Thread: GREECE: the Ancient Diolkos in peril

Default GREECE: the Ancient Diolkos in peril

The Diolkos, the famous paved road constructed around 600 BC has been called the world’s first railway.

It was an engineering feat, used to transport ships by land over the Isthmus of Corinth, Greece. Thucydides, in his account of the Peloponnesian Wars (late 5th c. BC) mentions Diolkos, as it was used to haul entire war fleets from the Corinthian to the Saronic Gulf… Centuries later, Octavian also used this route to trasport over land his lighter ships after the battle of Actium …

Diolkos is rather a forerunner of the tramway. Part of its excavated remains bear the grooves made by the wheels of the trolleys onto which the ships were placed and transported. There is also a part of the monument where one can clearly see that ruts had been cut into the stone, at a distance of 1,50m between them.

Although unique in its kind and rich in history, the Diolkos has never been protected since the time of excavation (~1960), progressively crumbling into the water at its western end.

In an effort to save and restore the defenceless structure, we have created an international petition at

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/870477005

We invite you to sign and help preserve this historical monument.

Sofia Loverdou – freelance science journalist
    Yiannis Balafoutas – Retired teacher, writer

More information and images in ENGLISH, at www.greece.org:8080/opencms/opencms/HEC_Projects/DIOLKOS/
    Images and comments in GREEK, at www.greekarchitects.gr/index.php?maincat=8&newid=890 (2 pages)

Default Re: GREECE: the Ancient Diolkos in peril

signed.

Default Ancient Diolkos

Thanks !!!

For anyone who might hesitate to sign, I would like to say that...

1 - the petition asks to save and restore the monument: this had already been "promised" (but not fulfilled)
    2- signing does not mean interfering with the allocation of funds... Actually the whole project should have been financed long ago, with EU or other similar funds, had the relevant services ever cared to present a decent proposal... Instead, they had not even cared to have elementary information about the monument... actually ENSURING further degradation...

Thanks again for the support. The Diolkos resembles a badly tortured animal that cannot speak up. WE are its voice!

Flavius Nevitta's Avatar Civitate

signed as well

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

Signed, of course. Sadly, petitions tend to net have much effect; I remember an attempt to stop development of the site of the battle of Stamford Bridge last year that gathered an enormous number of e-protests and still, as last I heard of it, was still developed.
    -Client of ThiudareiksGunthigg-

tabacila speaks a sad truth:
    Well I guess fan boys aren't creatures meant to be fenced in. They roam free like the wild summer wind...

Default The TIMES for Diolkos...

Quote Originally Posted by Ringeck View Post
    Signed, of course. Sadly, petitions tend to not have much effect;
    Thanks for the signatures! The Diolkos petition is only one side of the effort to "corner" the authorities in acting in favor of this monument. Another side is the investigations by Justice Authorities...

This petition, however, has accomplished something BEFORE it was even started. My e-mail to the Prime Minister's Office to notify them about my intention to start the petition, produced some comunication between this Office and the Ministry of Culture. The "information" given to the Prime Minister's Office BY the Ministry was distorted... so much so that I had the opportunity to comment it in detail and send a report to both Justice Authorities AND the Prime Minister.

The fact that so many people HAVE signed and that the signatures come from 81 countries, have also a considerable effect. These facts impress the media and I have been very keen on announcing details of this kind. By the way, the Prime Minister's Office has been notified many times on the petition's outcome - I don't just wait for the signatures to reach a certain number...

Furthermore, this petition - and all our signatures - are the VISIBLE proof that people DO CARE for Diolkos; otherwise the mechanisms that have left Diolkos unprotected all these years and even facilitated its destruction (by consistently lying every time anybody asked questions about it) would say that I am an isolated voice...

By the way, you can see two articles that have appeared at the british edition of the TIMES.

You can see the first (scanned by me) at:
    www.greece.org:8080/opencms/opencms/HEC_Projects/DIOLKOS/media/New_Papers/Times_-_July_10x_2006.html.

And one more at: www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article1409377.ece

Thanks for supporting Diolkos!!!

Signed.

Praepositus

why is needed to be saved?
    momunemts like that are thousands in Greece .
    Last edited by jo the greek; January 22, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

ozz's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    why is needed to be saved?
    momunemts like that are thousands in Greece .
    First off, because if we don't start somewhere, one day, the "thousands" will become "ZERO" (0) and secondly we don't have thousands of diolkos', it is a unique piece of ancient Greek engineering, there is nothing like it anywhere...

...and I'm glad to see people are still actively fighting to save world heritage, wish there were more people out there doing stuff like this.

signed
    Last edited by ozz; February 17, 2008 at 07:04 AM.

''ΑΝΔΡΩΝ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΩΝ ΠΑΣΑ ΓΗ ΤΑΦΟΣ'' - ΘΟΥΚΥΔΙΔΗΣ
    Hegemonia Website here, Hegemonia Forum here

Praepositus

u know how many similar things in greece that do not belong to the ancient like mania are left to rot
    Last edited by jo the greek; February 20, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

as a greek, why are you fighting this Jo? god your playing a devil's advocate a little too much.
    "contrast the rapid progress of this mischievous discovery with the slow and laborious advances of reason, science, and the arts of peace, a philosopher, according to his temper, will laugh or weep at the folly of mankind." - Gibbon