Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

Icon4 "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

oh great now i have another problem. when i try to launch it says that "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit." What do i do?
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

AytchMan's Avatar Civis

Default Re: what can i do?

Could be lots of things:

Can't find the exe file.
    Cd not in drive.
    Bad install.
    Don't meet minimum system requirements.
    Illegal copy.

Try rebooting your system. See if that solves it.

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

Default Re: what can i do?

Moved to Technical Help
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Default Re: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

check your System Events Log and see what error you got.
    Click START, right click MY COMPUTER; click MANAGE.

then expand SYSTEM EVENTS
    check what errors you got there.

Default Re: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

My medieval 2 total war worked for a couple of days ago but when i "cleaned" my harddrive it doesn't work anyone knows why??

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

You "cleaned" it too good. Finish uninstalling it even if you have to manually and reinstall it.

i got "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit." when a clip(video) appears
    for example,when i'm spying something,,it should appear a clip in game,,but it exits with this error
    can someone help me with this??

Are you playing a mod? Which faction? Which settlement?

any faction or settlement,the clip doesn't appear,the game is shouting down

Post your dxdiag.

You can disable the movies in the medieval2.preferences.cfg.

After unpacking the Kilimanjaro of files required for editing buildings etc., I got "unspecified" errors as soon as the battle deployment screen appeared (and all I did was add the unmounted Gothic knights to the export_descr_buildings file). Naturally, that makes the game a bit unplayable. I didn't check if things were alright if I did not use the "filefirst" command thingie, though perhaps I should have. I uninstalled the whole thing (Gold version), and am now in the process of reinstalling the whole thing again. Hopefully I won't have to unpack the files again (they are still there, but I'm not sure to what extent they overwrite stuff, or should overwrite stuff).

Aaaaaalmost done, now.

Edit: Come to think of it, I never did delete those geography files... I did make a mental note of it after reading the readme, but the unpacking took bloody ages and afterwards I just forgot about it. Well, that was an hour well spent!
    Last edited by Kissaki; October 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Enjoy playing when you get back to that point. Any future problems, come on in.

Ok, now everything seems to be working swimmingly, battles and all. Well, first it was, "wrong disc inserted?? This is total BS! Oh wait, it is the wrong disc."

I then started a test campaign with the HRE. They start out with an army conveniently placed next to a rebel city, so I could soon test out the battle thing. I actually ran into an unrelated bug, here. I lay siege to the city, and hit end turn. Winter came, and my army had vanished in thin air. This bug was fortunately not re-occuring, but I expect I'll have to be on the watch-out for it in the future. This bug was also present before any of the editing hoo-haa, as I had the same thing happen to one of my priests before, so it's certainly not my fault. I'll have to do a search for that bug on these forums.

One odd thing: the medieval2preference file was the same as before my uninstall, as it had the filefirst thing in it. It was also this time not write-protected, though I know it was before I uninstalled.

So far it seems that it is not necessary to do the unpacker routine all over again after a reinstall, but I'll have to wait and see with that one.

First rule of Medieval2 is don't unpack unless you are going to mod or a mod you wish to install specifically says to. It causes more problems than it's worth.

Second rule is if you are goig to chnae the medieval2.preferences.cfg, make it read-only. The game will overwrite it if not.

Third rule is there are many random errors and many are hard to reproduce. If you can get by saving and reloading a lot, you are ahead.

Fourth rule the file first switch in the cfg file is a lifesave when you do unpack or play mods.

Enjoy the game.

I wouldn't call it modding, but I am planning to do quite a bit of tweaking of the unit and building stats, to make them a bit more "true to form" and give them a balance I am comfortable with. For that I had to unpack. Maybe I could have managed to have unpacked only the files I needed (no more than 4-6 .txt files, tops), but I'm not as computer literate as all that. I figure it was worth the risk. Thanks for the warning, though.

It is called modding as in you are modifying the stats. Call it splitting hairs if you want. To me, it's also part of the game.

Enjoy yourself.

I got the same problem but I can't open medieval2.preference.cfg

Sorry for the probs with me :p

Is it read-only or you don't have admin rights to open it?

It seems that I can 't open cfg. programs, so I did it with word, but the error is still there...

I only get this messages in some events, like marriage or spy things

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast