference:

http://www.deltadunarii.ro/?lg=en
    http://www.crystalinks.com/byzantine.html
    http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefme...p/T041441A.gif
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_%28theme%29
    http://www.macedonian-heritage.gr/He...nia/en/A2.html
    http://faq.macedonia.org/history/index.frame.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrace
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Crete
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...17776764/pg_12
    http://www.archaeopress.com/default3rd.asp
    http://www.greeka.com/greece-byzantine.htm
    http://www.hellas-guide.com/best_greece/byzantine.html
    http://www.ohrid.org.mk/eng/istorija/samuil.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohrid
    http://www.ohrid.gov.mk/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chios
    http://www.chios.gr/
    http://www.chiosonline.gr/byzantinechios.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samos_Island
    http://www.vathi.gr/
    http://www.travel-to-samos.com/page.php?page_id=60
    http://www.historyguide.org/ancient/lecture17b.html
    http://historymedren.about.com/cs/by.../forgotten.htm
    http://www.greekembassy.or.id/pages_.../Byzantin.html
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03096a.htm

Cheers!!! Enjoy if you can.... :hmmm:

[WOT]{Emp}General_Vladimir
    Last edited by General_Vladimir; January 29, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Trying to fix it so it doesn't break the forums boundary
    Emperor of the Total War clan, the Warriors Of Troy!!!Warriors of Troy are Recruiting!! We are a Total War Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    well, it's this line in systemlog:

I got only 2 settlements for now and they are in the middle of europe. I also pointed water over this place (it's in the middle of the atlantic ocean) and it still doesn't start.

I even replaced the ground_types with the heights (it starts then, but the continent appears violet then) but this doesn't work, too.
    Did you use the Grand Unit Addon mod as a base or did you make your own folder ? (i saw ETW but it is perhaps just a new name)

To General Vlad : but what faction will you put away if we add the Ottoman Empire ?

Ps : for the settlements if it is possible can we keep the local name for each city ? (if it is possible of course).

Caliphate of Cordoue is not correct for the starting time period of the campaign.

It should be the Almoravids as shown on your map, the border of them and the Christians is probably a little optimistic though, I would add a row of rebel provinces between them, as well as making Hammadids of Algeria and Zirids of Tunisia rebel factions too. Most of Spain would be of Muslim faith at this time as well, with the North and North West provinces being predominantly Christian, the rest was predominantly Muslim even if the ruling faction was Christian in those areas.

A map that focuses on europe in one big map, this is an excellent idea! Your map and new factions all look very very good Best of luck with this mod and I shall definately be keeping an eye on this.

Dave

http://www.i-friesland.com/history.html

here's info about friesland

In the middle ages it was more or less like holland is now, a very democratic (which was very special in that time) nation with a lot of trade across the sea. They had also very good cattle and horses (for the knights). They didnt have a king or emperor or any kind of regent, they ruled themselves

Hail all!!

Sinople that is very good! Some of them it would be good the local name for the city, but some don't correspond. I guess its just a game of dot to dot. For example; "Duchy of Rhodes" (If it be included) the city would be of course Rhodes, but places like "Theme of Thrace and Macedonia" it would be difficult to put as the city "Thrace".

About the Ottomans can it be added as an emerging faction in the timeline? I mean it might not necessarily be playable, but an emerging faction? If it is playable I don't know how it would work; maybe only in custom battle or something. If it is playable then you would have to make a tiny territory marked "Ottomans" or something. This with many huge armies for the taking of territory maybe. Not overboard in troop numbers but just normal.

I'm thinking if it can happen make it an emerging faction like the Mongols of Genghis Khan do in normal MTW2. Start them off with a few huge armies and then make it continue.

It would be preferable for no civilisations to go because they all play a crucial part in the game. If it is that decision that should be yous guys to decide; but it should be a minor one IF AND HOPEFULLY NOT it has to happen.

To Leroux3369 Thank you for the website I shall use it when I get to friesland.

Until next time, when I shall post my research on just about all east of the HRE, all the best

[WOT]{Emp}General_Vladimir

To Vlad : even if it's an emerging faction it's a faction and because the number of faction is limiter at 31 we must choose . But we'll perphaps think of a version with the Ottoman Empire....

Indeed Sinople Damnit!!

But if needs be.. I think take out the Caliphate of Cordou because as it was said previously:

January 30, 2008 11:21 PM bobfish Caliphate of Cordoue is not correct for the starting time period of the campaign.

It should be the Almoravids as shown on your map, the border of them and the Christians is probably a little optimistic though, I would add a row of rebel provinces between them, as well as making Hammadids of Algeria and Zirids of Tunisia rebel factions too. Most of Spain would be of Muslim faith at this time as well, with the North and North West provinces being predominantly Christian, the rest was predominantly Muslim even if the ruling faction was Christian in those areas.
    So maybe we get rid of that one because you already have Spain and Portugal?? And it is historically inaccurate to start the game with it then I'm thinking get rid of that one put in The Ottoman Empire. In regards to which impacted history more it would be the Ottoman Empire.

But lets see what else... Hmm...Duchy of Bohemia. I think those. But best best I think is Duchy of Cordoue. I don't know you's decide just so it is a really minor faction and won't get rid of the historical value of the game.

My research notes will be posted up soon.

Until then all the best and lets make a decision. OH and yes to another version sounds good as well Then you would get feedback which civilisations they liked and that But I think the first should have it as history would have its play with them, but yeh.

in 1100 Coatia was part of the Hungarian crown...so I think Croatia shouldn't be in this game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6...C3%A1lm%C3%A1n

I don't wanna be rude but it's the truth

Hail all!

I beg to differ Cimbye.

The Kingdom of Croatia was an independent state from circa 925 until 1102 covering most of what is today Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Balkans. The state was ruled mostly by native Croats of Trpimirović dynasty until 1102, when the Kingdom of Hungary gained control of the state. After that, Croatia remained a distinct crown attached to that of Hungary until the abolition of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918.

To further supplement this argument.

However, when Coloman returned in 1102, they yielded and recognised him as the common king for Croatia and Hungary in a treaty often referred to as the Pacta Conventa. Though its independence was lost by entering into a personal union with Hungary, it never became a part of the Kingdom of Hungary but was rather a separate kingdom, most of the time a vassal but sometimes an equal.

As thus demonstrated. Kingdom of Croatia is a valid standing kingdom. It was a vassal, but unfortunately for this period it starts 2 years before the collapse.

As Sinople said it would be the most challenging faction because the Hungarians are breathing down the necks of the Croats. Only 2 years after this campaign begins does in history Croatia become but a vassalage of Hungary

So I think it should stay in the game as thus, because Croatia has a right to be a kingdom as thus history states it.

@ General Vladimir and Cimbye :

Yes you're right . The game begins in 1100, and two years are two years, so Croatia isn't in Hungary in 1100

You still list Caliphate of Cordoue as a faction when it was long dead by 1100.

in 1092 Ladislaus I of Hungary had already marched into Croatia with his armies and he took Álmos for Croatian king, so Croatia became the "vassal" of the Kingdom of Hungary so I think Croatia should be the vassal of Hungary and some hungarian armies should be in Croatia, and Hungary can easily can invade the country in 2 turns. This would be the historical.

King Yngvar's Avatar Senator

Hmm, it would only take two factions to include the holy land as well; Egypt and Jerusalem. Could perhaps replace Brabant and Aquitaine or the Swiss... Nothing as fun as being an isolated northern kingdom like Ireland or Norway going on crusades against Egypt.