Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent Official NTW2 Screenshots Compiled

Default Re: Screenshot Comments

it's not new, that's the "french allies" flag

Those Prussians are awesome, great work indeed!

Hello,
    great work ppl, keep it coming, just one little question: Why don't the prussians wear their haversacks? They had to wear them all the time and they aren't present on any of the models you have made so far, English, French, Russians or Prussians, you gave them the blankets which they never really wore during battle but you didn't give them their haversacks. Just figured you should know about this little mistake, if you want pics let me know.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Where did you dig up those schutze from?? The was nothing like a schutze formation in the prussian army in the 1815 war, well there weren't any after the 1813 military reforms, just filisiers and jeagers. The schutze were present in the prussian army in the 1806/07 war and they looked almost exactly the same as the musketeer regiments they just had a different pompon colour and had those big feather like things attached to the bicorns.

just my two cents
    Last edited by Raguel; September 16, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
    Adeo mori servus Imperator Fictus. Ave Dominus Nox!

The Prussian cuirassiers were equipped with breastplates by 1814, since a large quantity of them was captured in Paris 1813. For a Waterloo-Scenario armoured cuirassiers are imperative therefore imho.

(cf. Ortenburg, G.: Waffen der Revolutionskriege, in: Heerwesen der Neuzeit, Vol.5, p.27; p.107)
    Ρέζου λογίου πελάτης (Client of the eloquent Rez)

Lord Zimoa's Avatar Slitherine Games
    Citizen

The Prussian cuirassiers were equipped with breastplates by 1814, since a large quantity of them was captured in Paris 1813. For a Waterloo-Scenario armoured cuirassiers are imperative therefore imho.
    Some Prussian Cuirassiers Regiments had armour, but many had not, incomplete or in different colours, mixing Russian and French cuirasses. Therfore we decided not to give them to the Prussians. The Prussian Garde du Corps will have them as the entire regiment was equiped black cuirasses by the Russian Tzar.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Where did you dig up those schutze from?? The was nothing like a schutze formation in the prussian army in the 1815 war, well there weren't any after the 1813 military reforms, just filisiers and jeagers. The schutze were present in the prussian army in the 1806/07 war and they looked almost exactly the same as the musketeer regiments they just had a different pompon colour and had those big feather like things attached to the bicorns.
    You are wrong, Shuetzen originally were rifle units that accompanied the Prussian Fusiliers(Lights), depending on what period you are looking between 10-22 per company. After the reforms they were abandoned, but a Silesian Shuetzen battalion was formed, in 1814 a Guard Shuetzen Battalion was added.

The situation with the Jaeger is similar but reversed, after 1808, the Guard Jaeger and East Prussian Jaeger were formed. Late 1815 a third was being recruited.

So basically there were not much of both.

The main Prussian Light unit between 1808-1814 wre the Fusiliers battallions not Jaeger, a Fusilier battalion was added to Line regiments. I think there were about 12 Fusiliers battalions after the reorganisations of 1808-1809.

Outside that the Prussians used a lot of rifled volunteers.

Making them all would be to much so we will have Fusiliers, Silesian Shuetzen and Guard Jaeger in MP.

LZoF
    Last edited by Lord Zimoa; September 16, 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Unarmoured cuirassiers in 1815 are news to me and I am willing to learn, but…

According to Ortenburg, all units were equipped with cuirasses by April 1814. Adalbert Mila reports the the Kürassier-Regiment Kaiser Nikolaus I. von Russland (Brandenburgisches) Nr. 6 and the officiers of Gardes du Corps getting yellow cuirasses, while the other units (all of them) got white and again, this was finished by April. (cf. Mila,A.: Geschichte der Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der Königlich Preussischen Armee in den Jahren 1808 bis 1878. Zugleich eine Ergänzungsschrift der Uniformirungs-Liste des Deutschen Reichs-Heeres, Berlin 1978).

Contemporary sources (Wolf, L./Jügel, F.: Abbildung der neuen Königl. Preuß. Armee-Uniformen, Heft 7, 1814) show no cuirassiers past 1813 without breastplates.
    Here two examples from Heft 7 depicting Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Großer Kurfürst (Schlesisches) Nr.3, meant to be representative for Prussia's cuirassiers:
    http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/696...tafel51hq8.jpg
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9...tafel52lo6.jpg

Since the Brandenburgisches Nr.6 was not participating in the 1815-campaign, you don't need to worry about their cuirass-colour. All of the participating units, exept of Garde du Corps, wore white cuirasses.

I would like to see your sources. I like the looks of the unarmoured cuirassiers more than that of the armoured cuirassiers (and you have done them very well). However, I am convinced they had breastplates.
    Last edited by FliegerAD; September 16, 2006 at 08:10 PM.

Hmmm,
    checked some thing out and....there were schutzen but, pls show me your sources that they had green uniforms cause I have found a tablet depicting them in blue and the officer in green:

http://www.grosser-generalstab.de/adjutant.html

go Deutsche Uniformen v. H. Knötel d.J. u. M. Lezius then 1813-1815 next and go infantry

As to the amount used I have found this info:

+ 315-365/375 "Schlesische" Schützen
    2 companies of "Schlesische" Schützen [total of 316-350 men]
    . Garde-Schützen-Battalion

So about 1100 men, not really worth mentioning.

as to the cuirassiers I only found pics of unarmored ones on the same page.

And just a reminder, because you seemed to have ignored my post about the haversacks and you shouldn't as they were ordered to be worn all the time by the regulations.

Citizen

Not ignored, we use full dress for the units, not campaign dress. As RTW is clone war we thought it might look better. Units are all incorrect in this perspective as they normally would not fight in full dress, well some Guard did, but we liked the full dress better than making all clone armies in greatcoat, shako covers, haversacks, long trousers etc...Also to try to give some more visual differentations and let us be honest they look damn good in full dress don`t they.

I have the allmost complete works of H. Knötel junior and R. Knötel senior here at home. Check the amound of Jaeger or Shuetzen at Waterloo and you will see in general Rifled units were only there in small units. We decided to have only two Rifled units for the Prussians in MP. As basically Shuetzen/Jaeger/Freiwillige Jaeger/Scharfschuetzen are all Rifled units that do the same job perfectly, we made a choice. We wanted the Guard Jaeger in for sure, so for the other unit we could have picked a Jaeger unit as a base. But because of the great battle reputation of the Silesian Shuetzen, there slightly different uniform that would contrast nicely from the Guard Jaeger we picked them. they also participated in the 100 days campaign. So it is not historically incorrect like you found out yourself, it is just a matter of choice made by us.

About the Prussian cuirassiers, as we have in the back of our mind making some 1813 battles later as well, it is easier for us making them without. We always have to find a balance, we do Waterloo, but we also might use them for other battles were they had no armour at all and we have MP play, fact is for the greatest part of the Napoleonic Wars they did not wear them at all. Maybe we make another with cuirass especially for Waterloo. We will see. The Garde du Corps will wear them for sure, just to ease your mind a bit.

LZoF
    Last edited by Lord Zimoa; September 17, 2006 at 04:09 AM.

The Knötel pictures concerning the cuirassiers from grosser-generalstab.de show a state of 1813, as the few plates with commentaries on this site reveal.

I have given you academic literature and contemporary source material (what better than that?) in order to help you. If you want, you can see the royal order to rearm the cuirassiers with the captured breastplates in Großer Generalstab (Ed.): Das preußische Heer im Jahre 1814 u. 1815, Berlin 1914.

If this mod would not include Waterloo, an absence of armoured cuirassiers would be tolerable (although partial, rather individual rearming began after Leipzig), but in Waterloo they must present, imho.

Maybe we make another with cuirass especially for Waterloo.
    That would be great!

Citizen

That would be great!
    You convinced us, we will make two versions now.

Thanks,

LZoF

Ok full dress is fine, but they haversacks were used in battle as well as their coats, just that these were folded and carried like the schutze do. I know that you don't want to have an army of clones but at least give some of the units haversacks so that it they are present at all, can give them to the line units and that would be fine, because so far no unit is wearing them, if these were Poles I'd say that it was ok asd they had great problems with uniforms and equipement, heh, at the beginning their entire equipement was of Prussian origin, uniforms, weapons, ammunition bags, even the chakos. As to the visual effect, don't you think that such a small detail would please a person's eye even more?

As to the schutze uniforms, just saying that you made them green and their uniforms were blue, the jeagers wore green as the tablets show.

One more thing, weren't the Red lancers present at the very beginning of the mod? I know I can recall two units of lancers with one being the now present Polish Lancers and the other one being the Red ones. Just a tip that they aren't really new .

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zimoa of Flanders
    You convinced us, we will make two versions now.
    Truely great!

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

I was wondering if you would be doing Sweden and Denmark too? I mean they where quite active during this timeframe and had influence in northern Europe.. Denmark was also an ally of Napoleon.

As far as I know they're not. Plus the Swedes under Bernardotte barely did anything at all part from pretending they're actually there

Citizen

As to the schutze uniforms, just saying that you made them green and their uniforms were blue, the jeagers wore green as the tablets show
    No sorry wrong again, the Silesian Shuetzen were in green as well.

LZoF

Citizen

We might do the Austrians, but it is way to early to tell right now if we make another faction after the 1815 Waterloo is finished, it will be Austrians that is for sure.

LZoF

Anarius's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Raguel
    As far as I know they're not. Plus the Swedes under Bernardotte barely did anything at all part from pretending they're actually there
    But Denmark should be in. Copenhagen was on fire.

awsome units! i cant belive everyone said its impossible to make gun units and u have proved them wrong well done!! Lovly cannons aswel btw

Wow, incredible !
    You are professionals or what ?
    Impressive, you guys are gifted.

I like the screenies and the idea of adding firearm infantry and cannon arty(artillery). GJ, and when is NTW2 going to be released?
    Thanks!
    I came, I saw, I owned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast