Thread: Inflation - what cause it and how to prevent/reduce it??

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Inflation - what cause it and how to prevent/reduce it??

Ok, I have inflation problem for my Scotland campaign now and it is a BIG DEAL because my economy simply cannot afford even a smallest rise of price. Therefore what cause inflation and how to prevent/reduce it??

Default Re: Inflation - what cause it and how to prevent/reduce it??

The only way I know to reduce inflation is to use the National Bank in NI slot.
    But it's going to take a long time.

Nutsack's Avatar Primicerius

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98968

I had the same question a while back, look it out.

Great, I think I would stop minting money even it is 0.1 (so harsh this game, even 0.1 does not allow).

Another question, how to improve the economy of Scotland?? Although the price is cheap but colonization needs quite a lot of money... I don't want to vassal Irish Minors because I want them to pin down England (who already prepare an army on our border; only my good relation with Norway, France and Irish stop their intention).

Ok, I find out even I don't mint money the inflation is still rising up, although slower in pace. Can someone explain to me what is happening now??

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Ok, I find out even I don't mint money the inflation is still rising up, although slower in pace. Can someone explain to me what is happening now??
    If you move your mouse over your treasury slider (iirc), you'll get information where you get your inflation from.

Really?? Where is it??

click your big coat of arms/flag at the top left corner of the game screen, go to the research tab, and at the bottom of all the sliders (gov, land, naval trade, etcetcetc) is the treasury slider!!!!!

Play the tutorials and then read the manuals as you play from there on out......TRUST ME the saved my life!

verrrry steep learning curve this game has

BYZANTIUM WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rhetoric is the art of controlling the minds of men"
    Plato

I still haven't read the manual, actually - should probably get around to that

Point, click, lose, learn, restart - it actually works
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    There is always something that causes inflation.
    But you can build certain buildings(forgot their names) that reduces inflation and as well an national idea.
    With all those built and chosen your inflation will go down 0.9 or something.
    But that treasury slider is a tempting one.

In my current game as the Mughals (started as Bihar) my inflation is 77%.

My tech is going...slow, but other than that it's not so bad.

I'm something like 18 gov techs away from tax assessors in 1706 so...it's not going anywhere.
    Last edited by ajm317; December 17, 2007 at 10:02 AM.

Tax assessors take forever to get to, unfortunately.

Well, if you don't have European culture... Ya, tax assessor takes forever to get... Even you are European culture nations it also would not help as your finance usually do not allow you to build any. Therefore at least you are some guys like Pope you normally would not touch tax assessor.

The best way I find to rise a big army is taking loan and raise war tax, although it is very risky method for small nation; so the best choice is never starting a war before you are ready to have one.

Damn, my Protugal campaign is turning into a colonial compeitition. For unknown reason Aragon and Toulouse conquered both Maya and Azetc without my notice, and they are expanding their North-East Asian colonies like wild fire... I don't know, but now I seriously pray Pan-Asia Alliance will crusade those two heretics (Pan-Asia Alliance - a grand alliance between Manchuria, Ming, Korea and Japan. Notable that Ming has half of South-East Asia now).

Wait, Toulose?

Toulose the vassal of France?

With inflation you really need to keep monitoring it from the start and adjusting your minting to keep it under control, at the start it's ok to let your inflation rise a bit but I'd say 5% is the limit. It's also good to get the national idea early on that reduces inflation by 0.1% a month.

Here's a wiki for Europa Universalis 3: http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page

Here's the manual for Europa Universalis 3 if you don't have it or lost it: http://jarcas.dreamhosters.com/rdocs...anual_-_PC.pdf (it takes quite a while to load, even on fast broadband or cable since theres lots of information being downloaded. If you manage to load it, save it to your pc so you wont have to keep downloading it).

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon Huscarl View Post
    With inflation you really need to keep monitoring it from the start and adjusting your minting to keep it under control, at the start it's ok to let your inflation rise a bit but I'd say 5% is the limit. It's also good to get the national idea early on that reduces inflation by 0.1% a month.
    5% inflation is nothing. It has practically no effect on the economy.

Sure inflation is bad, but people are far too scared of it. The National Bank is an ok idea, but not great. The maximum impact it can have is to cut inflation by 10% a century (it's .1% a year, not per month). I'd pick it up as my 3rd or 4th idea, maybe later than that. I mean, you can do much better than a 10% improvement on your economy over 100 years with ideas like NTP, QFTNW, SCP, Deus Vult, Colonial Ventures, Viceroys, Smithian Economics etc. National banks main draw is that it's useful for any play style, whereas something like Viceroys is absolutely useless if you're a land empire.

Playing as a European nation my inflation usually tops out at between 25 and 30%. At about that time I get tax assessors and it starts to go back down. Really, 30% inflation is not the end of the world, as long as you have something to show for it. If you have 30% inflation as a 3 province nobody in the middle of Germany, yeah, that's bad, but if you have 30% inflation as a 150 province colonial empire, no big deal. You've increased your economy by far more than 30% since the start of the game.

In order to make money in this game you have to spend money. In order to make a lot of money you have to spend a lot of money. In order to spend a lot of money you have to mint. So you get a bit of inflation along with that. Big deal. Nothing wrong with paying 10% more for stuff if you've got 50% more money.
    Last edited by ajm317; December 21, 2007 at 11:58 AM.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

Upto a point the above post is true, but the impact it has on technology costs are prohibitive. I never go above 5% if I can help it. I don't care about the cost of troops. ajm is correct that getting a 150% increase in economy for 30% inflation is good money sense in terms of practical things but terrible for abstract purchases (eg technology). Technological costs also go up as you expand your empire. The most efficient is something like 8 provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    Upto a point the above post is true, but the impact it has on technology costs are prohibitive. I never go above 5% if I can help it. I don't care about the cost of troops. ajm is correct that getting a 150% increase in economy for 30% inflation is good money sense in terms of practical things but terrible for abstract purchases (eg technology). Technological costs also go up as you expand your empire. The most efficient is something like 8 provinces.
    Technology only scales up with empire size to something like 85 provinces (unless they changed that with NA) after that size has no effect. So if you have less than that you have to watch what provinces you acquire and make sure you're not adding crap ones, but above that bigger is always better.

Except in regards to stability.

Quote Originally Posted by scottishranger View Post
    Wait, Toulose?

Toulose the vassal of France?
    Not vassal of France. In my game France was reducing to tiny nation after one hundred years war against Burgury and Aragon, despite it was the most powerful nation in 1500s. Toulose was a releasing nation after a war between France and Aragon thirty years ago, and due to the same religion between Aragon and Toulose (Reformed), they become good friends and doing all wrong doings together.

My current Portugal campaign has a lot of alternative history (like Lithunia conquered Muscovy and all Muslims in Russia).