Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supply traits

Default Re: Supply traits

Are the elven generals going to be treated differently with this trait?

It will be tricky, because there's no way to know when they are leading an army of ELves and when an army of Men, but we'll try to make it work. Chances are they'll get a bonus compared to Men.

Maybe a counter trait to reduce the normal supply traits by a percentage, tks for the quick reply and don't waste time replying to this as I don't want to hold up the good work

Don't worry, the time it takes to post is insignificant compared to the time it takes to do even the smallest thing in the mod.

Not sure yet about the exact way we'll go about this, time will tell.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Don't worry, the time it takes to post is insignificant compared to the time it takes to do even the smallest thing in the mod.

Not sure yet about the exact way we'll go about this, time will tell.

Oh I see what you did there

At least work is still ongoing, since we have never seen any indication it's stopped and the continued dedication is clear.

Don't suppose for generals up near the Shire there will be any pipe-weed traits?

Why not!

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Why not!
    Squeeeeeee!!!!

It will be interesting to see the effects of the "pipe weed" trait something along the lines of the Palantir's effects with maybe a downside to trade as the trait becomes more advanced "hooked on the weed of little people" expends large amount of time, money and manpower searching for his next smoke On the supply trait for the elves they could have a trait or ancillary "Lembas" that counter acts the first level or 2 of the "out of supply trait"

That could also be possible for those that have trade with the elves.

I know "pipe weed" has become something of a joke in popular culture, but Tolkien didn't (I think) really have anything stronger than tobacco in mind ... and I don't even think it was as addictive as tobacco.

Not to harsh anyone's buzz.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

I was talking about lembas

Count's post was directed to your post, I think.

I thinking he's talking about insolent. On a side note, the lembas is a good idea no?

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Not a good idea. Lembas are very very very special. There's a brief text in the HoME Vol XII "The Peoples of Middle-earth". First of all it's not an ordinary grain that is used for lembas. The grain originated in Valinor were it was grown by Yavanna herself. The grain was harvested in a very special manner.

"The Eldar grew it in guarded lands and sunlit glades; and they gathered its great golden ears, each one, by hand, and set no blade of metal to it. The white haulm was drawn from the earth in a like manner, and woven into corn-leeps for the stroring of the grain [...]. From the ear to the wafer none were permitted to handle this grain, save those elven-women who were called Yavannildi, the maidens of Yavanna; and the art of the making of the lembas, which they learned of the Valar, was a secret among them, and so ever has remained."
    - The Peoples of Middle-earth, Of Lembas

Also as a custom, only a queen was to distribute lembas; and they distributed them very rarely.
    So in general, the picture of lembas that came up over time is almost completely wrong. There was not a big storage of lembas in any bigger Elven settlement and for sure it was not given to the army. Probably it was not even directly involved in warfare, because it was a 'sacred'. This is but my own suggestion, but regarding the fact that the lembas are named coimas in Quenya which means 'life-bread' it's unlikely that it was made for war. Regarding the very last sentence of the text I'd even doubt that, after Galadriel and her maidens had sailed into the West, someone remained back in Middle-earth who knew the secret of the lembas.
    Last edited by Thangaror; April 11, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Considering my knowledge of the books extends only as far beyond the trilogy is to the hobbit and simerilion, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Oh, it's ok when you just say: You freak!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

That's the type of fans that keep us on our toes afraid that we're gonna do somehting wrong.

I give props to those whose research goes beyond my own. I am a researcher, its what I do. Legal mostly, but research nonetheless.

I was just reading the passage in FotR where Galadriel gave the Fellowship the Lembas bread, and I didn't get the impression it was as special as Thangaror said it was. Gimli thought it was cram which to me indicates that it wasn't too far different from the dwarven(or was it Beorning?) waybread. If it was as special and rare as HoME said it was, I would think it would have appeared more special and Tolkien would have spent more time describing it. (Plus, I find it suspect that Galadriel would have hung onto some lembas since she first left for Middle Earth from Valinor was back when in the first age.)

Is it at all likely that there was both the special lembas bread Thangaror described and a 'basic' version that is similar to dwarven waybread?
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Tolkien doesn't go into too much detail about lembas, because there's no need to. The fact that the "packaging" and purpose of it was similar to cram (to Gimli's eyes at least) isn't indicative of anything either.

I really doubt there were two versions of it; there's no indication about it anywhere and the Elves would certainly have different names for them, if that was the case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast