Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

Quote Originally Posted by lolspek View Post
    I only get this messages in some events, like marriage or spy things
    When the movies are supposed to play? You can disable them in the medieval2.preferences.cfg.

Default Re: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

I think so, but when I try to open the document, i get an pop-up with:

sorry, windows doesn't know with what kind of program this document is made,
    please select a program of the list of try to search on-line.

This is what the file contains(preferences):
    PK .;r* + medieval2.preference.cfg‹.LI͏*Ey\‰@œœԢb[C^. PK .;r* + $ medieval2.preference.cfg

&} e^'~
    &}PK j `

I don't think this is right, could you copy paste your file please? (and say what I need to change for having no movies)
    Last edited by lolspek; December 16, 2009 at 02:54 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If the cfg file gives you grief, make a backup and delete the original. The game SHOULD generate a new cfg file.

Edit: to work with the cfg file, ALWAYS use Notepad. Winword, Word and other programs like that leave some hidden formatting that the game does not accept (CTD here I come).

the game doesn't makes a new one? Do I need to reinstall the game? or is there a way to download the file somewhere?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Reading makes free:
    The game SHOULD generate a new cfg file.
    After removing the cfg file, simply start your game. Play a round, then exit. Your brand new cfg file should be in the root directory of the game.

GiGantus is simply saying you need to not just simply load but trigger the auto save I believe

ok thnx, but now I have antother problem.
    I tried to reinstall te game because of an other error, and now this appears at 60-80%

Feature transfer error
    feature: english
    file: G:\m2tw\Disk2\data3.cab

I have been having the same error come up. It only happens when I finish sacking Inverness. I have already taken Edinburgh so it might be related to the scots being eliminated. I have only had this error pop up with my kingdoms game when I started a battle but that was because I had reinstalled the normal m2tw while I had kingdoms installed.

This current problem is with normal m2tw and I have not made any modifications to it or unpacked the files. I will still try to fix it on my own if I can but any help would be appreciated.

Reinstall Medieval2 with Kingdoms installed? Not good.

If you want a Kingdoms campaign to read the Medieval2 files as it is supposed to, you will have to reinstall both.

I knew that kingdoms wouldn't work properly If I didn't reinstall that as well but I hadn't planned on playing it anytime soon. I didn't know it would stuff up m2tw base game though. If I reinstall kingdoms will the problem be fixed in my save game or only in new games? Do I have to reinstall all four of the kingdoms games?
    Last edited by Mythman13; December 16, 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Did you install patches 1.02 and 1.03 also or is it just.1.0?

You reinstall Kingdoms it will put medieval2 back to 1.03.

I didn't install the patches as they would take hours upon hours to download at my speed but I have reinstalled both kingdoms and normal m2tw several times. Do I have to reinstall all four of the kingdoms games?

From my experience it runs better that way. They seem to work better with all the campaigns installed when you install the last patch. That atch seems to have little fixes for all four.

Thanks. the automatic updates have fixed it. Thanks for your help.

I changed medieval2.prefence.cfg to:

[video]
    widescreen=0
    [game]
    allusers=0

I did it with the notebook en I also changed the file into read only.
    The game still crashes when a video event is supposed to play.
    What am I doing wrong?

You have to play a turn so you get the full .cfg. In it are lines for event movies, assassination movies, etc., but you have to play a turn so the game can make you one.

Hi!
    It seems I have the same problem with this error.
    I installed the game from an original CD but then, when I try to run the game, after the first window where I click PLAY, the program crashes with this error
    "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

I tried install the game several times but nothing changes, I have a new PC so I don't think it's a problem of System requirements....

Someone could please help me?????????
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by molen View Post
    Hi!
    It seems I have the same problem with this error.
    I installed the game from an original CD but then, when I try to run the game, after the first window where I click PLAY, the program crashes with this error
    "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

I tried install the game several times but nothing changes, I have a new PC so I don't think it's a problem of System requirements....

Someone could please help me?????????
    Thanks a lot!
    What your computer specs as in cpu, memory, video card, operating system?

Did you install from the old original dvd, Gold Edition, or other? vanilla 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3? Any mods?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Windows 7
    Processor i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz
    RAM 4 GB
    System type 64 bit
    Video card NVIDIA GeForce GT220

The game is original (Golden Edition), bought in a shop today..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast